PDA

View Full Version : I think Dude's article was great

bernie
03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Path to learning (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/pruitt0306.html)

Being able to have a rap n yap with someone who's game you trust, face to face, is often overlooked. I wish I had that early on. Instead I usually got to/and still get, other than maybe 3 people that I can think of of which I rarely see, the dreamers and superstitious players who believe in lucky seats and that a good game means they're running good. You can't really take a conversation about the game with those types that seriously. It kinda blows when you realize you just wasted your time with them.

b

andyfox
03-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I agree. All his articles are great, but this is the first one I remember with good general advice, applicable to both poker and life, as opposed to specific poker advice. As an introverted person, it was very difficult for me to learn to rap n yap with other business people. But over the years it's helped me tremendously, usually with a useful tidbit or two picked up here or there, sometimes with major information that was valuable.

I wish I was as wise at his age as The Dude is. But it's never to late to learn.

Frosthawk
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM
This is something I have been thinking about alot for the last couple of months. I have been studying and trying to play seriously for a couple of years now and feel that I am at a point where I am suffering from both information overload and indecisiveness on how to put it all into a cohesive form if that makes sense. I feel that a mentor or an extremely knowledgeable instructor could provide the help needed to get me over this so called hump. Unfortunately, I live in the Kansas City area and this isn't exactly the ideal place to find such a person, especially since my main interest is in limit play and almost everyone I meet is playing the free no limit bar scene tournaments.

So, while I feel this article is right on the money I am still left with the question of how someone like me should go about finding a well qualified instructor or mentor.
Michael

BarronVangorToth
03-05-2006, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So, while I feel this article is right on the money I am still left with the question of how someone like me should go about finding a well qualified instructor or mentor.
Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely something I'd enjoy reading from Drew (as well as others who may be able to provide some guidance). It's understandable how he didn't tackle this aspect of it this month -- it's impressive he fit as much info and stuff to think about as he did in 1,000 words.