PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - K7s against maniac, value bet river?

VLV
09-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Villain is 70/44/1 over 41 hands

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $28.40
BB: $12.30
UTG: $24.65
MP: $22.55
CO: $26.95
Hero (BTN): $25.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.55) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.20</font>, SB calls $2.20, BB folds

Turn: ($6.95) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>, SB calls $5.00

River: ($16.95) J/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
SB checks, Hero ???

On flop and turn he pretty much insta-checked. On the river, however, he thought a bit before checking, about 10 seconds.

frostbrn
09-21-2007, 06:03 AM
The problem here is that the pot is big enough on the river that you can't really bet for value without committing yourself if he shoves. Unless of course you decide to bet 1 or 2 bucks and fold EVERY time he shoves, if he does. Tough spot, but with the pot that big I usually check behind.

Waingro
09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
urk urk urk. Even against this guy, clubs got there, 8T got there. Obv he might call with a 9 or J, but he might fold as well. As crappy as might seem, I think you can check behind. And vomit when he tables KK.

panda
09-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Bet more on the turn, this is too drawy a board and he obv wants to call down with whatever he has. Then I possibly check river, dependant on his river aggression, although I think most villains like this lead their rivered flush.

Khumalo
09-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Pot flop, pot turn (hell, go for 1.5x pot on turn against certain 'maniacs.')

River seems like a check to me, but I'm not sure. His pause before checking might be fear of the flush (even if he has T8) or FPS with a flush. Reads help: how does he play his monsters, etc. I usually try to squeeze enough value on flop/turn in spots like these (versus villains like these) that I don't feel too bad checking behind on bad rivers and losing a little value against all his &lt; trips-GK hands (which might fold anyway to your river v-bet on a board that's finally become too scary.)

But yes, there is merit to going for thin value on the river (bet-call or shove, depending on pot-size, since you're committed) and extracting from all his worse 7x hands, pocket pairs (66, 88, TT), and hands like J10, J9, maybe A9. I've run into several varieties of maniac, and some are exceptional ATMs and will be in every pot and raise/call with any semblance of a made hand/draw/overcards. So go with your perception of this guy.