PDA

View Full Version : clarifying equity

xtc
07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey everyone first time poster here love the site.
Hate to sound like a complete newb here but ive read a couple posts on equity and still dont get it... maybe its just the way im reading it i dont know but from what ive gathered a +ev play would be getting my money in when i believe that my hand is better then the range i put him on?

if im wrong could someone tell me exactly what it is and perhaps a easy way to figure out the size of pots to play with what hands etc... im a fairly good player just looking to take my game to the next level and start learning more of the technical things... Thanks in advance for the help!

Speedlimits
07-26-2007, 08:27 PM
There's a few different kinds of equity
Real Equity is the equity you have in relation to the pot (i.e. You have the nut flush draw so you have 9 outs to the nuts. Giving you 35% equity to the pot).

You want to measure your real equity based against an opponents hand range. And then see if pot odds are offering you the right price to call. Example: You need to be getting about 2-1 to call with the lone NFD.

Fold Equity is the other form of equity. The amount of times you think your opponent will fold to your bet is the amount of fold equity you have. This is where most draws get their positive expected value from. Combining a draws real equity + fold equity will usually result in positive expected value.

As you get better and practice more you will start putting opponents on accurate hand ranges. From there you can calculate your real equity + fold equity to see which play will net the highest expected value.

Also folding has an equity of zero.