PDA

View Full Version : The "PENDING" DoJ Regulations

jeff329
08-01-2007, 06:41 PM
I thought that it was stated that while the deadline passed, the reg's were imminent..so much so that it would certainly be done by the end of July...instead it ends silent..realistically will they come any time soon?

oldbookguy
08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
who knows.

As a note, there was a rule posted today on how to compute grapes converted to raisins grown in California today, seems really important to me, more so than the UIGEA in my opinion!

I want to know this and I want the government to accuratly calculate this.

Though this was the Department of Agriculture.

obg

FatalError
08-01-2007, 06:54 PM
john kyl must call gonzales' office 40 times a day about this

oldbookguy
08-01-2007, 06:57 PM
yeah but he's busy Covering His A** for lying to congress....and trying to spin out of it.....

obg

Skallagrim
08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
The longer it takes for them to write these regulations, the better it is for us. First because any delay is a good delay, second because I believe that the delay is evidence of the fact that they really cant figure out a way to do it with any real effectiveness - the UIGEA is just too screwed up to deliver for its supporters - how can a bank really know if your transfer is to an "illegal" gaming site, or a "legal" one? And how can they monitor ever changing individual state law? And how can they know whether something is "illegal" in a state that has no clear law on the subject (especially true for poker)? Answer: they cant.

They are probably just looking for a way to save face at this point: regulations that sound good but accomplish nothing in reality.

Skallagrim

JPFisher55
08-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Also, regulations might make it easier to challenge the UIGEA in court. They could provide standing to some party. IMO, standing is going to be a big problem for the iMEGA. The DOJ intimidation campaign is better off without regulations.

Berge20
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure they are nearly done.

Heard a few rumblings that they are ready to roll within a week or so. Obviously that is just some DC rumors, but comes from a reasonable source.

Content wise, can't really shed any light unfortunately.

yahboohoo
08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...regulations that sound good but accomplish nothing in reality.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just summed up about 90% of gov't (reference OBG's grape-to-raisin post above).

whangarei
08-01-2007, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Heard a few rumblings that they are ready to roll within a week or so. Obviously that is just some DC rumors, but comes from a reasonable source.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info Berge.

TheEngineer
08-01-2007, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's been the word for the past month, from what I hear. They've been trying to get them out, but can't seem to get the details right.

I hope we're all writing. It can't hurt, that's for sure.

fnurt
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I assume the regs are going to be followed by a standard notice and comment period, meaning several more months until actual implementation of the final rule.

TheEngineer
08-01-2007, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume the regs are going to be followed by a standard notice and comment period, meaning several more months until actual implementation of the final rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. We'll want to make a lot of comments during that time, of course.

SteelWheel
08-02-2007, 12:29 AM
I have no knowledge of the inner workings of DC regulators..but from general experience with how government works, I'll be surprised if those regulations are released at any point in the near future. It's much easier for the DOJ to go and round people up and impose settlements on them if there's no regulations, delineating exactly where the boundaries are. Great for the next generation of Giulianis and Spitzers--sucks for everyone else.

binions
08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's been the word for the past month, from what I hear. They've been trying to get them out, but can't seem to get the details right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Writing regs for a law that is difficult to enforce is, of course, difficult.

Halstad
08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
How long after the regs are released do banks have to enforce them?

Beastmaster
08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Once the Regs are in place , what are the odds they will actually enforce them?

poker007
08-02-2007, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once the Regs are in place , what are the odds they will actually enforce them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Enforce what ? Look at what happened already without any pressure half the sites blocked all american accounts. Neteller, moneybookers and a bunch of other easy deposit methods disappeared. The only way to cashout is with checks and even that could disappear depending on your bank.
What more do they want ? And I am pretty sure that once the regs are out some more sites might close, some more deposit methods like epassporte, western union and for fulltilt the major creditcards will disappear. Then they got what they wanted ... nothing left to enforce. They won't bother about the remaining sites or the minor remaining deposit methods cause those won't have alot of customers probably. And they sure aren't going to look for individual players.

So the problem will be on our end, not on the enforcing one I am afraid. It was a huge mistake to ever allow uigea to pass.... . The pokersites , the players did nothing till it was far too late. And undoing this law is going to take awhile imo.

The only good news is that online poker will not disappear and that americans that are prepared to make an effort will find a way to play online.

But I would not be surprised if we would lose another 50% of american players the first few weeks after the regs come out.

daedalus
08-03-2007, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
john kyl must call gonzales' office 40 times a day about this

[/ QUOTE ]

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050222/050222_kyl_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

"Alberto....I can prove that 90% of Bodog traffic is money laundering....and the other 10% are Devil worshipers!"

Robin Foolz
08-03-2007, 01:20 PM
while it would be interesting to see the actual regs, i'm more interested in seeing the reaction of the doj after the regs are done--will they actively enforce the regs or not after they come out? even if the doj know their chances of prosecuting offending financial companies using this law is non-existing for whatever reason (i.e. regs lack teeth), it won't stop them from sending out those oh so threatining letters to force compliance as the doj sees fit.

whether the regs have teeth or not is fairly moot. is how the doj will interpret and then enforce the new law, and how banks as a result will respond to doj pressure if the doj chooses to do what they always do (intimidate).

permafrost
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while it would be interesting to see the actual regs, i'm more interested in seeing the reaction of the doj after the regs are done--will they actively enforce the regs or not after they come out?

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like the FTC or FRB will enforce the financial regs.

[ QUOTE ]
even if the doj know their chances of prosecuting offending financial companies using this law is non-existing for whatever reason (i.e. regs lack teeth), it won't stop them from sending out those oh so threatining letters to force compliance as the doj sees fit.

whether the regs have teeth or not is fairly moot. is how the doj will interpret and then enforce the new law, and how banks as a result will respond to doj pressure if the doj chooses to do what they always do (intimidate).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no offense in "this law" to use for "prosecuting offending financial companies" if they don't commit the offense of running/owning an unlawful internet gambling site.