PDA

View Full Version : Double/Triple Barrels: What's the Consensus?

wrkingtobegreat
08-21-2007, 01:26 AM
I have yet to see a thread involving a double or triple barrel bluff that doesn't include one or more of the following responses: donkish, spewy, terrible, horrible, and/or awful.Do you guys think these "extended continuation bets" are a legitimate part of the good player's repertoire, or just spew?

wrkingtobegreat
08-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Maybe this has already been discussed ad naseum, but I've yet to see a good thread about the theory behind double and triple barrels.

hellmuth88
08-21-2007, 01:31 AM
at the lower stakes, this play isnt worth doing imo

tubasteve
08-21-2007, 02:01 AM
generally 3-barreling is bad and 2-barreling is fine under the right circumstances, such as good board texture or when you're facing a villain that floats a lot

nuggetz87
08-21-2007, 02:10 AM
conditions for 2barrel:

-any scare card on turn
-for any reason i put them on a weak hand trying to get a cheap showdown
-semibluff
-reads

for a 3barrel

-think i can blow them off a weak hand (obv)
-some sort of history/read with the player

yabastid
08-21-2007, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
conditions for 2barrel:

-any scare card on turn
-for any reason i put them on a weak hand trying to get a cheap showdown
-semibluff
-reads

for a 3barrel

-think i can blow them off a weak hand (obv)
-some sort of history/read with the player
-fun . . . weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nataraja
08-21-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm used to pretty much always give up after my cbet on the flop got called barring a perfect scarecard on the turn or an extremely fishy villain. However recently I've been two-barreling more and more and its definitely been a positive addition. Seems like a lot of the time the villain is donkey-floating (calling with almost air with no intention to bet/raise later, just because they don't give credit to the cbet and have two chances to hit 2nd pair or a low-end gutter), and when that is the case they kinda have to go away on the turn. either that or minraise you and put you on tilt, but still im a fan of the two-barrel cbet whenever it looks like it could work.

Clever Nickname
08-21-2007, 04:18 AM
I've been experimenting with two-barreling more on low flops where your cbets often get called with any pair at all, even if the turn isn't a scarecard. Something like a 9-6-3 flop, get called by a tight-ish player, turn is something blank like another 3, fire again. It seems to work pretty well, as you'll fold out a whole lot of the villain's flop calling range.

cs3
08-21-2007, 05:13 AM
firing often on the turn is standard and must be done if you ever want to get paid in a non-cooler situation.

there are definiely times when firing a 3rd barrel is correct and good players can pick these spots based on board texture, villain tendencies, etc (i tend not to be one of these good players, and often pick the wrong spot to fire 3 shells)

xker17x
08-21-2007, 05:15 AM
these things are often not generally spoken about becuz they arent easy to put into words however i think somewhere on cardrunners and maybe even xposted onto p5s i think muddywater wrote an article about when to two barrel however they are def not spew

ontiltsoon
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Here is a nice post by Orange

Double barreling (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=11741870&page=0)

wrkingtobegreat
08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. The consensus seemed to be that double barrelling is very conditional, and is based on your opponents, the board texture,ect, and IS effective. While triple barrelling, at least at the lower stakes, is something not to be used regularly because it is not as effective, unless your opponent will fold most of his range to aggression on the river.

martijn
08-21-2007, 05:22 PM
I think that its a good play in your aresenal.

However, the few topics about it that I've read so far, mostly start with "this guy is something like 40/10 and a callingstation, but I feel that he cant call here".

Save this move for people who can fold.