PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this easy for NASA?

Lestat
03-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Ok, so I'm not an engineer. But why is it so hard for NASA to prevent pieces of foam insulation from striking the heat protective tiles on the shuttles underbelly during lift-off? I'd think it would be a relatively easy matter to install some kind of protective shield between the orbiter and fuel tanks during lift-off. Perhaps something that could break away with the spent SRB's. Even if such a shield needed to be removed once in orbit, what is so hard about devising such a thing?

I'm sure the answer has to do with why I raise aces for a living instead of engineering things.

mroels
03-02-2006, 12:21 AM
corruption corruption corruption

bunny
03-02-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm no engineer either but I believe many of the problems with the shuttle stem from the fact that it was designed from the top down. Rather than using already existant technology and building up a shuttle out of it - NASA said here's what we want - team A design this bit, team B design that bit, etc etc. My (rather limited) understanding is that this top-down approach is quicker overall, but doesnt produce the optimal solutions.

wacki
03-02-2006, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if such a shield needed to be removed once in orbit, what is so hard about devising such a thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any idea what it costs to launch a fresh coat of paint into space?

Lestat
03-02-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm sure you're right about the design process, but this just seems like a REAL easy engineering problem to me. If not a shield, then some type of removable skin or something. I'm sure it's harder than it seems.

Johnny Drama
03-02-2006, 01:15 AM
http://image.misterart.com/grouppix/528x352/1000/g1818.jpg

MrMon
03-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Simple physics. The shield would need to be able to stop a 1 to 2 lb. object traveling at 500 mph. Any shield that could do that would be so heavy as to eliminate any lifting capability in the shuttle.

It's easier to just prevent the foam from falling off in the first place.