PDA

View Full Version : when to call a pf raise?

jerryf1914
08-01-2007, 03:59 AM
how often should i be calling pf raises in position? my pf raise call has always been really low (3%) is this good or bad? usually i only call with small pp's should i open up more?

RichAM
08-01-2007, 04:03 AM
really depends on stats/reads from the raiser to determine when to call/raise

i think w/o stats/reads your % is fine

Reef
08-01-2007, 05:48 AM
short answer: it depends

3% does seem kind of low though

JackAll
08-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Wow, you are really missing some positional advantage here. In position I would say adding in sc's (unless you 3-bet them which is fine), and probably s-1-gappers, and AXs.

Suited stuff in position is the nuts =)

minSim
08-01-2007, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you are really missing some positional advantage here. In position I would say adding in sc's (unless you 3-bet them which is fine), and probably s-1-gappers, and AXs.

Suited stuff in position is the nuts =)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about this?

IMO SC's (AKs,KQs excluded) are at best marginal winners for most players. Calling Axs against a single raise is definately not profitable for most players.

monkover
08-01-2007, 08:21 AM
I´m also calling w/ hands like AJ vs nits who´s 3bet calling range has my AJ in husge trouble.

TilTandWiN
08-01-2007, 08:28 AM
This is a part of my game I know I have to work on - at the moment I am a player who basically never (except for small pokect pairs) calls pre flop raises. I am a massive 3 better - and my 3 betting range is probably far to wide.

I think that calling PFRs in position is actually a very important part of poker. Sometimes I watch some 600NL tables and there are some players that have a very very unconventional style (that I would consider fishy if I saw them at 50NL) that do really well - and these players make alot of marginal calls in positoin pre flop.

Jzo19
08-01-2007, 08:35 AM
i like calling drawing hands TJs,QJs, and if im deep vs some1 is deep 2 , ill call 108s and such , AJs is def a calling hand for me but ill fold AJo

Fiksdal
08-01-2007, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I´m also calling w/ hands like AJ vs nits who´s 3bet calling range has my AJ in husge trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case you shouldn't be playing the hand at all, DUCY?

TilTandWiN
08-01-2007, 08:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i like calling drawing hands TJs,QJs, and if im deep vs some1 is deep 2 , ill call 108s and such , AJs is def a calling hand for me but ill fold AJo

[/ QUOTE ]

At the moment all those hands, 10Js, JQs, 108s and AJs are all in my 3betting range? Is this a leak?

Jzo19
08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the moment all those hands, 10Js, JQs, 108s and AJs are all in my 3betting range? Is this a leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

its def not standard , but i know players who 3bet a ton at 50nl and are succesful ,,,,u just have to make sure you dont stack of with a pr of jacks when u raise with jts ,

monkover
08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm no... a 17/15 or whatever might be very nitty calling 3bets but my AJ is better than his open raising range

TilTandWiN
08-01-2007, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its def not standard , but i know players who 3bet a ton at 50nl and are succesful ,,,,u just have to make sure you dont stack of with a pr of jacks when u raise with jts ,

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of my 3 bets are not for show down value - but just to create +EV spots (where it is likley to be checked to me, where I will bet, and villan will fold arround 80% of the time). It also allows you to create a decent LAGy table image. I often do it ALOT at the start of a session and then tighen up my 3betting range.

Jzo19
08-01-2007, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm no... a 17/15 or whatever might be very nitty calling 3bets but my AJ is better than his open raising range

[/ QUOTE ]

just barely (whats a 17/15 utg,utg+1 opening range AJ+KQ all PP and maybe ATs) ,,,i think u get yourself in trouble with AJ and u hit an ace or w/e ,,,

monkover
08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just barely (whats a 17/15 utg,utg+1 opening range AJ+KQ all PP and maybe ATs) ,,,i think u get yourself in trouble with AJ and u hit an ace or w/e ,,,

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends on wether you think you can outplay villain postflop or not. And this is the case most of the time at 50NL