PDA

View Full Version : Neteller ATM card - A comission factory

silencio
01-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I am writing this from the point of view of an “international client” meaning that I do not live neither in the U.S nor Canada. Americans and Canadians will see less commission for their card usage but they are still hefty commissions.

First, 2$ are off to Neteller for transferring funds to the ATM card. Than if you are not a U.S citizen, your money is automatically exchanged to the all mighty, accepted everywhere, CAD$. For this favor Neteller charges 1.9%. Now, before withdrawing you might want to get some accurate exchange rate numbers between CAD$ and your local currency because if you happen to enter a sum which is bigger than your balance, 3.83$ will be quickly deducted. You might think it is a good idea to check your exact balance through the ATM but this pleasure will cost you 2.13$....

After you have made exact calculations on how much you want to withdraw, remember to deduct 2.93$ cash advance commission. And to tap it all up you are again charged 1.9% commission for converting CAD$ to your local currency (I was told by Neteller that they will reimburse the first 1.9% if I’ll contact them after each withdrawal).

Now comes the most fun part. No matter how exact were your calculations, you are bound to be left with some small change. Anything between .50 cents and 9.99 (perhaps even more if the ATM you are withdrawing from is short of small bills). There is currently NO WAY to transfer funds back into your Neteller account (and I am sure at least a 2$ commission will be placed on any future option). The worst part is the “Dormant Card Charge” which is worth 2.95$ deducted from your card’s balance for every month with a positive balance (up to 6 months or when your card is clean). Since I don’t know any ATM which is able to give something like 7.43$ you basically kiss that money goodbye.

Watch out.

imitation
01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
yeh it's kind of [censored] hey, but the convenience factor is really good. I just try not to think about it....especially sucks here in China where ATM limits are a mere $300 USD maximum withdrawl...

MattSuspect
01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
I can click 6 times, and by the time I walk downstairs to the ATM I can have $800 bucks in my hands. Its worth the 4-5 bucks.

knicknut
01-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Move to the US. Problem solved.

Seriously, though. You're paying for the convenience. If you continue to do it you've obviously decided that it's worth the $87 million in service charges. If it's not worth it to you, don't do it. (The economist in me is hard to stifle.)

xenthebrain
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can click 6 times, and by the time I walk downstairs to the ATM I can have $800 bucks in my hands. Its worth the 4-5 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with that is often that you cannot check your balance online immidiatelly, I always mail debitcards@neteller.com to check my balance and to calculate how much I can cashout. This always takes a while...

Tzak
01-05-2006, 12:44 PM
A little off topic,but concerning the debit card.I use this card at Bank America sometimes,where I also have a checking account.I don't see the buck or 1 1/2 fee that I see at others,where I haven't an account.I was wondering if they charge me anything and had some sort of paper trail because I have an account there.Tzak.

roundest
01-05-2006, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A little off topic,but concerning the debit card.I use this card at Bank America sometimes,where I also have a checking account.I don't see the buck or 1 1/2 fee that I see at others,where I haven't an account.I was wondering if they charge me anything and had some sort of paper trail because I have an account there.Tzak.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I have checking with Fifth Third and I am always charged for using my Neteller card at their ATMs.

TobDog
01-06-2006, 01:35 AM
I have always been able to transfer any funds left on the card back to my active Neteller account.

silencio
01-06-2006, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always been able to transfer any funds left on the card back to my active Neteller account.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how do you do that may I ask? I asked neteller and acoording to them is it currently not possible.

JRussell
01-06-2006, 11:41 AM
It is possible, I have done it several times. I think you need to click on Deposit and then there should be a link to use your Neteller debit card.

JRussell
01-06-2006, 11:52 AM
The debit card fees really aren't that bad (for a US resident anyway)...

You get charged $2 to load $1,000 on your card.
You get charged $1.50 from Neteller for each ATM withdrawal.
You get charged $1.00 from the bank ATM for each withdrawal.
Find an ATM that lets you take out $800 - $1,000 and you're paying around a 0.5% fee for instant access to your Neteller cash.

That sounds like a good deal to me!

As for the leftover amounts on your card, you can just withdraw them with your next transaction or transfer them back to your Neteller account.

silencio
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is possible, I have done it several times. I think you need to click on Deposit and then there should be a link to use your Neteller debit card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely don't see that option on my deposit page. Maybe it is just another way to screw us international users...

BradleyT
01-06-2006, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with that is often that you cannot check your balance online immidiatelly, I always mail debitcards@neteller.com to check my balance and to calculate how much I can cashout. This always takes a while...

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking about after you do an ATM withdrawal or after you do a deposit to debit account?

JRussell
01-06-2006, 01:58 PM
I checked and for me the option is located under "Deposit". It is the last option listed and says:

"Transfer funds back from your debit card to your NETeller account.

Make a Deposit"

There were no additional charges when I transfered funds back using this method. You don't have this option in your account? /images/graemlins/confused.gif