PDA

View Full Version : A standard ruling?

_TKO_
01-05-2006, 03:30 AM
A friend of mine is playing 5-10 at Brantford and decides to raise the river with tight. He tosses 3 reds chips and 1 pink ($2.50) chip into the pot. Momentarily after tossing the chips, he states, "Raise." (Not sure how long the moment was, but most likely a second or two tops).

Dealer rules a string bet. Thoughts?

Banks2334
01-05-2006, 03:50 AM
He was late in saying raise, but increased the bet by more than 50% which would be considered a raise and he would have to complete the bet.

Bishop22
01-05-2006, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He was late in saying raise, but increased the bet by more than 50% which would be considered a raise and he would have to complete the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true, half a bet only plays some places. Most, at least here in AC, do not consider half a bet a raise. Anything less than the full bet is a string bet and therefore a call.

Photoc
01-05-2006, 04:55 AM
The rule is house dependant. Some placee if you put out at least half of a raise, then you are allowed to complete the raise. In others, it's a string bet unless you put out the whole thing or state raise before you do it.

mrkilla
01-05-2006, 10:25 AM
.5 seconds doesnt even matter , its after. However if it looks like he was going to raise and grabbed the wrong chip the Floor may let the raise stand.
I really don;t think this is a string bet, more a mistake. If all 4 chips went in the same time that is in one motion obviously.

_TKO_
01-05-2006, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...the Floor may let the raise stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really worth it to call the floor?

RR
01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
There are some places that have a rule in limit poker that it must be a full raise to constitue a raise. Those tend to be places that have a very weak decision making process.

In the majority of poker rooms that is a raise, and he woudl be required to finish his raise.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
The intent was obviously to raise. It's a raise.

SpaceAce
01-05-2006, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this should be a raise. Most (possibly all, it doesn't come up that often) of the rooms I play in out here in Las Vegas would let the raise stand because your friend put in more than 1/2 an extra bet. Besides that, who throws in four chips to call in a $5/$10 game when he's clearly using reds? If your friend had thrown in three pink chips and one red, I could see him not being allowed to raise but in this case, a raise was clearly the intent.

Mostly, though, I just think the room should enforce its own rules universally. As long as they never (or always) allow this raise to stand, I don't think it matters much one way or the other.

SpaceAce

Borno
01-05-2006, 02:11 PM
[censored]

I HATE YOU BRANTFORD, YOU OWE ME 1 BB!!!

>3

Jeffage
01-05-2006, 02:23 PM
This is true at the Taj Mahal, but not at Borgata (where the half a bet rule applies). I'm not sure how it works at Trop.

Jeff