PDA

View Full Version : 25NL - A9s in BB

RichAM
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
No reads on any of them. Just wondering do I 3-bet this PF or is it played standard as is? Folding is also an option but with no reads I think that is a very weak play.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($65.60)
Hero ($35)
UTG ($5.35)
MP ($36.75)
CO ($13.95)
Button ($5.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, SB calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.75, CO folds.

Flop: ($3.25) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $2.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $5</font>, Hero folds

justhetip
08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Sometimes 3 bet prefloop but it is also good to take the line that SB does in this hand.

Leading on a raggy flop is also good as you can take it down cheaply.

I don't think you should fold this 6 handed preflop.

Waingro
08-02-2007, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No reads on any of them. Just wondering do I 3-bet this PF or is it played standard as is? Folding is also an option but with no reads I think that is a very weak play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait what. A9s is not a very good hand oop. I would fold pf and feel pretty good about it. What does it mean weak? And what does it have to do with this spot? On the off chance that btn had QJo or something I wouldn´t worry about if I folded the best hand. That would be silly.

Worm75
08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes 3 bet prefloop but it is also good to take the line that SB does in this hand.

Leading on a raggy flop is also good as you can take it down cheaply.

I don't think you should fold this 6 handed preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really bad advice

25nl is all about playing fairly straightforward and staying out of marginal spots. 3-betting A9s OOP is the exact opposite of both of those ideas at this level.

The only time I would think about doing this, was vs a solid regular on the button, when I'm in the blinds and he has an ATS over 28%.

But again, like I said there are so many bad players at this level, you are far better off simply ditching the hand PF like 70% of the time.

RichAM
08-02-2007, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait what. A9s is not a very good hand oop. I would fold pf and feel pretty good about it. What does it mean weak? And what does it have to do with this spot? On the off chance that btn had QJo or something I wouldn´t worry about if I folded the best hand. That would be silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, folding this PF with 4:1 odds on a call with a hand that if you hit a good flop can stack the PFR (which really isn't much) or double through the SB?

I know you should usually worry about the PFR, but with the SB entering the pot is what made this a bad fold PF. I want to play a hand like this against a 200+BB stack. Just like when you play SCs, hoping to hit that flop to double through.

Maybe this is a leak of mine that I need to fix. What you think?

justhetip
08-02-2007, 09:30 PM
I guess it depends what kind of poker you want to play Rich.

If you want to play ABC straightforward poker, fold here.

If you want to maximise your EV, you are better than the standard buttons raising range, and could move him off raggy flops fairly easily, of course it is marginal.

Pick a better spot perhaps.

Maybe 25NL is about playing straightforward, but I believe the beauty of poker is in the marginal decisions and in not playing straightforward all the time.

Spurious
08-02-2007, 11:56 PM
preflop: fold &gt;= 3bet &gt; call imo

Nick C
08-03-2007, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, folding this PF with 4:1 odds on a call with a hand that if you hit a good flop can stack the PFR (which really isn't much) or double through the SB?

I know you should usually worry about the PFR, but with the SB entering the pot is what made this a bad fold PF. I want to play a hand like this against a 200+BB stack. Just like when you play SCs, hoping to hit that flop to double through.

Maybe this is a leak of mine that I need to fix. What you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that to stack SB, who appears to have a speculative hand himself, you're going to have to hit the board hard at the same time that he does.

So, yeah, if he's got AK and the flop comes A99, you may stack him, and if he's got KhQh and you both make a flush, you're really likely to stack him, but both of these things will be rare occurences.

Basically, you've got some big pot potential with your hand, but, if you're calling, it's mostly because you're getting so-so odds and will sometimes win a medium-sized pot with top pair.

However, your chances of being dominated by a better ace cut into the returns I just talked about.