PDA

View Full Version : 50NL - 6 max - Set on the river

Ryba
09-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Villain is 28/8/1 seams weak tight... I'm playing 19/15/3. I just can put him on a hand with a 4 thats in his 3bet range, is this standard or play it any differently?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

Hero (SB): $54.35
BB: $269.75
UTG: $69.10
BTN: $49.10

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $7.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

Flop: ($14) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks

Turn: ($14) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $9.00</font>, Hero calls $9.00

River: ($32) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BB bets $25.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $38.35</font>, BB calls $13.35

Pot Size: $108.70

shoxbb6
09-14-2007, 12:15 AM
River is the only standard street.
Preflop is bad, especially vs a weak tight player.
Flop check is fine.
Turn is pretty meh, you're pretty much counting on a weak tight player to be bluffing here.

Nick C
09-14-2007, 12:32 AM
TT is probably more of a concern on the river than a hand with a 4 in it (although I wouldn't rule out 44 in a blind battle).

I'm not sure why shoxbb6 dislikes preflop so much. You don't really have the odds to play for set value, it's true (given that you won't always stack Villain and you'll occasionally lose to a bigger set), but as some compensation, you'll sometimes win when Villain misses and doesn't c-bet.

On the turn, I think I like a bet-fold. The one drawback to this is that it is an expensive way to toss 4-6 outs (I say 4-6 since a preflop 3-bet, flop check, turn ambush raise sequence from Villain would have me really worried about TT). But if Villain has a hand, you probably weren't going to get to draw to those outs anyway.

I guess I'm saying that, as played, I think I like a fold once you check the turn and Villain bets, given your read.

Keitan
09-14-2007, 12:56 AM
The play until the river is a bit questionable. I would say it would be OK in position as you'd probably have decent steal equity, but OOP I think it's a fold preflop. I'm not a fan of calling the turn because you're basically hoping for a cheap showdown, which I think is unlikely if villain is at all competent - one stab on the turn with air is pretty ugly.

Once you get that river, given stacks I think you have to call, but it's not pretty - villain has to have air AJ-AK pretty often. Mid pairs will usually check behind, and overpairs almost always bet the flop esp given the flush draw on board. You're basically hoping for 33,66,55,AJ-AK.

Ryba
09-14-2007, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TT is probably more of a concern on the river than a hand with a 4 in it (although I wouldn't rule out 44 in a blind battle).

I'm not sure why shoxbb6 dislikes preflop so much. You don't really have the odds to play for set value, it's true (given that you won't always stack Villain and you'll occasionally lose to a bigger set), but as some compensation, you'll sometimes win when Villain misses and doesn't c-bet.

On the turn, I think I like a bet-fold. The one drawback to this is that it is an expensive way to toss 4-6 outs (I say 4-6 since a preflop 3-bet, flop check, turn ambush raise sequence from Villain would have me really worried about TT). But if Villain has a hand, you probably weren't going to get to draw to those outs anyway.

I guess I'm saying that, as played, I think I like a fold once you check the turn and Villain
bets, given your read.

[/ QUOTE ]

four handed in a sb v bb situation i wont fold this preflop unless guy is a supernit, you're right thou i need to either check/fold or bet/fold turn. I doubt hes betting turn with over cards.

orange
09-14-2007, 01:22 AM
agree w/shox. pf lame, flop fine. turn is pretty meh as well. river is std.

mookboi
09-14-2007, 01:27 AM
That guy's PFR is an 8, and he's in the BB. I don't think he's what you call a light 3better.

I think preflop is thin, since we have position, I usually call here.

Flop is standard.
Fold turn, we missed our set, didn't get lucky on turn, time to dump this. He bet almost 3/4th pot!
Congrats on river, good shove.