PDA

View Full Version : When to not 3bet aces and kings

StubbornRussian
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I heard somebody mention that Taylor Caby has been suggesting in the latest cardrunner videos to not always 3bet aces and kings against solid players. But he plays high stakes where there is crazy agression and sandbagging aces is more likely to get paid off. At 50NL-100Nl are there any players out there that you cold call against in position with a 100bb effective stack?

I was at a table yesterday where I had two solid aggressive tags on my right and a bunch of fish to my left and I kept getting aces and kings and AK with a ridiculous frequency. I 3bet them evertyime in position and got folds evertime even though I was running like 25/25. Is this a case where I should have mixed in a cold call or two? I generally only cold call ip against maniacs.

mookboi
08-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Nyet, 3bet them always. Mixing it up sometimes & not 4betting after they 3bet you, when ya got position on them is okay, given they are a good player capable of folding to 4bet after 3betting. (Ex: You open AA in CO, SB 3bets you. I sometimes call here and shove after he cbets flop).

But usually ya wanna get as much money in preflop as possible here.

Kasane
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
At 50NL, I find it profitable to call a 3bet with AA -- only in position! say you open in UTG - MP, fold, fold, BB raises it some real amount (say 7 or 8). Against a typical taggy good player, one who's not currently 3betting light, I can smooth call 30-50% of the time.

As you get closer to the button, they're less likely to believe you have AA if you 4bet or shove, so it becomes less profitable to smooth call. Also, they might be restealing, and you don't want to let JTs see a flop cheap.

KK - not so much. I'm too chicken, and I hate that I might fold the best hand on the flop if an A comes and villain cbets with JJ. I don't think that the 3bet ranges at 50nl justify smooth calling with KK.

Peter Harris
08-29-2007, 02:56 PM
another reason not to smoothcall is if you can't let them go when it comes down real bad.

xeanatic
08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
always 3 bet no mather what you will be missing alot of value if you don't and you give people a cheap shot at cracking you aces/kings

BishopsFinger
08-29-2007, 02:59 PM
the only time i dont 3 bet is when youre HU and they open shove pre.

Kasane
08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
whoops... I think I misread the post. I was talking about calling a 3bet after our open raise. Keep 3betting always at this level.

WarhammerIIC
08-29-2007, 03:02 PM
If I'm in a really tight game where players are frequently raise-folding to a re-raise, I will occasionally just flat-call a raise with AA if these players have trouble laying down top pair hands. I am praying they have AK/AQ/KQ/whatever and hit top pair on the flop.

CmnDwnWrkn
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
It could be profitable if you are against a known hyper-aggro opponent who you think will pay you off more by bluffing than by calling/raising with weaker made hands. You do need a good read here that your opponent is really bluffing a lot of the time. Most of the time (probably > 95%) you want to 3-bet though

Quester
08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Rule of thumb: Get the money in when you have an equity edge. That means ASAP with aces or kings.

It can sometimes be a good idea to flat call if an opponent to your left is very aggressive preflop and raises a wide range. Then you can drop the hammer on him.

At micro stakes, slowplaying is typically a very bad idea.

pkrPlayerBr
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
I have really bad experience with this. The 3 times I tried doing it, one player flopped fullhouse, and the other two flopped sets. I prefer 4 betting and getting the rest of the money in on the flop.

huhwhatyousay?
08-29-2007, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only time i dont 3 bet is when youre HU and they open shove pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you're chip leader?

ama0330
08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
"Never"

DaycareInferno
08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
eh, i can think of some special exceptions. i have been at tables before where every single time i would coldcall the CO from the button, i would get squeezed by one of the blinds. for the most part, i don't do it though, although i will flat call a 3bet with position often.

StubbornRussian
08-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I am pretty much getting the responses I expected. I just wanted to do a check since I autopilot 3bet aces and kings and this type of autopilot mentality can often be detrimental in poker.

Against those maniac types who pot the flop and turn with almost any two but fold to reraises pf I still think its a good idea to cold call and just pay them off if they flop big. They will usually get it in super light on the turn since they know a lot of people will be playing back at them light because of their lag image.

centgas
08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
If people fold to 3bets too much, 3bet them a whole lot more in position.