PDA

View Full Version : Study Group

deleteduser
09-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Anyone want to get a study group togeher for .10/.25 nl, I am a winning player at around 7 BB/100. Maybe 3-4 guys share HH's, we can talk more in depth just let me know if your interested.

BluEsiNsOuL
09-15-2007, 12:18 PM
sign me up please~

BlaketheflakE
09-15-2007, 12:23 PM
very interested. haven't posted much but i have played 50k hands at nl25

deleteduser
09-15-2007, 12:39 PM
pms sent

Poker Gestalt
09-15-2007, 01:27 PM
def interested

pm me please

globetrotter
09-15-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm interested too if you guys would like one more.

Frozinite
09-15-2007, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested too if you guys would like one more.

[/ QUOTE ]

CyberianBull
09-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Def interested. Also if anyone wants to IM me, I'd love to talk some poker with you guys. AIM = yklyachkin. Also if you can post your AIMs that would be great as well... or just PM me.

castigar
09-16-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm in...add me to MSN
spam@elendee.com

Spinners
09-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm in, if you need another one I'm very intersted I have a nice size poker tracker DB and am a winning .10/.25 and .25/.50 player.

checktheriver
09-16-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm interested to, I've played ~25k hands at nl25. PM me or AIM me (chkmyrivr)

duke186
09-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I'd be very interested in this. please pm me with info

gedanken
09-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm interested, too. What's the structure?

I'm just moving up from .05/.10: +16bb/100 over 1k hands at 25nl. I'd love to do some session reviews in a small group.

CyberianBull
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
The OP and I have been brainstorming some ideas on what would be the best way to do this. We have come up with two main ones:

1. Having a table open with one of the group members playing and relaying the info to the chat room where some of us are sitting so we can discuss the key hands, difficult spots, etc.

2. Another idea was for the group members to take turns and make a video of him/herself playing once a week or once every couple weeks. Discussion of the videos can take place in this thread. If some members don't have the resources to make the video, the members that do can pick up the slack and make an extra vid or two. Also, PM me if you have questions on how to make a poker vid -- there is also a sticky on here about it.

3. Just post some troubling hands in this thread and we can all give some feedback and discuss these hands to death. Although this can be done at the regular Microstakes forum.

Let us know what you all think,

Thanks and good luck at the tables.

09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
sign me up, I've played with you on UB CyBull, you just don't know it. AIM is MusicalShangrila. Moved up from 10nl through 25nl now breaking into 50nl with a 27 BI roll on my main FTP acct

z28dreams
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd be up for this.

I normally play 25nl right now, as I just moved down from 50nl after getting hammered /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let_it_rain
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey Guys I'm very keen aswell I was previously beating NL50, but went busto am on the comeback trail now. I'm super keen for this, think the best way would be to all get on an instant messager server at a set time and post HH'sdiscuss optimal strategy player's etc and once a month someone does a video

jk1986
09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm interested in starting this next week, ~24th, when I get out of the 9-5 and back into poker seriously. I will be playing 5k hands 25nl, assuming that goes well, 5k 50nl, then 100nl which is where my rolls at, then hopefully shots at 200nl before too long... This is assuming I still got it (which is the idea behind starting low again) - haven't played 6max over the summer, only HU 100nl.

Anyone who's interested in starting on monday, possibly doing video reviews PM me, and hopefully get a group of 4 or something. Only PM me if your actually going to follow through with it though!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let_it_rain
09-18-2007, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in starting this next week, ~24th, when I get out of the 9-5 and back into poker seriously. I will be playing 5k hands 25nl, assuming that goes well, 5k 50nl, then 100nl which is where my rolls at, then hopefully shots at 200nl before too long... This is assuming I still got it (which is the idea behind starting low again) - haven't played 6max over the summer, only HU 100nl.

Anyone who's interested in starting on monday, possibly doing video reviews PM me, and hopefully get a group of 4 or something. Only PM me if your actually going to follow through with it though!

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm probably not going to race throught these lower limits I'd be interested in starting on the 1st of Oct but happy to start before, and would like to hear from anyone who is interested in what i have suggested. PM me if your keen

resboard
09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm definately interested. I also have a good way for people to easily discuss

Chenpopo
09-18-2007, 01:41 PM
I am interested in any of the study groups. I have about 25k hands logged on PT in .10/.25 nl. PM me if anyone is interested in having me.

AZplaya
09-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm in

Let_it_rain
09-19-2007, 01:11 AM
bump

CyberianBull
09-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Hey what's up everyone. I guess I will start things off with a NL25 video for us to discuss. I just recorded it last night and there were a couple of tricky spots, but overall pretty standard play. The video can be downloaded here:

http://hosted.filefront.com/yklyachkin/

pacman2k7
09-19-2007, 04:21 AM
sign me up!! Pick me Pick me!

clowntable
09-19-2007, 04:45 AM
DLing it now, will comment once I get some time to watch it, hopefully this evening.

clowntable
09-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Watching now.
Advice one: don't use the slider :P
Get used to entering the amount in the box via the keypad, it'll be a lot easier once you add more tables
More productive advice to follow...
Also, for the sake of the video, display the pot size.

clowntable
09-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Didn't take any notes I'll def watch it again later and take notes and post them but there's one thing I noted that bothers me a bit. You repeat "I don't want to play this OOP" quite often and I think you might not quite understand what position actually is.

When you say OOP I take it you are always refering to the position relative to the button (aka absolute position) however a lot of times the position relative to the initial raiser is way more important.

A prime example of this can be seen @ around 37:50 on the right table where you hold Tc8c let's summarize the situation:
1) You hold Tc8c a hand that one wants to play for cheap in multiway pots
2) You get 1.35:0.25 odds which is excellent
3) Position is excellent and that's the most interesting part about this hand let me explain.....
-> absolutely call here

UTG is the initial raiser and you are in a position where you are last to act once he has acted and some other guy (BTN) is trapped in between.
Usual action is to check to the raiser who may or may not bet. BTN is next to act and if he raises you know you're beat and get out cheaply (unless you flop big).
If however you do flop a good hand BTN might very well put some dead money into the pot.

tl;dr: Being on the imediate right of the initial raiser is excellent because the expected action is to let him put in the first bet which means you'll effectively have position and see what everyone does.

Also note that the position of BTN is actually quite bad eventhough most people would call there and give the explaination "we have position"
(Sounds more complicated than it actually is :P)

p.s.: A hand like this is why posting videos is good. Not many people will think of posting a HH of such an "easy fold PF" in their mind. But in a video hands that seem pretty standard to you but that might actually not be come up a lot and some people will pick up on them and be able to comment on the more bread and butter situations like these /images/graemlins/smile.gif

inverted
09-19-2007, 07:42 AM
keen if you will take someone who plays mostly NL10 but is taking shots atm at NL25

crushednuts
09-19-2007, 07:51 AM
I'd be interested. I have played 30K hands at 25NL and tried some 50 NL

NL Newbie
09-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Ill join in, but i'm only helping those with decent post counts/quality and who signed up a while ago.

Lurkers who signed up 1 year ago with 2 posts can have another lurker who signed up 2 years ago help them out /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/end lurker hate]

meleren
09-19-2007, 08:47 AM
I would like to join in.

clowntable
09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
I'll not officially "join in" but I'll comment on all that's posted.
If you decide to do AIM/Skype sessions I'd be game, too as long as I have nothing else to do :P

HighCardSeven
09-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I am also interested. Sign me up please.

cowboy.up
09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd be interested in joining - a few hundred thousand hands logged in PT between both 25 and 50NL (my game is way to streaky and needs to be fixed).

CyberianBull
09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't take any notes I'll def watch it again later and take notes and post them but there's one thing I noted that bothers me a bit. You repeat "I don't want to play this OOP" quite often and I think you might not quite understand what position actually is.

When you say OOP I take it you are always refering to the position relative to the button (aka absolute position) however a lot of times the position relative to the initial raiser is way more important.

A prime example of this can be seen @ around 37:50 on the right table where you hold Tc8c let's summarize the situation:
1) You hold Tc8c a hand that one wants to play for cheap in multiway pots
2) You get 1.35:0.25 odds which is excellent
3) Position is excellent and that's the most interesting part about this hand let me explain.....
-> absolutely call here

UTG is the initial raiser and you are in a position where you are last to act once he has acted and some other guy (BTN) is trapped in between.
Usual action is to check to the raiser who may or may not bet. BTN is next to act and if he raises you know you're beat and get out cheaply (unless you flop big).
If however you do flop a good hand BTN might very well put some dead money into the pot.

tl;dr: Being on the imediate right of the initial raiser is excellent because the expected action is to let him put in the first bet which means you'll effectively have position and see what everyone does.

Also note that the position of BTN is actually quite bad eventhough most people would call there and give the explaination "we have position"
(Sounds more complicated than it actually is :P)

p.s.: A hand like this is why posting videos is good. Not many people will think of posting a HH of such an "easy fold PF" in their mind. But in a video hands that seem pretty standard to you but that might actually not be come up a lot and some people will pick up on them and be able to comment on the more bread and butter situations like these /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, clown, all excellent points. A couple of other hands I thought gave me trouble and I just dont really know what to do in certain situations so i just fold them:

- 11:00 - 89h UTG - mix up between 50% raise and 50% fold?
- 16:26 - 108h on button - EP fish min raiser - always call here?
- 40:15 - J10h on CO - UTG LAG raiser - always call here?

Could you expand more on the position concept? I understand that with 108c hand it's cheap to see flop and if we flop big, we c/r the original raiser. But with other similar hands that I would play on the button we can get free cards if other callers check to me. So I always thought the button/position on raiser is optimal but not in these scenarios?

Thanks again!

scallop
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
LOL - id love to sign up, but i think there is little point... seems like it would just be another uNL forum??

If there is room for one more then that would be cool tho.

Let_it_rain
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Sweet sent some hits out, hopefully got some NL25 guys who will be keen abd if OP (or anyone else for that matter wants in pm me) will post vids in here anyways, hoping to start at 1 a month a see if we can't get up to 1 a week. Thanks OP