PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a straight while in BB double c/r, thoughts?

Borno
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
5/10 live at Brantford. 10 handed.

I'm in the BB with 89o.

MP1 limps, this guy is loose passive, I've never seen him raise I don't think, and he's been at the table for a whiel.. big fish.

MP3 raises - this guy is a TAG, surely a regular in this game and a thinking player. He is in my opinion slightly overly aggressive though.

CO and button cold call. CO is terrible and very predictable, he is somewhat LAG, but passive at times too. Button is Loose semi aggressive, but generally a bad player.

SB folds, I call.

Please do not focus on the preflop action, I'm pretty sure its right and if not its very close.

Flop:

5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, MP1 checks, MP3 bets, CO calls, Button calls, I raise, MP1 folds, everyone else calls.

I did this for a couple of reasons:

1. I like commiting everyone for 2 bets here
2. It looks like I'm pumping up a flush draw
3. Any overpair or two pair will probably bet or raise the turn

turn:

5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check planning to c/r the aggressive MP3 or CO.

I figure if this works - particularly if MP3 bets, I trap the field for 2 bets each, a total of 6 bets while holding the nuts.

Worst scenario is I chop w/ someone that has a 3 outter..

If I bet I will likely only get 1 or 2 callers, who all have odds to draw to the flush anyway...

Thoughts?

bobhalford
01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I just like to bet out on the turn. Screw the tricky play, just bet it and get the money in the pot. There is no guarantee that anyone will bet after you raised the flop. If it checks through you won't be happy. Even if MP3 is overly aggressive, he wont want to bet his AK here against all these players with nothing but A high. I like a bet here too because if someone has a set/2-pair/overpair they can raise and you can 3-bet. A check risks giving the flush draws and 3-outers a chance to hit the river for free.

icepick
01-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I like the flop.

I'd bet the turn. Given your reads, bet and hope someone with 2 pair or an overpair will raise so you can get in a 3 bet. You've got the nuts, get some money in the pot.

ShineOn
01-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I like two other options better:

1. Check/Raise then lead
2. Check/Call then C/R

This is assuming the initial flop check (which I agree with) and the action that followed.

ShineOn
01-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Yes, betting out on the turn is your best option. It would suck if this got checked through and you do have a legit chance at getting a 3-bet in if you lead the turn. CO or button could very well have a decent holding that they will raise.

_TKO_
01-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Bet the turn and hope you get raised.

Save your tricky plays for smaller pots. You don't want anyone to split or win for free. You get the most value from those players drawing to a split and a flush. You have no reason to expect someone to bet.

ShineOn
01-05-2006, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn and hope you get raised.

Save your tricky plays for smaller pots. You don't want anyone to split or win for free. You get the most value from those players drawing to a split and a flush. You have no reason to expect someone to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you have no reason to expect a bet. Anyone who is willing to bet after your C/R probably has a strong enough holding to warrant a raise in this situation.

Borno
01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
ok... what I'm really asking though is:

how bad is my play? how much value am I losing when I give a free card vs. the value I gain from trapping 3 players for 2 bets on the turn?

Low Limit Loser
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like two other options better:

1. Check/Raise then lead
2. Check/Call then C/R

This is assuming the initial flop check (which I agree with) and the action that followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop, I like bet/call
Turn now, check/raise

TheHip41
01-05-2006, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok... what I'm really asking though is:

how bad is my play? how much value am I losing when I give a free card vs. the value I gain from trapping 3 players for 2 bets on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

WHen playing live, MP3 won't even bet AA on the turn here fearing you are going to c/r again. Seriously, just bet the turn and hope he raises,then you can 3 bet. This getting check though would suck a lot.

callmedonnie
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
When I flop really big hands like this I usually bet the flop because it gives me an opportunity to 3 bet. That said, I don't dislike the c/r at all. However, I would definitely lead this turn. In the event that it is checked behind this play is miserable. It is quite possible that the aggressive player was betting his flush draw.

gopnik
01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
I would never ever check that turn. You are assuming that people are smart enought to put you on the flush draw. Don't. Just value bet and let all those calling stations put in more money while drawing dead.

_TKO_
01-06-2006, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are assuming that people are smart enought to put you on the flush draw. Don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

SackUp
01-06-2006, 03:27 AM
c/r the flop is fine.

bet this turn, bet this turn! This is a horrid card to check with as overs will just check through. This play MIGHT work if an A or K fell on the turn as it looks as though you are scared an overcard smoked you. However, I'm still likely betting out as I would HATE to see this checked through. Just bet and get your money when you can. Hope other people raise and then 3bet them.

Also, even if someone bets, what if it is the button, do you still want a c/r now and push out the other two goombas? Give everyone a chance to call and raise /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TStoneMBD
01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
flop checkraise is easy. easy blind defense for me too. i dont like the turn checkraise but if you think it will work then excellent.