PDA

View Full Version : How can anyone be a Christian when they learn of Zoroastrianism?

ChoicestHops
02-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, so Zoroastrianism was created before Christ even existed. It was very big in the Persian empires. After these examples I have put in italics the similarity in the Christian religion.

In Zoroastrianism..

A single god (Ahura Mazda) is in a good-evil cosmic battle between Angra Mainyu. People have a choice to follow god or his opposition. and at the end of time a final judgement will occurr.
God vs Satan, final judgement

After death, the soul meditates on itself for three days until it is jusdge by three spirits, Mithra, Sraosha, and Rashnu. Heaven or hell are two ending places for the soul.

Heaven and Hell, Purgatory, final judgement

A Saosyant, a savior, will be born from a virgin. This savior will also judge everyone in the final judgement.

Jesus Christ, born from a virgin story, final judgement again

purnell
02-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Without knowing any other details, it looks like about the same thing, with the names changed. Christianity feels better to me, because it is familiar. God is too big for my 'reason box', so I can't claim to understand Him fully. I suppose Christanity and Zoro-whatever could amount to the same thing.

ChoicestHops
02-25-2006, 11:24 PM
They aren't the same religion. Zoroastrianism was founded before Christ even existed. If this is true would you not find it coincidental that a NEW founded religion (Christianity) has the same beliefs as an older? Obviously Im getting at the fact that the whole concept of Christianity was plagiarized from an older religion.

purnell
02-25-2006, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They aren't the same religion. Zoroastrianism was founded before Christ even existed. If this is true would you not find it coincidental that a NEW founded religion (Christianity) has the same beliefs as an older? Obviously Im getting at the fact that the whole concept of Christianity was plagiarized from an older religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got no problem with that. Nobody has intellectual property rights on the truth.

BCPVP
02-25-2006, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Possible relationship with Zoroastrianism through Judaism

Some scholars[1] believe the eschatology of Judaism and possibly the idea of monotheism originated in Zoroastrianism, and may have been transferred to Judaism during the Babylonian captivity, thus eventually influencing Christian theology. Bible scholar P.R. Ackroyd states: "the whole eschatological scheme, however, of the Last Judgment, rewards and punishments, etc., within which immortality is achieved, is manifestly Zoroastrian in origin and inspiration." [2] However, the theory is questioned by some mainstream historians and scholars. The Oxford History of the Biblical World states "There is little if any effect of Zoroastrian elements on Judaism in the Persian period."[3]. Aside from direct contact between Judaism and Zoroastrianism, another possibility is that both traditions derived from a common source."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_world_religions

ChoicestHops
02-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Good point in saying the two idealogies could have come from a common source, Abraham for example.

carlo
02-26-2006, 02:31 AM
A religion such as Zorastranism tapped the same source as any religion which attempts to reunite with the spirit. The Christ Being was known by seekers in the ancient mysteries of many if not all peoples. Prior to the event of 2100 years ago the Christ worked from without the Earth but prophesies of his coming to earth were known by these seekers.The LOGOS(Christ) manifested in the body of Jesus of Nazareth at the baptism by John. He then worked for three years on Earth, went through a human death(this sacrifice was his choice as higher beings do not die) and became the Spirit of the Earth. Thusly you find many Christians speaking of Christ in their hearts. Christ sits in the hearts of all men(hottentot to the most obverse athiest) and is the guide of the future of mankind.

Jesus of Nazareth received the Christ Impulse which works on into the Earth. This can only be seen in the proper light when soul/spiritual natures are considered(including that of Man) as there are other spiritual beings who do not incarnate in materiality but are very much involved in the evolution of Man.

You will not have difficulty finding what are known as "Christian Teachings" in other spiritual movements(read religion) such as the teachings of love can be greatly appreciated in the Buddhist religion but the Christian Impulse is a DEED which carries on into the future.

Seeing Christ Jesus as only a physical man is the difficulty of the modern age. This was not always the case.

carlo

hmkpoker
02-26-2006, 03:45 AM
How can anyone be a Christian when they learn of Christianity?

benjdm
02-26-2006, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

roundmound
02-26-2006, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, im pretty much indifferent when it comes to religion but you pretty much prove that any retard with an opinion is allowed to be the forum moron. Congrats!!!

AJFenix
02-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Its not exactly a secret that Christianity borrowed the majority of its ideas and concepts from religions that came before it.

benjdm
02-26-2006, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, im pretty much indifferent when it comes to religion but you pretty much prove that any retard with an opinion is allowed to be the forum moron. Congrats!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't understand how anyone believed it when I was a kid and my mom took me to church, and I understand it less and less the more I learn Judeo-Christian mythology.

MidGe
02-26-2006, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were not indifferent, and started looking into it, you may like many others open-minded people be really offended by some of the tenets of christianity.

Miracle
02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were not indifferent, and started looking into it, you may like many others open-minded people be really offended by some of the tenets of christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaborate.

MidGe
02-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Miracle,

I don't wish to hijack the thread. So my answer will be brief. If you want some more elaborations, start a new thread, I will be glad to contribute.

One example: eternal damnation. To me this is a psychological/spiritual/theological or whatever form of terrorism. I find it very offensive.

There are many other aspects that I find offensive, but this one is, sort of, easy to see.

Mik1w
03-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Im not great on history but Ill stick my neck out and say that if Christianity didn't reflect previous religions (zoroastrianism, paganism) so closely it wouldn't have spread nearly as fast as it did.

NinjaMan
03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And some open-minded people might be really offended by some of the tenets of non-religious lifestyles.

Go ahead, group us all together.

MidGe
03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And some open-minded people might be really offended by some of the tenets of non-religious lifestyles.

Go ahead, group us all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Agreed, probably not all but most christians sects. Sorry about that. They are so many of them! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

2) It is very hard to attribute tenets to a lack of beliefs.

PoBoy321
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
What? There are similarities between religions that developed at the same time in the same region? Blashpemous!

PoBoy321
03-02-2006, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not great on history but Ill stick my neck out and say that if Christianity didn't reflect previous religions (zoroastrianism, paganism) so closely it wouldn't have spread nearly as fast as it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not sticking your neck far at all. As a matter of fact, many missionaries over the coursee of history have changed Christian mythology and adopted the customs of the area where they were preaching in order to cater to their audience.

The Heliand, (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07205b.htm) the oldest known complete work of German literature is a perfect example of this.