PDA

View Full Version : HELP, I'm a TAGFISH.

pbx
08-29-2007, 07:18 AM
Okay no real hand histories to speak of, just im starting to get frustrated with this game and I need some direction.

Ive been playing poker for 1.5 years now and played some 100k+ hands of NL FR/6max from anywhere from 0.05/0.1 - 1/2.
(Usually 4 Tabling)
At the end of June I had a roll of 2k but had to withdraw it to pay for somethings for university. Since being back this summer I have managed to grind 400 -> 920 (10K hands of NL10 beating it 9PT/BB - small sample size I know). My problem is however, NL25 and higher. For some reason I just cant seem to progress properly past this level and its got to a point where I cant just blame variance anymore.

Lifetime NL25 I must have played 60-70K hands. And although I am a winner I'm only JUST a winner. I estimate im something like 1 - 2 PTBB/100 winner over this sample(many databases and some hands lost etc etc). Most of my profits have come from bonuses/rakeback. I see these guys beating
NL25/NL50 for 9+PTBB/100 post UIGEA and I know that its possible.

Although I don't post as much as I should i do frequently lurk this site and am always reading trying to improve my game but to no avail. Basically I need some advice on what to do next in terms of poker.

What sort of things should i do generally in order to improve my game? Anything constructive is appreciated.

FWIW my stats on NL25 are 17/14/4.5/2/2.5 (VPIP/PFR/FLOP/TURN/RIVER AGGRESSION)

17/90/80/18 (VPIP in SB/FOLD SB TO STEAL/FOLD BB TO STEAL/ATT TO STEAL)

23/51.5 (Went to showdown/Won @ Showdown)

6 Max Stats
thx in advance

fxwz
08-29-2007, 07:30 AM
I used to feel kinda stuck like you seemingly feel now. Three posts here on 2+2 did wonders for my game, i now beat 50NL for probapbly 5xwhat i used to(i used to be a breakeven/1-2bb/100 player like you on that level).
Anyways, read these and start to work on your game. Like the thread's name, start opening up your eyes as well as your game. You will not regret it.

Opening up your eyes and your game (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=mlplnl&Number=5615820&fpa rt=&PHPSESSID=)
Optimal play at 25$NL (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=490083 2&fpart=&PHPSESSID=)
"My 25$NL Adventure/Pilgrimage" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=161808 6&fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

Hope this will be as much help for you as it was for me. IMO these posts (especially the two first ones) are priceless!

GL

PS. I used to have roughly the same stats as you describe, now I'm more of a 30/20..

Gelford
08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Well stats aren't all .... If you compare yours and mine stats they are identical, yet I seem to crush SSNL eight tabling with those stats

So what is the difference ???

Planning ... knowing if my equity is big when I see a flop and thus adjusting based on how my protection I need

Reading, Despite Corsakh trashing me for playing eight tables, I have an image of most villian. Tho off course most my efforts revolve around the regs.

Finally I am also good at keeping the regs in line if need be, If someone tries to run me over, I will start isolating him with a wide range as if he was a fish and gamble it up in raised post (preferably in position)

So what is my point ???

Well stats aren't all, poker is postflop play and how good you are at estimating ranges (handreading). I agree that opening up your game and trying out the lagtard stuff is definately an important step in anyones development as a pokerplayer, tho unlike the above poster I will not claim it surperior to a tight game, just different. Table conditions usually dictate your game and at our levels, there are no tables, where TAG is unprofitable.

resboard
08-29-2007, 08:19 AM
I am beating $25NL at 8bb/100 over 35k, and i'm playing 22/12 ... many different styles work, need to really just learn how to extract from these players. As the other poster said, some threads here really help. Read them a few times because sometimes its hard to get the concept and apply it correctly.

ajrees
08-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I have found these things to be the most important for me:

* Position
* Aggression
* Continuation Betting

Since I read up on those things and got Pokertracker my play has improved enormously.

I would also suggest that you try not to get yourself into tough situations with marginal hands, since I found that I was losing a lot of money that way.

JackAll
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically I need some advice on what to do next in terms of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Your pf strategy probably sux. 99% of micro stakes players pf strat sux. That will cost you a fortune cuz it sets you up for a bad post flop loss. Edit - 17/14 looks pretty damn good to me actually. Hope you are positionally aware.

2. Post hands. hopefully you know which posters are any good and can give you some good advice cuz there is a lot of bad advice out there

3. Just cuz something works at 10nl doesn't mean it's a solid play. It just proves the other players are worse. This isn't meant to insult you at all, more to make you realise that you need to work hard on your game and not assume you are awesome just cuz you beat 10nl.