PDA

View Full Version : zone alarm vs. norton's

otter
01-05-2006, 04:09 PM
I apologize if it's been asked 1000 times, but which is better? It seems that they're not compatable with each other since zonealarm asks you to disable any antivirus software before you begin. Thanks in advance.

Ali
01-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Anyone will tell you Zonealarm is far superior to Norton.

Unless they work for Norton.

nuts
01-05-2006, 05:53 PM
norton products are terrible and bloated.

zonealarm tries to scare people into thinking it's important. For example, a ping from your router or another host on local network is very rarely a 'hack attempt', no matter what zonealarm intrusivly pops up.

While prior to windows service pack 2 these programs were very useful, now they are not as essential as they once were. If you have a cable modem / router setup, i'd strongly recommend using the firewall built into sp2, as your router already has a firewall.

If you're not convinced that the sp2 firewall is good, then install nmap, and scan a computer with and without the firewall enabled.

GT123
01-05-2006, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I apologize if it's been asked 1000 times, but which is better? It seems that they're not compatable with each other since zonealarm asks you to disable any antivirus software before you begin. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Norton sucks! I had no trouble with Norton 2005, upgraded to 2006, and all of a sudden it had tons of error. I emailed thier support and they gave me a list of solutions. Tried them all exactly the way they instructed, and nothing worked. Emailed them again to tell them nothing helped, but they sent me the exact same list of solutions once again. For phone support it cost around $30 a call. It is not worth it, so I decided to just return it.

If you are concerned about your money online and want to make sure everything is secure. Buy NOD32 antivirus and use Zonealarm firewall, also download adaware and spybot. IMO when you have money online, you can never have too much security.