PDA

View Full Version : 25NL: Was this the worst play or best bluff ever?

nanamar05
07-27-2007, 12:15 AM
I won't post what happened after I pushed till after. I want some feedback on this play I made....was this a complete donk play or a amazing bluff on my part?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1304970

What do you guys think villain did? You think he folded or called?

davebwell
07-27-2007, 12:59 AM
you're representing a big hand. If I were the villian, I'd figure you for AA, AK or TT at this point. I really can't see what he could be calling with except maybe 4d 5d, Ad 4D, Ad 5d.

Against any of these hands I think it's a horrible bluff. Why go all in against a calling station when 2 of the three possible hands he could be holding will beat you at showdown unless you improve and he doesn't.

edit:
he could also have 33 or 22 and if he is a horrible player 54o. Given this range why bluff? He either pwns you or he is loose enough that there is no need to run bluffs against him.

qdmcg
07-27-2007, 01:46 AM
this is bad.

3betting 89s preflop is just kinda dumb. it might work at the higher limits but its completely unnecessary and just spewing at this limit.

given that you reraised preflop the flop bet is pretty standard.

the flop isn't very drawy and though i think that you might find an opponent folding here on the turn occasionally but you're also getting looked up quite often and when you are you're drawing dead.

the reason that this is a bad play is because you should be folding this hand preflop, or calling and looking to stack someone/use position postflop to win the hand. deciding to run a huge 3 street bluff at nl25 is just -EV

nanamar05
07-27-2007, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is bad.

3betting 89s preflop is just kinda dumb. it might work at the higher limits but its completely unnecessary and just spewing at this limit.

given that you reraised preflop the flop bet is pretty standard.

the flop isn't very drawy and though i think that you might find an opponent folding here on the turn occasionally but you're also getting looked up quite often and when you are you're drawing dead.

the reason that this is a bad play is because you should be folding this hand preflop, or calling and looking to stack someone/use position postflop to win the hand. deciding to run a huge 3 street bluff at nl25 is just -EV

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I realized that advanced plays doesn't work in these micro limits after villian insta-called with pocket 44s...river came a rag.

My Question now is that you stated these plays might work in higher limits, at what level do you think players will think in an advanced enough way to credit my turn shove?

qdmcg
07-27-2007, 02:35 AM
the point of making bets like this preflop is to disguise your hand range. its unnecessary at nl25 because there are so many people who will pay you off with mid pair no kicker.

having said that, there are players at every limit that will fold to your turn shove. you need to know something about your opponent (is he a nit, is he a calling station, etc.) before you blindly go making huge bluffs. obviously there are more calling stations at lower levels and its unfortunate that you got looked up by a hand like that on this board but you need to look past the results of this hand to realize why its not a good play

DaycareInferno
07-27-2007, 02:40 AM
maybe my math is wrong, but there's like $21 in the pot on the turn, and you're bluffing your last $14 into it. its not like you'd have to have some sort of huge hand to do that at this point.

corsakh
07-27-2007, 02:45 AM
Your thinking is correct, but its not like someone who cold called preflop twice and then called your flop bet is going to fold turn.

nanamar05
07-27-2007, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe my math is wrong, but there's like $21 in the pot on the turn, and you're bluffing your last $14 into it. its not like you'd have to have some sort of huge hand to do that at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a donkey. It wasn't the the turn shove, it was how I set up the bluff pre-flop. I knew he was weak, and tried to push him of his pocket 44s.

You would think pocket 44s would be an insta fold in that situation, given how the hand was played preflop and flop.

corsakh
07-27-2007, 02:53 AM
I take my statement back. OP is obviously a genious.

DaycareInferno
07-27-2007, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a donkey. It wasn't the the turn shove, it was how I set up the bluff pre-flop. I knew he was weak, and tried to push him of his pocket 44s.

You would think pocket 44s would be an insta fold in that situation, given how the hand was played preflop and flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, yeah, ok. all that was over on the turn. up to that point his line was call/call/call. hrm. who would have guessed that he would have called again at 2.5:1

you can criticize people all you want for making stupid calls, but at the end of the day you should know enough by now to expect it and stop making terrible bluffs into fish.

LG87
07-27-2007, 04:05 AM
if i had to chose between best bluff or worst play i'd go for worst play

tubasteve
07-27-2007, 04:07 AM
pf is a call, not a 3-bet. you want to play this in a multiway pot. anyway, i don't mind the bluff if the stakes were higher, because you are repping AK pretty hard. i just wouldnt expect it to work much here at NL25 'cause no one is thinking on that level.

DaycareInferno
07-27-2007, 04:14 AM
nomatter what the stakes are, its not like it should have been that hard to detect a station of this magnitude before deciding that he's the guy to try a triple barrel stack bluff with a 9 high on. i guess that's the subtle genius. its the last thing they'll expect!

qdmcg
07-27-2007, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay so actually you are the donkey. the guy made a very good point. he called you on the flop and your turn bet is like 2/3 of the pot. there is a very good chance you're getting called here.

also, u can't [censored] sense weakness in someone preflop when they make a minraise. you can't read souls online.

rarely is it a good play to just "decide to bluff" preflop

reef2287
07-27-2007, 11:24 AM
he called every street, i agree with daycare and gdm- hes not folding to this bet-- he decided preflop his 4s were going to the felt probably which is funny but i vote for worst play, hes not thinking about what you have IMO, maybe an ace might scare him but thats about it and if he calls, most of the time, you have zero outs