PDA

View Full Version : raising from sb in sb vs bb war?

valdiesel
09-08-2007, 01:21 PM
1)What kind of hands should I be raising from sb when playing HU vs BB?
2)What hands should I be calling a 3bet with?

I understand that this depends on opponent, but lets just say that opponent is an unkown.

TY,

Val

skibbel
09-08-2007, 01:30 PM
-misread

valdiesel
09-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I didnt mean in HU game, what I meant was 6handed when HU against sb.

Thanks

Antinome
09-08-2007, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about HU but u should raise at least 67s+,22+,JTo+,QTo+,A2+,K9+
Probably more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but it is very important to quickly figure out what he is calling with and change your range or bet sizing appropriately.

for example, if he's only calling with 20% regardless of bets size you should raise more and bet less.

If he calls with 40% and calls smaller bets lighter you should raise less and bet more.

valdiesel
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about HU but u should raise at least 67s+,22+,JTo+,QTo+,A2+,K9+
Probably more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but it is very important to quickly figure out what he is calling with and change your range or bet sizing appropriately.

for example, if he's only calling with 20% regardless of bets size you should raise more and bet less.

If he calls with 40% and calls smaller bets lighter you should raise less and bet more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scenario 1: Raise more and bet less on flop?
scenario 2: Bet smaller preflop and pot it on flop/turn?

Antinome
09-08-2007, 01:46 PM
only preflop. raise more hands, bet less chips.

valdiesel
09-08-2007, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

K, let me get this right
Scenario 1: raise more hsnds, but smaller PFR?
Scenario 2: raise less hands, but bigger bet size PF?

Sharagoz
09-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I play NL50 and against an unknown player I play 70 % of the hands. My raising range from SB = any pair, any ace, any 2 cards 10+, any suited king, k6o+, 67s+. Thats about 35 % of the hands. The other 35 I just complete with.
Of course, as I learn more about my opponent I adapt.

If he 3bets me my calling range is fairly tight and depends a bit on the size of his raise and his stack size. In my experience the average NL50 players 3bet range isnt very wide. Against a full stack who makes a pot sized re-raise I probably call with 99+,AK,AQs.

Oh, and against a tight multi tabler I raise any two cards from SB for as long as he lets me get away with it :P

Antinome
09-08-2007, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

K, let me get this right

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do. A smaller and wider PFR versus a tight caller gets a steady stream of smallball money going your way. When called, you are generally behind, so you want to lose as little as possible in that spot.

A loose caller on the other hand you make money making straight value bets.

I agree with Shar. My default is to steal every BB with a smallish SB raise. Some people will let you do it every time.

valdiesel
09-08-2007, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

K, let me get this right

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do. A smaller and wider PFR versus a tight caller gets a steady stream of smallball money going your way. When called, you are generally behind, so you want to lose as little as possible in that spot.

A loose caller on the other hand you make money making straight value bets.

I agree with Shar. My default is to steal every BB with a smallish SB raise. Some people will let you do it every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using VPIP? Or what stats should I be looking at when determining how 2 play vs BB?

thanks again

Antinome
09-08-2007, 02:25 PM
When I use a HUD I guess I'd be more inclined to raise low VPIP, preferably passive ones who fold to cbets way more often and way lighter than high VPIP opponents, especially aggressive ones that float. But how they behave in the BB to a SB raise is only loosely related to VPIP, you really have to test them to find out.

Disclaimer-

I do really well from the SB- I've been in the green for 2 years now from that position, but If you are not doing better than folding then you should begin by folding nearly everything and expand from there. That's ABC poker, and you have to master it before you start getting involved in a lot of small pots OOP.

whyherro
09-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Something like any ace, K7s+ K9o+ 22+ all suited connectors and suited 1 gappers and a couple of suited 2 gappers. If he starts playing back at you hard I like to switch to more high salience holdings, in other words if I know I am going to be seeing action in the hand switch PF to hands that if you hit a piece of the board you can be reasonably confident in the strength of your hand. So this takes out hands like A6o etc.