PDA

View Full Version : facing float oop

jallabar
08-17-2007, 04:07 AM
this is a very general question. Am not sure if it belongs to this section...anywho

just been doing a 5NL session and Player X had position on me.
Everytime I raised he CC me. I usually do a cbet on the flop about 3/4 to potsizebet, he called it everytime and I pretty much had to give my hand up on the turn(Check/fold)
It was frustrating, only once I had a hand strong enough to second barrel so he folded. He pretty much gained half a stack just by floating me off my hands. I was frustrated, since I didnt know how to respond and found myself on tilt after a while. Leaving the table brought relief up but still dont know approach these kind of play?
Tightening up?, only c-betting if I hit the flop and then possibly a bluff-induced check/call or check/raise turn?

these quesion may seem very basic, but since I am still very basic, I would appreciate some thoughts, feedback.

thanks
matt

IcarusJam
08-17-2007, 04:13 AM
I've played you on stars. Stop c/betting him when u whiff? Raise smaller pre? Post some hands.

members_only
08-17-2007, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've played you on stars. Stop c/betting him when u whiff? Raise smaller pre? Post some hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't great advice imo.

Basically you have identified that he is calling you very light pre-flop, and calling your c-bets very light, often with the intention of taking it away from you on later streets. This suggests that you should make the following adjustments:

1. Tighten up pre-flop. If he really is calling you every time you raise, this is massively exploitable.

2. C-bet less when you miss

3. When you do c-bet, double barrel more often, as he won't be able to call two streets with air

4. Check-call on the turn/river more often with hands with some showdown value like a pair or ace high

bozzer
08-17-2007, 06:52 AM
if he's floating OOP check turn with top pair for pot control and profit when he 'takes it away from you' on the river.

bob_sacamano
08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Seems like a good oportunity to get money from him. members_only advices are pretty good. You can get a lot of money from people like this, choosing better your hands and trying to bluff less too.

After he calls you down 1 hand that you have a better hand, he'll probably pay you off a lot, then, enjoy it.

Mrage
08-17-2007, 09:58 AM
members_only is spot on there, I might also add that you can check the flop some of the time and put in your cbet on the turn, it looks a lot stronger to floaters like this. Overall, tighten up, value bet the crap out of him, and be willing to make some marginal river check/calls when you have midpair and even A hi (especially if the board is paired for the latter.)