PDA

View Full Version : Paul Magriel?

ajohnson16
10-19-2005, 02:59 AM
First time I've ever seen him tonight.

Not insulting, but what's wrong with his nose? His left nostril goes like a half inch farther down. Is there a reason for this (medical)?

Autocratic
10-19-2005, 03:01 AM
Could easily be a cyst.

Matt Williams
10-19-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could easily be a cyst.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a duckbill.

NicksDad1970
10-19-2005, 07:23 AM
He was at a final table in Reno when Ron Rose won it. X-22....

otnemem
10-19-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Not insulting, but what's wrong with his nose? His left nostril goes like a half inch farther down. Is there a reason for this (medical)?

[/ QUOTE ]

His medical condition is called being a creepy psychopath. And he can't keep his godawful tongue in his mouth either.

Salva135
10-19-2005, 10:27 AM
His turning to Hellmuth and saying, "Off to the races!" with his 77 vs. AQ has got to be one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. He looked like the Cryptkeeper or something. If I were Phil, I don't know how the hell I would have responded to that.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Did I mention that he can't keep his tongue in his mouth?

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6172/paulmagriel9is.jpg

It's like, for two seconds he needs to keep that lolling abomination in his mouth for a picture, but he just can't manage.

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His medical condition is called being a creepy psychopath. And he can't keep his godawful tongue in his mouth either.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. It looks like he has tardive dyskinesia. Let's make fun of him for having a medical problem.
You're wonderful.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. It looks like tardive dyskinesia. Let's make fun of him for having a medical problem.
You're wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because I knew it was a disorder and that's why I decided to pick on him... And everyone's impressed by your medical knowledge... If you think that's bad, scroll down to the picture where I refer to his tongue as a lolling abomination. Douche.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tardive dyskinesia is a neurological syndrome caused by the long-term use of neuroleptic drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, still don't feel bad.

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. It looks like tardive dyskinesia. Let's make fun of him for having a medical problem.
You're wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because I knew it was a disorder and that's why I decided to pick on him... And everyone's impressed by your medical knowledge... If you think that's bad, scroll down to the picture where I refer to his tongue as a lolling abomination. Douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a douche because I'm defending a guy against your junior high insults?
And not knowing isn't an excuse for your behavior.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wonderful.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I meant to call you a touchy douche. I guess someone in your family is afflicted with this disorder, because that's usually the ONLY reason someone would speak out against a harmless comment on a message board. I could have said a million things about a million different people and you wouldn't have posted your opinion. But because something hits close to home (I assume) you decide to become the moral police. This is why you're a douche.

Notorious G.O.B.
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Well, the original question asked whether it was a medical condition. Even if it wasn't medical, calling someone a psychopath because they look weird is a little unkind.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the original question asked whether it was a medical condition. Even if it wasn't medical, calling someone a psychopath because they look weird is a little unkind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever watched him at a poker table? He is, indeed a psychopath. Either that or he's trying very hard to appear that way. What with the quack-quacks and double quack-quacks? He clearly has some sort of mental disturbance, or he's a very good actor...

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tardive dyskinesia is a neurological syndrome caused by the long-term use of neuroleptic drugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know those drugs aren't taken recreationally, don't you? Or didn't you google "neuroleptic"?
They are taken as therapy for other conditions.

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess someone in your family is afflicted with this disorder, because that's usually the ONLY reason someone would speak out against a harmless comment on a message board. I could have said a million things about a million different people and you wouldn't have posted your opinion. But because something hits close to home (I assume) you decide to become the moral police. This is why you're a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, nobody in my family has TD. I like to think of it as common decency not to make fun of someone because of a neurological problem. I'm such an ass that way.
Grow up.

Notorious G.O.B.
10-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I know he's weird looking, but being a psychopath is itself a medical condition. He probably doesn't have much choice in the matter.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know he's weird looking, but being a psychopath is itself a medical condition. He probably doesn't have much choice in the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not just weird [i]looking[i/], he's just weird all around. And the OP asked if he has a medical condition, and I said yes, he's a psychopath. So what are you talking about?

jojobinks
nice thread so far.

i'll mention (in an effort to turn this thing around) that he's one of the most accomplished backgammon players ever.

Born 2 Loose
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the correct term for him is maniac.

otnemem
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know those drugs aren't taken recreationally, don't you? Or didn't you google "neuroleptic"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well aware, thanks.

illegit
10-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Is this the guy that harrington says came up with coining the concept of 'M'? Or is that a different magriel? Or was it even a guy named magriel? i forget.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess someone in your family is afflicted with this disorder, because that's usually the ONLY reason someone would speak out against a harmless comment on a message board. I could have said a million things about a million different people and you wouldn't have posted your opinion. But because something hits close to home (I assume) you decide to become the moral police. This is why you're a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, nobody in my family has TD. I like to think of it as common decency not to make fun of someone because of a neurological problem. I'm such an ass that way.
Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you're a really fun person to be around. Constantly acting as decency police when someone tells an off-color joke...

Rduke55
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well aware, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that you don't feel bad that your making fun of him for getting treatment.
I'm not sure why I'm still responding to you. I'm probably sick for keeping this going.

jojobinks
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the guy that harrington says came up with coining the concept of 'M'? Or is that a different magriel? Or was it even a guy named magriel? i forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's magriel

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well aware, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that you don't feel bad that your making fun of him for getting treatment.
I'm not sure why I'm still responding to you. I'm probably sick for keeping this going.

[/ QUOTE ]

You either ARE X-22, or you're completely talking out of your ass. How do you have any idea if he's been treated for schizophrenia or anything similar? You're just assuming... What if he really does just have a fat, nervous lolling tongue?

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you're a really fun person to be around. Constantly acting as decency police when someone tells an off-color joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Please continue.

Rduke55
10-19-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well aware, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You either ARE X-22, or you're completely talking out of your ass. How do you have any idea if he's been treated for schizophrenia or anything similar? You're just assuming... What if he really does just have a fat, nervous lolling tongue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, because there was some quesion about any medical conditions and the tongue protrusions look like it might be tardive diskinesia?

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why I'm still responding to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really are the fun-killer. Why don't you go find a tardive dyskinesia message board and post a few bad beats.

jojobinks
10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really are the fun-killer. Why don't you go find a tardive dyskinesia message board and post a few bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. it was really fun, making fun of the guy that looks weird. i loved that part.

otnemem
10-19-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. it was really fun, making fun of the guy that looks weird. i loved that part.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant in life, not in this thread.

Notorious G.O.B.
10-19-2005, 12:13 PM
you're right. I'm just saying, it's reasonably possible Magriel might read this board, some of things you're saying are pretty hurtful.

KingMedicine
10-19-2005, 12:20 PM
ive enjoyed this thread. otnemen's posts are hilarious.

also, i have complete respect for magriel - he is an utter genius in math, poker and backgammon (and probably about 40 other things), even if he is odd. he's fun as hell to watch play. one of the truly amazing characters in poker.

he's also very light-hearted and i bet he'd laugh if he read this thread, too.

Rasputin
10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
He'd make an outstanding serial killer.

cognito20
10-19-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ive enjoyed this thread. otnemen's posts are hilarious.

also, i have complete respect for magriel - he is an utter genius in math, poker and backgammon (and probably about 40 other things), even if he is odd. he's fun as hell to watch play. one of the truly amazing characters in poker.

he's also very light-hearted and i bet he'd laugh if he read this thread, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's also one hell of a chess player. In fact, that's how he got his nickname, "X-22". The story goes that he played a 64-person chess tournament once....against himself. "X-22" was the player that won. Hence the nickname.

Warped. But interesting.

Hauser_III
10-19-2005, 01:31 PM
In the WPT broadcast, they said he got his name from playing a 64-entrant backgammon tourney, not chess tourney, against himself.

Of course, VVP and Sexton have been known to make mistakes....

cwsiggy
10-19-2005, 01:35 PM
"That maniac pushed all in with pocket 7's"

Jacques
10-19-2005, 01:39 PM
Magriel has a bright mind, he used to be a math professor at Princeton. He is an entertaining guy in person.

As for his nose, he enjoyed too much the high life when backgammon was popular with celebrities.

morello
10-19-2005, 03:45 PM
I briefly met Magriel at the Rio, while waiting in the cashier line. He was talking poker strategy with someone, and when I got involved in the conversation, he was pleasant and genuinely tried to give good advice to a random stranger. I didn't even realize it was him until a few months later.

Seemed like a really good guy.

MegaBet
10-19-2005, 07:17 PM
X22!! QUACK QUACK!!

augie_
10-19-2005, 08:29 PM
you guys are all haters. x22 is the man. i met him in copenhagen and he was very polite.

bobhalford
10-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Magriel is a good guy. His looks and his tongue are not his fault. I imagine the people that love making fun of him are immature teenagers. My father used to play backgammon with Magriel in New York back in the 1970's when the game was popular. Magriel is/was one of the top backgammon players in the world and is highly respected in that world. I don't really see why people make such a big fuss over him. It's not like he acts like a dick or anything. He's a good guy.

bobhalford
10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's also one hell of a chess player. In fact, that's how he got his nickname, "X-22". The story goes that he played a 64-person chess tournament once....against himself. "X-22" was the player that won. Hence the nickname.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not true. The game was not chess (I don't know about Magriel's chess game) but backgammon when he did this.

StLouisMike
10-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Medical condition or not one thing we do know is that the guy is truly a.............QUACK QUACK

Mike

cognito20
10-20-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not true. The game was not chess (I don't know about Magriel's chess game) but backgammon when he did this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. Come to think of it, backgammon would be a much easier game to do that sort of thing with anyway. The dice would introduce a large random element into the game where all he would have to do would be find the optimum play for each roll. (Much easier said than done, of course.) Too bad it isn't on video or anything....it'd be fun to watch Magriel offer the doubling cube to himself and debate whether or not he should take it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Scott

behemoth2006
10-20-2005, 02:43 AM
This might come off mean, but does anyone remember the scene in The Two Towers when Gollum argued with himself?

It would probably sound like that.

"Take the double precioussss..."

"NO!! I don't want the double"

Richard Tanner
10-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Save your breath he won't see your point.

Cody

cognito20
10-20-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This might come off mean, but does anyone remember the scene in The Two Towers when Gollum argued with himself?

It would probably sound like that.

"Take the double precioussss..."

"NO!! I don't want the double"

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I'll have to watch for that. Oddly enough, I just finished watching _The Fellowship of the Ring_ not 10 minutes ago and have _The Two Towers_ and _The Return of the King_ on their way via Netflix as I type this.

tyler_cracker
10-20-2005, 05:31 AM
I met and talked to Paul briefly at WSOP. He did not act insane during our conversation, but he did do the tongue thing. I think his insanity at the table is an act that happens to mesh well with his odd appearance and that tongue thing. While i don't think i've ever met a math guy who wasn't a little crazy, he made polite conversation without uttering a single quack.

It was sort of weird when we shook hands and he said, "My name's Paul." Obviously he's going to say that, but at the same time, it's like, "yeah, dude, i'm well aware."

Shandrax
10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Magriel is a good guy. His looks and his tongue are not his fault. I imagine the people that love making fun of him are immature teenagers. My father used to play backgammon with Magriel in New York back in the 1970's when the game was popular. Magriel is/was one of the top backgammon players in the world and is highly respected in that world. I don't really see why people make such a big fuss over him. It's not like he acts like a dick or anything. He's a good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! Besides that, Magriel has proven that looks don't matter unless you want to participate in a beauty contest.

otnemem
10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Twenty-four, fully mature and resonsible. I just calls them as I sees them...

10-20-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Twenty-four, fully mature and resonsible. I just calls them as I sees them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Studies show immature adolescent behavior typically continues until the early 30's.

ChrisMonkeymaker
10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
In his second book, Harrington says that Magriel invented "M", a critical concept in tournament play which is a big part of Harrington on Holdem 2. I played with Magriel in a 1 table satellite in this years WSOP and he played tight. He was also teaching a student who was seated next to him. He had HOH2 with him and referred to it constantly as he was lecturing his student.

otnemem
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Studies show immature adolescent behavior typically continues until the early 30's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I guess I'll embrace it while I can. Heeeeyyyy... What studies?

TheSkins
10-20-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad it isn't on video or anything....it'd be fun to watch Magriel offer the doubling cube to himself and debate whether or not he should take it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was a computer program he had coded, rather than him physically playing dozens of games against himself.

Atarirob
10-21-2005, 02:28 AM
His nose wasn't always like that. Same reason Stu Ungar's nose deflated on him. Coke is a helluva drug.

reo
10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's not just weird looking, he's just weird all around. And the OP asked if he has a medical condition, and I said yes, he's a psychopath. So what are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it his fault though? Relax man. Stop defending the fort. You lost.

27offsuit
10-24-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir.......are correct.

bornsupreme
10-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Jar Jar binks is close look alike?

otnemem
10-24-2005, 03:40 PM
No.

lemuri
10-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Hasn't he earned enough money to have the appendage removed? Or does someone need to start up a collection?

I feel bad if its the result of a medical condition. Actually, I feel bad for him regardless. But how much could it cost to remove Hedwig's angry inch dangling up there??

BAK
10-24-2005, 05:15 PM
On the broadcast of Ladies Night III on Saturday, Magriel was described as Isabelle Mercier's poker mentor. Perhaps all the hate is just jealousy?

2+2 wannabe
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on being the first person I've ever ignored, douche....

27offsuit
10-24-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

'F' them. I think you're pretty funny......

Ignore THIS bitch! *grabs tiny package*

27offsuit
10-24-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hasn't he earned enough money to have the appendage removed? Or does someone need to start up a collection?

I feel bad if its the result of a medical condition. Actually, I feel bad for him regardless. But how much could it cost to remove Hedwig's angry inch dangling up there??

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just a disheveled, old mathemetician. Ain't gonna change....

Hedwig and the Angry Inch....great movie (screen adaptation...whatever).

ononimo
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I meant to call you a touchy douche. I guess someone in your family is afflicted with this disorder, because that's usually the ONLY reason someone would speak out against a harmless comment on a message board. I could have said a million things about a million different people and you wouldn't have posted your opinion. But because something hits close to home (I assume) you decide to become the moral police. This is why you're a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

douche.

K\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Deal
10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Behold:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/KSteel/x22.jpg

Thank you.

locutus2002
10-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Wow. Poker players are generally unpleasant people.

I don't know him that well, but I do know this:

He has already achieved more than anyone reading this thread will ever achieve.
He is much smarter than anyone reading this thread
He is very social and has a zest for life

As far as his looks go, it hasn't stopped him from being much more successful with women than your typical one-armed online player.

UATrewqaz
10-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Funniest thing ever.

K\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Deal
10-25-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul winning 2005 "Babysitter of the Year Award". Check and trophy presented by Michael Jackson.

TomHimself
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring this user. You will no longer see the body of any of their posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats on being the first person I've ever ignored, douche....

[/ QUOTE ]have had hijm on ignore for awhile, [censored] moron

Buried
10-26-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad it isn't on video or anything....it'd be fun to watch Magriel offer the doubling cube to himself and debate whether or not he should take it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was a computer program he had coded, rather than him physically playing dozens of games against himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. It was in the pre-PC days. He played the entire tourney out by hand.

kaz1
10-26-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you are a tool on every message board you post at aren't you?

Quintin Merck
10-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Paul Magriel is Backgammon God. His book "Backgammon" is considered the bible for serious backgammon players.

clemon
10-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I've spent approximately the last 15 years looking for a copy of his book.*

The guy's a genius. I'd swap my brains for his tongue any day.

*I used to have it. Some git stole it from me. I could pro bably find it on eBay, but I've already paid for it once, and the postage on that thing must be punitive.

Joker2244
10-29-2005, 01:39 PM
WHOA. HOLD IT RIGHT THERE. Here I am running though this funny-az thread (including beautiful artwork) and you try and throw up X-22 sex life? I will grant him the fact of being a genius, a great poker player and gamesman, a flipping lunatic, physically and tempermentaly unique (quack, quack- which almost made me break my TV) AND being a nice guy even though we have never met. Don't cry for him, Argentina- he uses everything about his appearence and annoying f---ing habits to it FULLEST advantage.

...but don't you DARE try giving me a mental picture of Paul "M","X-22" Magriel performing any sort of sexual act. I just watched him hug Mercier on WPT Women's event and it make my pee pee shrink. Genius, strategist, god of some kind, but never naked.

gilbert
10-29-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeknom58
10-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking the first few things you said are probably true but the whole thing about him good with women..just cannot be real.

There is a difference between outgoing and good with women. Someone who comes off as annoying as him (quack quack) just cannot be good with the ladies. I know you're just going to say the whole quack thing is just an act and he's not like that in person...I'm saying this, NOBODY AND I MEAND NOBODY IS THAT GOOD AN ACTOR.

bobhalford
10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
"Backgammon" was recently reprinted. I got it at my local card club (which was just raided) but I'm sure you can find it for a reasonable price. I have it here in softcover. Printed by X-22 publishing. You may be able to get it at Robertie's website where they sell "Modern Backgammon," a new book that ranks as one of the best gammon books ever.

ekw
06-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Hello -- The best place to get "Backgammon" is from Carol Cole, http://www.flintbg.com/boutique.html. The softcover is $45.

X doesn't like the "Bible" appellation, I personally think it's the best starting textbook I've ever read on any subject. (that was a while ago...)

But this is history. The big question is, will his poker book be too amazing?

nath
06-27-2006, 09:46 AM
WTF this has got to be the most random bump ever

Paul Magriel does rule. So I'll allow it.

GeniusToad
06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JCool
06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was quack quacking away on tonight's USPC episode.

LasVegasMichael
06-27-2006, 11:31 PM
He quacks at the Wynn NL tables quite often.

Ron Rose (the guy that beat him at the WPT in Season One), plays the 2/5 at the Venetian (or 5/10 when it is going). Both are very underrated NL cash game players.

Pigslice
06-28-2006, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was quack quacking away on tonight's USPC episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they pronounce his name right on the episode, it sounded wrong every time they said it

fyi they pronounced it like mah-grill

AJackson
06-28-2006, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in as a non fun person who thinks you're being rude and immature. And uneducated.

A psychopath is a person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

I've seen Paul on several telecasts and I've not seem him display any of those behaviors.

He clearly has a neurological condition. Do you make fun of cancer patients? Nevermind, you probably do.

FuriousD
07-03-2006, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point of fact: being a psychopath or sociopath means you act as if you lack a conscience or empathy. That is clearly not what anyone is talking about with regards to Magriel -- except maybe for the idiot who said he'd make a good serial killer.

JJNJustin
07-03-2006, 08:18 AM
He's probably like close to autistic or something. Super nerdy genius types can be creepy. He probably has bolled a 300 game. Are you sure that photo of him with the trophy isnt for a bolling tournament?

The tongue wagging could be TD or could be just a nervous habit. The nose could be from coke or maybe a pitbull attack. Maybe he tried to teach backgammon to a pitbull. Maybe he tried to have 24 pitbulls play a backgammon tournament.

I think he is just one of those super quirky nerdy mathematical guys. We have some in our local casino. The one guy I'm thinking of wears "toughskin" jeans (light blue) and bright red ten dollar canvas tennis shoes. He also has a pen holder in his upper shirt pocket. Real sharp...

-J

break0ut
07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Hmm...

=

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/1841/michaelmoore6gm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JJNJustin
07-03-2006, 08:44 PM
There should be a whole seperate thread using this picture with "Fill in the blank caption."

I'll start. "Paul Magriel gladly shows the trophy he won while playing in the backgammon tournament while he was serving a light sentence at State prison for indecent coduct while tutoring an adolescent in math."

MCS
07-04-2006, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he tried to teach backgammon to a pitbull. Maybe he tried to have 24 pitbulls play a backgammon tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha, awesome.

vabogee
07-04-2006, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he tried to teach backgammon to a pitbull. Maybe he tried to have 24 pitbulls play a backgammon tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha, awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, double-LOL.

ZenMasterFlex
07-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I hope so, cuz I'm laughing my ass off.

ZenMasterFlex
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Funniest thing ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

TransientR
07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Shows you the type of commitment top players were willing to make to understand the game in the pre-computer program
days.

As an avid backgammon player (TranisentR on GamesGrid), I can say that whenever Paul Magriel stops by to play, half the players on the server stop to watch.

Frank

Damontis
07-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Entertaining post. Paul is a whackjob.

JJNJustin
07-04-2006, 08:43 PM
"Look Ma! They gave me this check and special no-drool cup if I promise not to come back!"

-J

Million$$$Man
07-04-2006, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not gonna lie, I expected far better out of someone who may have the best name on twoplustwo.

"They're illusions Michael. Tricks are something whores do for money."

JJNJustin
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
"I was so proud to win this trophy and certificate at my first big competitive event. Winning the all-state pinewood derby was one of the biggest thrills of my life. I used an atari home computer to simulate the angle of the track and allow me best design my car using basic principles of physics..."

Here is a photo of the car I designed:

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/standardwing.jpg

-J

JJNJustin
07-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Here is another car I designed. This is a photo of all the semi-finalists. My car is the white one in the middle with the duck on top. The other kids made fun of my car, saying "quack quack" and the phrase has stuck with me ever since.

http://hometown.aol.com/cubpack32/2005Webelos1_cars.jpg

-J

27offsuit
07-05-2006, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With Philip Seymour Hoffman starring as the irreverent Paul Magriel....

Marduk
07-05-2006, 12:41 AM
oh man it is so much funnier the third time

nath
07-05-2006, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"They're illusions Michael. Tricks are something whores do for money."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Or candy!"

otnemem
07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in as a non fun person who thinks you're being rude and immature. And uneducated.

A psychopath is a person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

I've seen Paul on several telecasts and I've not seem him display any of those behaviors.

He clearly has a neurological condition. Do you make fun of cancer patients? Nevermind, you probably do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, that was a really biting reply. el-oh-el! I guess we can just call you Larry Literal, since you clearly lack the ability to envision anything outside of its exact context. Like, Tom Cruise, by definition, is not a psychopath. But if I were to call him a psychopath, you'd probably get where I was going with it. See how that works, doc? I really hate people like you.

JuntMonkey
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
This thread is great. I can't stop thinking about the poster who is totally creeped out by Magriel saying "off to the races." Hilarious...

And then the guy who typed "that maniac called my all-in with pocket sevens."

It's seriously almost enough to make me want to buy the entire season on DVD.

JJNJustin
07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Althought this thread is entertaining, it is at the same time very cruel to make fun of someone for someting like TD.

His tongue wagging does look like TD, although I have met some quirky genius types who have facial tics like this.

If it is TD, that would usually mean he was taking anti-psychotic medication long term for some kind of mental illness.

I just want to make it clear that my making fun of the guy is is not a specific attack against people with mental illness or TD. I just think he's all around geeky enough to poke fun at.

But mental illness and TD is another story. These things are very sad and people should be more sympathetic.

TD is a terrible permanent side effect of long term use of antipsychotic drugs. I know many people with mental illness who are in utter misery from hallucinations and such if they do not take their anti-psychotic medication. Unfortunately, 5-10% of these people develop permantent facial distortions such as tongue wagging, puckering, grimacing, and chewing. It is sad enough that they are ill, and then the medicine that treats them makes them look even stranger and gives them something else to be self-conscious about. It is very sad.

I'm such a hypocrite.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-J

jiggaman0204
07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
I just can't stomach watching Magriel on TV. The tongue and nose are just too much for me.

KenP
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Post deleted by Dids

otnemem
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Post deleted by Dids

KenP
07-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Post deleted by Dids

Dids
07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
This thread has clearly got off the hinges and reach its apex with the pitbulls. I declare it finished.