PDA

View Full Version : 25NL: KK...been playing around with pot control

Micro Donk
09-11-2007, 11:36 PM
lately ive been checking turns with stuff like TPGK, small overpairs, etc...ive been doing it more on scary boards, but i may have it backwards, since it may be more likely he has a draw and he hsould be charges for it? anyway..rivers kinda irrelevant i think, but ill put it in anyway...do i havbe pot control wrong?

villain around 44/8/.58 over 55 hands

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $72.15
BB: $27.20
UTG: $25.00
Hero (BTN): $27.05

Preflop: Hero is dealt K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $1.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, BB calls $3.00

Turn: ($10.10) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($10.10) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

orig!naL
09-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I like the idea of checking the turn with marginal holdings as well. The only problem is, you are going to run into a lot of situations where someone bets out big on the river and sometimes it's going to be a bluff and sometimes it's going to be the goods. If you check behind on the turn for pot control, it almost obligates you to call a river bet unless the board gets nuts.

Micro Donk
09-11-2007, 11:42 PM
looking back on HH against this certain opponent, checking the turn was a huge mistake, since he has shown a big tendecy to bet/call the flop with draws. but lets assume we dont know that about him, and make it more general...

shoxbb6
09-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Pot control is good on dry board, not on very wet board versus bad villains

Supwithbates
09-12-2007, 12:08 AM
there is no reason to go for pot control against this villain with these holdings
just valuebet him repeatedly

Waingro
09-12-2007, 12:40 AM
I wouldn´t check a T on that board vs this villain. I think checking KK is lighting money on fire. Like really really bad. I think vs way tighter villains that plays very predictably and on a different board you might find a check, but not in this spot.

toddxlogan
09-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I hate this. Villain is super loose passive donk who calls a lot. You are burning money by not betting the turn here, IMO.

Micro Donk
09-12-2007, 12:51 AM
yea i had a feeling i had the whole pot control thing backwards

for unrelated results, A9cc was good

Kasane
09-12-2007, 12:55 AM
The point to pot control is to get 2 streets of value when your opponent is unlikely to have a draw. The situation is when your opponents range is polarized.

Take a Q72r flop opponent in bb and you've got KK. Villain calls flop. Well, unless villain is a station who'll call KQ or QJ all the way to the river (this is a rare, special breed of dribbler these days -- used to be so much more common... sigh) you're ahead or behind -- with little chance of improvement either way.

This flop is way too wet. Villain will c/r with stuff that kills you, and call with the weaker holdings, including lots of draws that should be paying now, not seeing a river for free.