09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
limit player transitioning to no limit;

what's my best buy for my first book?

mookboi
09-12-2007, 02:30 PM
http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm

akak
09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
thats not a book in the traditional sense.

what is the 'bible' of NL hold'em?

Snafu'd
09-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Check out the very first sticky.

Spinners
09-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Not Supersystem thats for sure.

I guesst buying NL Holdem Theory and Practice, and phil gordons little green book.

whyzze
09-12-2007, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I guesst buying NL Holdem Theory and Practice, and phil gordons little green book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those are excellent. Phil's book is such an easy read...I think I finished it in 2 hours. TAP is kind of a grind but much easier than advanced hold'em or whatever it is called.

Sledgejammer
09-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Harrington on Holdem volume one transformed me from a recreational player to someone who actually knew how to think about the game as soon as I'd finished it. It's always the first book I recommend to people who want to make that kind of transition. Alot of very basic concepts, but stuff you just have to know.

Ratamahatta
09-12-2007, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats not a book in the traditional sense.

what is the 'bible' of NL hold'em?

[/ QUOTE ]

TOP and Mathematics of Poker which should have been called TOP2. You don't need any other books.

Spinners
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of those are excellent. Phil's book is such an easy read...I think I finished it in 2 hours. TAP is kind of a grind but much easier than advanced hold'em or whatever it is called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree I do find sklanksys books a bit of a grind to read, but honestly his material is great, and he knows his stuff.

The little green book is a great read for sure, great substance and great writing style.

Student Caine
09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

amg! much /images/graemlins/heart.gif for that link. Thanks Mookboi!

TTStrangler
09-12-2007, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may not be the bible of NL, but it's pretty darn close...

traz
09-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Wow, I've never seen that link before but it looks chalked full of goodness

BishopsFinger
09-12-2007, 05:45 PM
yeah seriously dont bother with NL books - its not like limit and there are very few good volumes (~0).

the anthology/stickies will be cheaper and better for your game than any books you can buy for sure.

and i say this as someone sat by a shelf with all 3 HOHs, both phil gordons, book of bluffs, both super systems, onlince ace (fischman), caros book, TOP, NLHTAP,TPFAP, championship holdem (mcevoy) and play poker like the pros (hellmuth -LOL at that book).

i really feel books arent the way to go.

BishopsFinger
09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
worth saying the book of bluffs is a good read and TOP/NLHTAP are the best of the ones i own.

Gelford
09-12-2007, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but honestly his material is great

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmm ... right ... errrm

Spinners
09-12-2007, 05:48 PM
BOok of bluffs is good eh?

Can anyone second that I was accually looking at it?

BishopsFinger
09-12-2007, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BOok of bluffs is good eh?

Can anyone second that I was accually looking at it?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont get me wrong its not a good theory book about NLH poker in general but it is a good read and got a few points over about that particular facet of the game that i had had difficulty getting to grips with intuitively.

TOP + NLTP are the two i found improved my game the most but really they arent that fabulous.

may want to try PNL as that seems to have been well received on 2p2.

Heine
09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I read the book of bluffs. Its just illustrates how a good level 3 or level 4 level thinking is very valuable. Then it describes a lot of situations where it applies, but thats against thinking opponents. I.e. Not 50NL and below.

HOH1-3 are all good. TOP, NLTP are great. I would say SSNL for AP (the red book) is good too because of the math and starting hands, but if you read mathematics of poker its just as good.

Phsycology of Poker is good if you are going to be playing live.

My first book was Super System 2, and i haven't read it in a few years, but i remember it being decent.

pr0cast's anthology is great to be honest. Much more applicable to the 6max games, and covers some important topics more in depth than i've found in a lot of those books. So read the books, and read the posts, and then reread the posts.

I will say that my reading comprehension is fairly high, and only after reading each book more than once did i start picking up on a lot of the really good points of the books. So read them like text books and no leisure books.

Spinners
09-12-2007, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I will say that my reading comprehension is fairly high, and only after reading each book more than once did i start picking up on a lot of the really good points of the books. So read them like text books and no leisure books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree with you more, if you read them as leisure books you will get lost you really need to focus on every detail.

mookboi
09-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Welcome for link.

I used to play limit, and have to say that you aren't going to find the same textbook kind of stuff for NL as you did in limit. There just aren't any NL books that are awesome & eye opening. I've read Theory & Practice as well as Green Book when starting out, and found the former too theoretical, and the latter just common sense. Mathematics of poker is like reading chinese, but if you can understand it, supposedly it's really good.

Can't comment on PNL, as I haven't gotten around to it yet. From threads on it though, it does look like the best one so far, that actually deals with beyond-elementary concepts.

I used to play limit before switching to NL this year, and I went through the same thing you are doing looking for books and stuff. In limit, SSHE, HEFAP, winning in tough games, & Slotsboom book on drawing hands are all you need. I reread those like 1K times and used to wonder why 2p2 forums were so popular, since every single concept you really ened to know can be found in them books.

NL literature is nonexistent compared to limit. Your best bet is to follow the link I gave you, and read all those threads, as well as all the well posts, and all the stickies in the SSNL forum.