PDA

View Full Version : Notes Thread

Milky
08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
I think one of my biggest flaws right now is not taking enough notes, and not really even knowing what kind of notes to take. I've read the threads on notes in the sticky however I'd like a bit more information.

What kinds of plays make you guys take notes? What are some of your most common notes? Also, I think it'd be great if you posted a hand and then talked about what kind of note you would take based on the play of that hand. Thanks

Check_The_Nuts
08-27-2007, 06:48 PM
what hands they play postflop in certain situations (mostly applies to those 20/12/2 types who CC a lot IP with a bunch of crap and are complete [censored] postflop. Or the 40/20/2 those guys are so [censored] weird.

any notable hands we've played. Like if I've shoved over them in a RR'd pot or something. Especially if they folded and showed KK and I had a straight draw.

edit: and yeah, these aren't too informative. I don't really care you didn't really offer any decent notes you take yourself or anything.

Jzo19
08-27-2007, 06:53 PM
i take a ton of notes on players and its usually how he played a certain hand or something villain did weird and i took notice of

example
villain x min raises utg , in that hand it goes all they way to the riv and he shows 55 ...i'll take a note that he minraises small PP's in EP ...l8r in the session when i see him minraise utg , i pretty much 3bet him with any 2 in position ,.,,and probable take down most pots PF ...this is actually happened to me the other day thats why its the 1st thing i remember when i read this thread

Milky
08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

edit: and yeah, these aren't too informative. I don't really care you didn't really offer any decent notes you take yourself or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem, my notes aren't very good. One off the top of my head though would be "big raise pf when folded to on button was most likely steal". Nothing too exciting. I'm just thinking that I'm missing out on documenting a lot of info and was looking for some advice from the board, preferrably with a HH to go with it.

Thanks for your response though.

Milky
08-27-2007, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i take a ton of notes on players and its usually how he played a certain hand or something villain did weird and i took notice of

example
villain x min raises utg , in that hand it goes all they way to the riv and he shows 55 ...i'll take a note that he minraises small PP's in EP ...l8r in the session when i see him minraise utg , i pretty much 3bet him with any 2 in position ,.,,and probable take down most pots PF ...this is actually happened to me the other day thats why its the 1st thing i remember when i read this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good stuff, thanks

Check_The_Nuts
08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
well for me personally I've been taking better notes as i've played more hands.

and I think your last note example is really bad. If you see a guy reraise ONCE and its a fairly big raise THATS NOT A [censored] READ!! You can't say "probably a steal" or some [censored] like that. If you see someone squeeze and note it, then see him squeeze 3-4 more times that is a read.

edit: like squeezes 3-4 times over 200 hands. Not squeezes 3-4 times over 4k hands. This part should be obvious though.

Milky
08-27-2007, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well for me personally I've been taking better notes as i've played more hands.

and I think your last note example is really bad. If you see a guy reraise ONCE and its a fairly big raise THATS NOT A [censored] READ!! You can't say "probably a steal" or some [censored] like that. If you see someone squeeze and note it, then see him squeeze 3-4 more times that is a read.

edit: like squeezes 3-4 times over 200 hands. Not squeezes 3-4 times over 4k hands. This part should be obvious though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't referring to a squeeze in my note, and I made that note because of how he played the flop. The way he played it made it very unlikely he held a premium hand (though for the life of me I can't remember the hand details and I'm at work).

shyturtle27
08-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm still working on my note taking abilities and I'm adding a little at a time. So far I like to note when players 3-bet preflop with a wider range than AA-JJ, AK. I also like to note what players' different sizes of flop donk bets mean. Their min bets might mean second pair or worse or a draw, but their half pot size bets could mean strength or most of the time complete crap. I find these notes particularly useful.

Edit: Another one is what huge preflop opening raises and stuff means. I've seen a number of players raise 8BB+ only with huge pocket pairs.

Check_The_Nuts
08-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Milky - generally you would need a fairly decent hand to call their preflop unless u had notes saying he repopped light. Especially at uNL where most ppl do not repop light at all. So I just assumed u didn't see a flop fwiw. Hard to discuss a hand like that in abstract.

Hail Eris
08-27-2007, 07:09 PM
At these limits, the most profitable notes you can get on villains are what boards/hands does he minraise/check-minraise and what boards/hands does he donk.

Brian O'Nolan
08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
In order of importance for me:
1) Players I can get 3 good streets of value from with 1 pair. WTSD% etc can give you a feel for this but there's nothing like seeing someone c/c 3 streets w TPNK.
2) River betsizing/other tendencies. Like "leads fake blocking bet w/ top 2 & 3b AI", "2/3 pots river w/ whiffed draw"... more than any other street, players with similar PT stats will play differently on the river.
3) Cbet sizing changing w hand strength, double barrel frequency/sizing... it's good to note stuff like this for various tagfish types, but mostly making plays or calling down light based on this stuff is not where the money comes from in uNL.

Depending on how many tables you play, just noting anything that deviates from your "standard" HUD-based read is important.

mvdgaag
08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I like to make notes on betting patterns... For example some never vbet small but do bbet small. Some never checkraisebluff. Some never raise on a FD. Some are capable of semibluffing on the turn. Some make huge bluffs, but small vbets or vice versa. Etc, etc..

All these things I like to make notes of, preferably explaining the situation.

When I noted something and think I'm quite sure its a good read I like to put a + or ++ after it. When suspect someone of something but am not sure I put a +- or -, etc. I hardly take notes very serious without at least a + or two. They are just there to be reinforced so I can use them later.

Antinome
08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I mark squeezers, starting with squeezer? and work my way up to 'can't resist a squeeze opportunity'.

I mark slowplayer? and work my way up to 'plays backwards poker'. These guys are the bane of my existence, since I tend to be a lagtard.

I have a whole system for minbets and minraises, these are great tells pre and postflop.

'donks x/y pot with draws', 'raises x/y pot with draws' are priceless.

more basically, I'll sometimes just make a note to avoid getting involved with some guys for w/e reason. Either they won't pay me off, they always have a better hand than me.

'Calling station' (CS) is a classic, but a little vague.

'Floats w/ second pair, folds to second barrel' is nice, but hard to verify. Sometimes all you can do is note 'Floats?'

Other vague but useful ones... 'calls a lot in SB,BB to LP raise' can keep you from wasting money stealing. Pretty much that equals, 'leave the table' if he's in my blinds. It isn't like I ever actually have a hand.

bored
08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
I write down the entire hand using shorthand for every big pot I see.

Examples:

call pfr MP 33; b3b AI 983 2f flop

minr 98s UTG/call rr; lead flop 1/2psb Q94r; c/call turn 2;
c/call psb river A

I think this is better than just
"bet/3bet = set"
and
"takes midpair to showdown".

I also take notes on pots that should have been big, but weren't, like if I see someone check/call AA on all three streets.

If someone is doing something a lot, but I haven't seen a showdown, I will write something like

minr w/ ??
seems to 3 bet light w/ ??
donk minbet flop w/ ??

Once I think I've seen an action more than a few times I will write a general note in caps:

For example, if someone has been calling down suited crap a lot I might write
CHASES FDs; VALUE BET

or if someone calls down any pair or draw I'd write
DON'T BLUFF; VALUE BET LIGHT

But I only four table, so I have time to take good, detailed notes.

Chxdgt
08-27-2007, 11:28 PM
This thread...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=2#Post6331669 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6331669&an=0&page=2#Post 6331669)

...was bookmarked in Pr0crast's NL Anthology...

http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm

...and contains a ton of good suggestions on taking notes.

traz
08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
I basically write down anything I notice that I wouldn't have been able to gauge from their stats (will call down with tpgk), as well as betting trends (ie, minbet = fold to raise)

Milky
08-28-2007, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=2#Post6331669 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6331669&an=0&page=2#Post 6331669)

...was bookmarked in Pr0crast's NL Anthology...

http://www.pr0crast.com/2+2.NL.Anthology.v1.htm

...and contains a ton of good suggestions on taking notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gold, don't know how I missed it. Thanks