PDA

View Full Version : NL.02 - Bluff gone wrong...why?

TheStitch
09-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi guys,

I just started playing a few cash games on PS, only .01/.02 though.

(If you don't wanna read the following description, here i the hand at pokerhands.org: http://www.pokerhand.org/?1474041)

After about half an hour at the table, the I looked down at my hole cards in the SB and was happy enough to find A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
I decided, I would try to win this pot, no matter if I would hit the flop or not.. You know, throwing the occasional bluff out there. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
There was a raise of 3BB's before me, so I thought a re-raise would make sense and I doubled his bet, making it .08 more, which he called quickly.

Well, as you may guess from the title, I didn't hit the flop at all when it came Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif .

I bet .06 to see where I was at. He pondered for a while and called after some hesitation.

The river was the 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Pretty good card for me and my bluff. No flush and straight draws. From his cautious call on the flop I put him either on pocket pair, a pair of 4's or even 8's, but I just didn't think he had the Q. To force him out, I bet .20 which he again, after some hesitation, called.
Ok, what was going on here? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Should he maybe have the Q after all? I was completely off track, to be honest.

The river came a 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
I checked, feeling truly confused and this dude suddenly decides to get active, betting .20 himself...
/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Since I had only high card A, I knew my only chance to win was coming over the top, representing rockets or cowboys.
After some consideration, I raised to .60, making it .40 to go.
He went into the tank for almost a minute and finally called.
He showed 89o for a pair of eights and won the whole damn pot... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Now here's my questions:
What do you think, why he called me down there?
What should I have done different?
Was my thought process completely off track?

Thx in advance!!!

Upgrade_U
09-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Didn't read anything in the thread other than your questions at the end and title.

the anwser is simple : DO NOT BLUFF at micro stakes, EVER

Micro Donk
09-12-2007, 04:25 PM
full of ugliness...

first, dont try to bluff at 2NL. ever. just dont.

preflop, youre reraise is way too small...i go minimum .20 total, ill likely make it 30 cents total, since theyre calling stations.

as played, your flop bet is way too small. if you need to c-bet make it like .25...

as played, turn, i check almost every time, but if you have to bet, you went too small again, ill make it like .35...

as played, river...yuck, just fold to his bet...the only hands you ever have here are QQ and a bluff showing that much strength...

ajmargarine
09-12-2007, 04:30 PM
All I read was the title and the stakes. Don't bluff at this level. Like, ever.

thoman8r
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I decided, I would try to win this pot, no matter if I would hit the flop or not..

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of attitude will lose you a lot of money. In general, bluffing at 2NL is a very bad idea. Even worse is deciding to bluff without considering any additional information that you might be given in the hand. All you are doing there is hurting yourself.

Student Caine
09-12-2007, 04:47 PM
The problem you have is that you are not playing against thinking opponents. You are playing against people who buy in for the price of a large soda and really do not care what anyone else has.

TTStrangler
09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are playing against people who buy in for the price of a large soda and really do not care what anyone else has.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a regular at .01-.02 I can really appreciate this. It cracks me up how hard it is to find anyone that even buys in for the max. Plus Student, your use of words is classic. LMAO at your comment.

Ratamahatta
09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NL.02 - Bluff gone wrong...why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's NL.02 and you are not supposed to bluff at such a smal stakes.

BishopsFinger
09-12-2007, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NL.02 - Bluff gone wrong...why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's NL.02 and you are not supposed to bluff at such a smal stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

When you get to NL25 you can start second barrelling A turns

until then understand this:

BELOW NL25 ITS ALL ABOUT VALUE VALUE VALUE.

mookboi
09-12-2007, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I read was the title and the stakes. Don't bluff at this level. Like, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric Yang
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
im going to grunch the title and not even read the post.

it's because it's NL2, people barely let go of bottom pair to a shove. just don't bluff at NL2.

TheStitch
09-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Ok, the answers were pretty consistent.

I think I have learned my lesson. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks all for your comments!