PDA

View Full Version : Second Shell OOP

Test_Eagles
09-23-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi guys, first post over here, heard a lot of good things about the place so hoping I can learn a few things here and maybe help out some people myself /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My first problem is with one of my most common things Ive found reguarly causing problems in my game, that is firing the second, or even third shell.

I posted a thread over on carplayer AKo Hand (http://forums.cardplayer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52565) where I basically posted a pretty generic hand.

I raise PrF from EP with AKo, miss a fairly standard flop with a f.draw, cont bet and get called.

So I fire the second shell, which is quite a big bet at this point (20BB)'s and slowly, get called again.

River blanks and I get stuck with a monster pot and AK high, stuck wondering whether my opponent has a busted draw.

-----------

The consensus of the responces was that generally, not only should I not fire the third shell, firing the second is usually a bad idea.

This is something I do often, apparently too often. I was just wondering if the consensus here is the same that it's generally a bad idea to fire the second shell OOP when you've missed it all. If so, Is this only because it's microstakes? Would 0.25/0.50 make much difference?

whyzze
09-23-2007, 07:49 AM
post hands! Against an unknown the answer is very rarely second barrel.

Post a hand with a particular read you had.

Test_Eagles
09-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Sorry! this was the hand:

---------

10-handed ring, $.10/0.25 microstakes. 100BB stacks. Guy had only sat down 12 hands or so ago

I am UTG+2 and make it $1.25 with A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Folds to the Cutoff who calls, blinds fold.

Pot is $2.85

FLOP: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet $2.20, CO calls

Pot is $7.25

Turn is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet $5, CO thinks for a while and calls

Pot is $17.25

Turn is 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

---------------

And I asked what my play was given there are a lot who play QJ/A8/A9 like this and a lot of busted spade draws too.

whyzze
09-23-2007, 08:02 AM
ok. well you turn bet is a little small and at this point it sounds like you smelled weakness and the flush missed so I guess shove.

I would never second barrel here without a read. The 9 changed nothing. The only thing he may fold on the turn is an 8. But he isn't folding a hand like 10 8.

Anyways in order to ever fire a second barrel you need as yourself questions.

how often does this opponent call a flop bet

how often does he fold to a turn bet

How does he play top pair

How does he play a draw

Is he aggressive

did the turn card change anything?

and many more.

If you decide it is likely he will fold. then bet