PDA

View Full Version : 25NL: AJ hits J on turn, straight draw on board

Frozinite
08-27-2007, 03:27 AM
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com) Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $27.80
BB: $51.35
UTG: $10.00
Hero (BTN): $24.60

Preflop: Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, SB calls $1.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($3) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.50</font>, SB calls $1.50

Turn: ($6) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $8.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00

River: ($22) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $7.00</font>, Hero calls $7.00

Pot Size: $36.00 ($1.70 Rake)

Am I beat to the min-raise? I am beginning to think min-raises = monsters at this level.

Nick C
08-27-2007, 03:52 AM
Min-raises are not always monsters, but there are two things working against you here: (1) It's a min-checkraise, and (2) It's a turn min-checkraise.

I suppose this could be a little results-oriented, but I think I like a turn check. I know you could easily be ahead on the turn and plenty of worse hands with draws will call, but you also don't want to play a big pot on that board. (The problem is, basically, that a bet carries a lot of risk with it, since you stand to lose more if behind than to win if ahead -- partly because the bet/checkraise sequence, if it happens, builds a pot for Villain's river bet, and partly because it lets Villain know, once you bet and call the checkraise, that you have something you want to show down. Meanwhile, you're betting with the intention of checking the river down, so I don't think building the pot further helps you much.)

The turn min-checkraise is a donk-standard play, but unfortunately it's also not a bad way for someone with KQ to get paid off by a TAG with TPTK.

guitarizt
08-27-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm instafolding to the turn raise. After he bets $7 on the river you know you're beat.

wslee00
08-27-2007, 04:30 PM
definitely bet the turn - and also definitely fold to the turn raise for the reasons mentioned by nick c

stickdude
08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
That's a really weak river bet after his strong action on the turn. He's got about 3/4 of a PSB behind on the river, so why not shove? His line looks a lot like a Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif X/images/graemlins/diamond.gif combo draw that missed and now wants to take it down without a showdown. I think you have to call that bet getting 4:1.