PDA

View Full Version : I think i am learning nothing...

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Ive been playing on and off for 2 years...and still am no better than the day i started. Can not go more than a day without going in the red. I just cant seem to play solid poker, no matter how much i play and try to study. Dont know what im expecting as replies, just trying to vent i guess...deposited $50 and lost it all in about 2 hours at pokerstars at 10NL.

Genesis
08-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Play $5NL or $2NL?

netstorm
08-31-2007, 06:59 PM
Use bankroll management? 20 buyins for every level? post hands, ask for advice?

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 06:59 PM
not available at FTP where u normally play, lost my $200 BR and waiting for my rakeback($110 this month) Deposited 50 in PS to try to clear their bonus...which i found out is basicly impossible. I think im gonna try wingows, anyone know how long it will take to clear per $5 playing 10NL?

wingchunflush
08-31-2007, 07:00 PM
Ulcajun I am in the same boat. I know my skill level has increased because I am winning alot of local live tournies but just seems like I cant make headway with online poker. Very frustrating.

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
i would post hands, but not exactly sure how, pokertracker? dont have...Could u guys recommend a site that i could sign up and earn pokertracker by playing at 10NL?
Edit: already have PS and FTP account.

Frosteater
08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would post hands, but not exactly sure how, pokertracker? dont have

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you play on stars:

1. Open a blank txt file whenever you play.
2. If you have trouble with a hand, open the instant hand history immediately afterwards.
3. Open the hand in question.
4. Copy the text and paste it into your txt file.

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 09:54 PM
thanks, so still need recommendation on how to get pokertracker by playing 10NL, went to PSO but not sure which will be the easiest to clear playing 10NL. Obviously FTP would be, but already have an account there.

wingchunflush
08-31-2007, 09:56 PM
earn pt by playing 10nl???? just shell out the $50 youll make it back later.

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 09:58 PM
is PT really that useful?

jerryf1914
08-31-2007, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ive been playing on and off for 2 years...and still am no better than the day i started. Can not go more than a day without going in the red. I just cant seem to play solid poker, no matter how much i play and try to study. Dont know what im expecting as replies, just trying to vent i guess...deposited $50 and lost it all in about 2 hours at pokerstars at 10NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are tons of other people who read this forum that have the same results as you they just don't admit to it

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are tons of other people who read this forum that have the same results as you they just don't admit to it

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wish i could see any improvement in my game...its really disheartening. Also about PT...i can buy it, but would rather put that money into bankroll. I know playing 10NL i could have earned it in like a week playing at FT, just trying to see what the next easiest is to clear at 10NL

MrMrMe
08-31-2007, 10:35 PM
I would really recommend joining cardrunners.com you learn a lot from that site!

and i kinda was in the same boat i played NL200 winning a lot one day and busting the next day. i haven't been playing below NL100 in about a year, before the last two weeks.
I deposited my regular 300$ and started playing NL50
i have been playing about 5k hands since then and i have 4.59 bb/h and a mtt ratio of 3.84.Giving me a total of 17.51bb/h
if i keep my bb/h i can take a shot at NL100 in about 15k hands without putting my bankroll at risk.
And as mentioned earlier in the post. Post hands in forum and read it is very good!

What i want to say is try and get some system into your bankroll and game

Kasane
08-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Don't think of money spent on PT like it's your bankroll money, think of it as money spent on books, or a monitor, a mouse, or something else kind of essential to playing poker besides your bankroll.

Yes, PT is almost essential to improving your play.

Daniel LeClaire
08-31-2007, 11:03 PM
I'd recommend playing some SnG tourneys. You get a lot more play and experience for your money than in cash games, where it can go quickly, especially if you tilt. It's a good way to build a roll and then venture into cash games.

Also, not sure how many tables you are playing, but I'd only play one for now to try and improve your game.

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 11:08 PM
yeah i was playing 4-6 tables, started playing 1

1tripz1
08-31-2007, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is PT really that useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

is a knife and fork essential for a baked potato?

is a slice of lime essential for an ice cold corona?

is a wad of bog roll essential for a 4 minute turd?

i could go on for ages.

basically: yes.

vixticator
08-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Don't play with 5bi. Get PT. Post hands.

ULcajun
08-31-2007, 11:26 PM
just got PT, gonna have to wait till epassporte finally makes the verify deposit or my last months rake kicks back at FT, but will post some hands...and they prolly gonna get laughed at lol

Student Caine
08-31-2007, 11:37 PM
To respond to your short term statement - if you lost 5 BI in 2 hours you are either hit an insane bad streak or you tilted. I am guessing the latter.

To respond to the long term statement - if you really are not winning then you need to do a few things:

GET SOFTWARE
1. Get Pokertracker
2. Get Pokerstove
3. Get PokerAceHUD

LEARN:
1. Read books
2. GRUNCH posts - Grunch originally called for us to Grunch 1 per day...try doing 4-5 per day
3. Study/learn twice as much as you play.

SCRUTINIZE YOUR PLAY:
1. Review every session that you play.
2. Look for leaks by reviewing hands yourself and posting hands here
3. Use Pokerstove to help with determine if you are getting your money in when you should be or if you are spewing when someone else has the best of you
4. Don't be too quick to blame variance or bad luck for your play (When your bottom two is beaten by the nut flush and you called the 100+BB shove by the guy with a .50AF, this is not "bad luck"). Remember that you are responsible for the plays you make only - not for the donkeys or the dealers (er RNG).

Good luck

Kasane
09-01-2007, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just got PT, gonna have to wait till epassporte finally makes the verify deposit or my last months rake kicks back at FT, but will post some hands...and they prolly gonna get laughed at lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the spirit. Now be ready to be overwhelmed, then underwhelmed by it. It'll take a long time for those stats to become useful, but they will. And in the meantime, a HUD (GT+ is free) will help, and you've got a nice place to keep your hands .. handy. And your stats will at some point become useful.

Just don't send us any "hey, here's my 500 hands screenshot. What am I doing wrong?" posts.