PDA

View Full Version : You give a young kid a gun...

ChoicestHops
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
You give a young kid a gun. That same day he goes out and kills a few other children.

The catch here is that you knew without a doubt that he would commit murder with the gun you provided him. Are you innocent?

Borodog
02-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Given your somewhat pathological scenario, no, you are not.

ChoicestHops
02-27-2006, 06:11 PM
It has a point, which might already be obvious.

FredBoots
02-27-2006, 06:12 PM
"You are responsible for the predictable consequences of your actions."

Guilty.

Borodog
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Well, I simply assumed the scenario was that the kid told you what he was planning on doing, and was credible enough that you believed him (rather than thought he was just kidding). You are essentially a conspirator or accessory at that point.

ChoicestHops
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
The kid didn't say anything. Perhaps you are a fortune teller. In any case, you knew the gun you provided would be used for murder by the kid.

Borodog
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The kid didn't say anything. Perhaps you are a fortune teller. In any case, you knew the gun you provided would be used for murder by the kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what the point of this arbitrary restriction (that the kid doesn't tell you his plan) is. It removes any plausibility from your hypothetical.

BCPVP
02-27-2006, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what the point of this arbitrary restriction (that the kid doesn't tell you his plan) is. It removes any plausibility from your hypothetical.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you in this hypothetical represents God and the kid represents bad people. Althought it's kinda flawed, since God didn't give anyone a weapon.

Was I right Hops?

ChoicestHops
02-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Alright, I'll get to the point /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

God is infinite, all-powerful, knows everything, & etc. God might not have created sin, but he did create Satan. He knew Satan would bring down the fall of mankind. Is God innocent of his actions?

Considering my ignorant analogy, the gun-giver could be compared to God and the child is compared to a human being. Which, compared to God, we obviously have the capacity of a child. However, God still provided the tool that he knew would cause destruction (Satan). Even though man had free will, just like the child.

Therefore, is God innocent?

Borodog
02-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Ah. In that case, I don't care.

BCPVP
02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God might not have created sin, but he did create Satan. He knew Satan would bring down the fall of mankind. Is God innocent of his actions?

[/ QUOTE ]
If by sin you mean disobeying God then obviously God did not create sin.

The alternative to "allowing" things like Satan and sin to exist is to remove free will. We'd all be robots doing what we're programmed. How do you love a robot who can do nothing but what it's told? Can it truly love you?

Rduke55
02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I chuckled at this.

ChoicestHops
02-27-2006, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The alternative to "allowing" things like Satan and sin to exist is to remove free will. We'd all be robots doing what we're programmed. How do you love a robot who can do nothing but what it's told? Can it truly love you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose not. Good point. Im supposing angels must have free win since alot of them chose to follow Satan.

However, after the judgement and Christians are in heaven the Bible says there will be no sin in heaven. If there's no way to disobey God is our free will taken from us in heaven? If that is the case then we would be robots singing praises if I have no choice to sin and disobey God.

BCPVP
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im supposing angels must have free win since alot of them chose to follow Satan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with that.

[ QUOTE ]
However, after the judgement and Christians are in heaven the Bible says there will be no sin in heaven. If there's no way to disobey God is our free will taken from us in heaven? If that is the case then we would be robots singing praises if I have no choice to sin and disobey God.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that's a tougher question. I'm not sure what happens to free will once we enter Heaven. I would think that free will could still exist since the angels had it and I haven't seen any indication that it was removed (though I could be wrong as I'm far, far from a scholar on any of this). So you probably still have free will, but having made it to Heaven and seen the glory of God, I have to think there really wouldn't be much reason to sin.

Short answer is, I don't really know. A priest or scholar might have a better answer for you, though.

PokerPadawan
02-28-2006, 05:49 PM
What if you give the other kids guns too?

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pkr2k5
03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

MelchyBeau
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then fighting groups of 5 year olds will become more difficult.

Melch

Borodog
03-02-2006, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then fighting groups of 5 year olds will become more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't aim for [censored] and they certainly can't handle the recoil.