PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - Value betting question ATs

VLV
09-10-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm just trying to grasp the concept of value betting, I think I miss out on a lot on the river.

Just on how I played this hand, is the bet on the river a value bet? Is it too big, too small? Normally I would check in that situation but I thought I would try a bet.

Villain is 75/24/1

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $88.20
BB: $29.05
Hero (UTG): $55.70
MP: $10.85
CO: $23.05
BTN: $126.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, MP folds, CO calls $0.85, BTN calls $0.85, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.90) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $2.00

Turn: ($6.90) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, BTN calls $4.00

River: ($14.90) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>

Nick C
09-10-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't know what's best on this river, but I will say that for this Villain, a big chunk of his range is going to be some crappy draw that didn't get there. Fortunately (especially since he's probably peeling the flop very loosely, like with an over and backdoors), this should include some worse Tx hands, and if he's come along so far with 7x or 3x, I guess there's a good chance he'll call again.

Anyway, I think the bet is okay. But I do hate that river card because (1) there is some chance it turned Villain's flopped top pair into trips, and (2) if Villain is tricky at all, it's the type of card he might bluff or bluff-raise on. I think that card would give me the excuse I wanted to check and let Villain try his obvious-as-hell bluff.

mookboi
09-10-2007, 12:59 AM
I think this is thin. I mean, 75/24/1 sounds like the kinda crazy that will raise this often with everything ranging from air to something with an 8 in it. I prefer c/cing a normal sized bet (anything up to PSB really vrs this guy).

LegendLength
09-10-2007, 04:12 AM
I bet 1 or 2 dollars on river, no more. For very obvious broken draws I just bet 25c and laugh knowing they can't fold.

Lego05
09-10-2007, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet 1 or 2 dollars on river, no more. For very obvious broken draws I just bet 25c and laugh knowing they can't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....why would you do this? You're trading a quarter for giving everyone at the table information on the hand you just played.

Make a real bet...or as I prefer check and give him a chance to bluff off more than a quarter or a coouple of bucks.

As for the OP'er I understand trying to find more spots on the river to make thinner value bets. It was something that I have in the past also spent time on because I felt I was passing too much up. However, in this hand I don't like firing the third barrel on the river. That's not really a good river card. An 8 is very much in villian's range. Even if the river were like a 2d I think it's pretty close between bet/fold and check/call. With the river being that 8 I like check/call although at times (especially I think against this villian type) you'll be shown a 7 or some weaker pair than what you hold and wish that had put out another bet. Sometimes though villian will make some stupid little bet with his 7's or T9 and so you'll still get some value.

corsakh
09-10-2007, 06:16 AM
check

stonescar
09-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Generally I think it's easier to find thin value bets in position, as villain already has passed on the opportunity to:

a) value bet a better hand
b) bluff
c) block bet his mediocre hand

Also, river check-raises aren't that common, and you can often fold safely to them. If you know that you can't fold to a river check-raise because of an untrustworthy villain, sometimes the value bet turns in to a check behind.

OOP i would more often make value bets with stronger hands to make sure I get value, with the possibility of being raised for even more value, and check to induce a bluff or to keep the pot smaller with a marginal hand.

In this spot I think the value bet is too thin, as the others have said. Villain is bad, and might very well have an 8, and if he has air he might bluff.

BombayBadboy
09-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Check.

monkover
09-10-2007, 07:44 AM
I prefer a c/c to a b/f