PDA

View Full Version : top pr oop

Guruman
07-26-2007, 09:22 PM
no idea how to play any of these postflop streets. help plz.

villain's new to the table, but there's been lots of action previously and its entirely likely that he's a table-selector that saw good stats in the lobby.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
6 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $23.45
UTG+1: $32.60
Guruman: $46.45
Button: $15.85
SB: $8.70
BB: $22.90

Pre-flop: (6 players) Guruman is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises to $1</font>, Button calls, 2 folds.

I'm finding that getting coldcalled from behind sucks a lot, because I can't define ranges at all postflop. I'm sure that this is why the common wisdom is to just play super tightly up front in general, but of course that bit of advice will not do me much good in this kind of spot. Playing well postflop will, but i still suck at that so now I'm really screwed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif ($2.35, 2 players)
Guruman checks, Button checks.

I'm thinking that this is a perfect flop for any coldcalling hand to try to move me off of AK. Putting $$ into this pot from oop without the guts to deal with any sized raise seems like asking for a spanking, so I decide to check and re-eveal. I'm stunned that he checked behind, but hey maybe he coldcalled with Axs that whiffed or something.

Turn: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($2.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman bets $2</font>, Button calls.

villain may have been exercising pot control on that flop, or he may be drawing passively there. I think a bet here is for value, and i certainly don't want to play for stacks here but i dont want to give draws free shots at catching. I basically have stack commitment issues in this spot and its causing me to make weenie plays because im oop.

River: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($6.35, 2 players)
Guruman checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $2</font>, Guruman calls $2 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $8.35)</font>.

more draws just showed, but i cant fold this hand to that sized bet. this is essentially a limit holdem river decision, and in limit you put him on a hand you can beat - then call. I said "worse A, pp looking to bluff" and held my nose.

enumeration of mistakes would be fine. elucidation would be better. alt lines without thoughts behind them mean you suck at posting.

thx!

DaycareInferno
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
i like the way you played it, and the reasons why. the only pp that doesn't like this board is 22. i wouldn't have a problem with cbetting either, but i think the way you went is pretty reasonable too.

Sean Fraley
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like the way you played it, and the reasons why. the only pp that doesn't like this board is 22. i wouldn't have a problem with cbetting either, but i think the way you went is pretty reasonable too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would c-bet this flop with the intention of folding to a raise or shutting down if I don't improve on the turn or river. The main reasons aren't so much about taking down this pot but instead to create a nice aggressive image that will increase my chances of getting a better payoff when I flop good hands. It's always a good idea to be thinking about your table image, how it relates to the current table dynamic, and what affect it is having on the current hand.

Guruman
07-26-2007, 09:58 PM
sure, but I don't want to do that in expensive spots. I can create an aggro image with big hands and draws (and vs weaklings). This spot is not an image problem, its a position problem.

Sean Fraley
07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sure, but I don't want to do that in expensive spots. I can create an aggro image with big hands and draws (and vs weaklings). This spot is not an image problem, its a position problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand, and there really isn't any problem with how you played the hand. Just thought I would give my take on how I would play it.

corsakh
07-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Worse ace never bluffs this river in NL because its dead scared of a big raise. Like any other marginal hand, it always checks behind. The only hand that could bluff here is a something weired with a Q or a K of spades that missed the last spade, but its gonna bluff pot. $2 is really a call me bet, and probably a flush. You should be folding here.

fees
07-26-2007, 10:57 PM
cbet the flop, check turn, b/f river

Peter Harris
07-26-2007, 11:04 PM
tough spot. i like the flop check actually - not to say i do it, i probably c-bet there.

turn bet is good imo, but the river is looking for a call, given the 3 flush, 4 straight ace high board. I think a solid player c/fs. again, i'm not sure its what i'd do, but what i should.