PDA

View Full Version : 50NL how do you play JJ when 3 low cards come ?

Tib
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Suppose you take the lead preflop, and you are now head up without position and make a standard continuation bet which is raised

Example :

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $66.70
Hero (BB): $53.72
UTG: $127.60
BTN: $46.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (4 Players)
UTG folds, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, BTN calls $2.00, SB folds

Flop: ($5.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $9.00</font>

how do you handle that situation

1. if the board is very drawy ( like the example )
2. if the flop is T52 rainbow

AFCBeer
09-21-2007, 11:11 AM
What is my opponents preflop calling range?

What is my opponents post flop betting tendencies?

The answer to these questions is crucial. If he is the type to call with speculative hands and semi-bluff his draws then stacks need to go in here. On the other hand if his preflop calling range is mainly pocket pairs and he is not the type to make moves on the flop then its a very easy fold.

Tib
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm talking about a general situation where vilain is unknow, like the example, where I played something like 20 hands with him. So suppose you have no read, what's your default line ?

AFCBeer
09-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Against an unknown you probably have to give them credit for having a hand that beats you. If your hand were KK then there would be lower overpairs that you beat. With JJ your either slightly ahead of a flush draw or way behind a higher pair/set.

mackthefork
09-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey there, Ive just had one similar, but not the same, I basically have the same question, this is vs a complete unknown btw.

Sorry not wanting to hijack your thread, but not wanting to create clutter either.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

UTG ($65.40)
Hero ($52.20)
Button ($49.85)
SB ($58.65)
BB ($48)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($5.75) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $7.4</font>, Hero calls $3.70.

Turn: ($20.55) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $55.5</font>, Hero calls $12.30 (All-In).

River: ($118.35) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $118.35

Mack

Harry Fong
09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Did you take it down Mack?

mackthefork
09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I think the main differences between yours and mine are

a) you didn't have a paired board so villians draws have slightly more value than in my hand, so making villian more likely to raise with a hand, but imo also more likely to raise with a random PP.

b) in your hand the villain has position on you so could be making a free card play, however that is not the case on my hand so I believe I made a mistake continuing after the turn card came and he led out confidently again and also seemed to be unfazed by all the draws out there.

Mack

mackthefork
09-21-2007, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you take it down Mack?

[/ QUOTE ]

No he had 88. I do think he'd play along with 55 77 99 and TT and possibly more, and also he is likely to let me know preflop if my JJ is no good, but I think he plays all other hands differently than he played this one, so many clues I ignored in my attempts to not be a sissy.

Mack

zooot
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
against an unknown you probably have to give them credit, take a note, and move on.

if you are unable to put villain on anything other than a standard/reasonable range for his actions i think you have to believe him.

on your example board, pretty much any Turn card is awful so while a minraise gives great odds i don't know about flat calling vs. an unknown.

on a dry board like you described, if i open preflop, bet flop, and get raised, i'm ruling out draws - so he's either got it or he doesn't. w/out a read i'm prob giving him credit (altho it sucks when you later see him do this w/ Ace-rag for TPTK)

take it fwiw - i am a nit /images/graemlins/frown.gif