PDA

View Full Version : Standard fold vs. a passive villain?

huhwhatyousay?
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $9.80
BB: $13.50
UTG: $5.05
MP: $6.95
CO: $4.05
Hero (BTN): $15.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.75) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.60</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $2.00</font>...

Around 20 minutes into the session, villain(BB) is running at 19.2/11.7/1.6. I'm at 24.8/19.8/2.1. I haven't shown down any bluffs or anything. The board looks drawy, but I don't think he's aggressive enough to c/r here w/ too many draws. He definitely seems solid. This is like my 2nd session ever, so I haven't really been in too many of these spots.

Ramana
08-29-2007, 05:35 PM
Ugh that's a tough one. He's not that passive and you've been running loose enough that he might perceive you as a lag. At NL10 I dont like folding this, sometimes you'll go broke but more often you will beat a good Q. I RR to 6 and call a shove.

Student Caine
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
The problem with folding is that this could reasonably be a Q. People love to play back in 10NL from the blinds after a blind steal, with Top Pair.

I 3-bet this, the question is how much do we 3-bet it? We at least want to put it at $3 more (so $5 total). The trick is that the money is going in on the Turn then (either he'll donk in his last ~$5 or we will bet it for value) - so maybe a shove is the better move to take it down now/crush odds for any draw - the problem with the All-In is that we get called by a set/2 pair and we probably fold out a Queen.

I notch it up to $5.

wingchunflush
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I am not folding here, I will re raise and call a shove

huhwhatyousay?
08-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok; I appreciate the feedback so far. I was basing my judgment of villain's passiveness on my observation and that this was the first time I'd seen him c/r in 20 minutes or so; it wasn't his aggression factor in particular.

Would it be bad if I just called here against a passive villain? If so, why. What about vs. a more aggressive villain.

Milky
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
There's no way I'd fold here. To him, it looks like you made a raise to steal pf and now he's putting you to the test on the flop, basically saying "I'm pretty sure you're stealing and I want to take it down now". He could seriously have anything here, not just a queen/set/2pair, though I definitely think a queen is most likely. He could also have a small-mid pocket pair and think he's ahead right now.

I'd raise it up to $6 and call a shove.

Maunzekater
08-29-2007, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no way I'd fold here. To him, it looks like you made a raise to steal pf and now he's putting you to the test on the flop, basically saying "I'm pretty sure you're stealing and I want to take it down now". He could seriously have anything here, not just a queen/set/2pair, though I definitely think a queen is most likely. He could also have a small-mid pocket pair and think he's ahead right now.

I'd raise it up to $6 and call a shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then put your money in on the turn. I don't give him credit for a 2pair on this uncoordinated board. If he hit his set you loosing all your money anyway.

Edit: I mean if he just calls your rr.