PDA

View Full Version : PocketPairs with raise and caller

iraise50
07-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, I haven't been playing for over a year. I have been back in the saddle lately (and doing well) but have a question for you.

What is your general response to a 5 BB raise with one caller with small pocket pairs? I was thinking that with a few callers and so on, there would be about a 20bb pot, and if 4 1/5 bb to call (this was three tables at same time, nearly identical instances) does it make sense to call if your call ends the betting round. If we have a 1/7.5 rounded to 1/8 chance of flopping a set my math (not really my strong point for poker) shows that we are probably good enough for a call, assuming we can get in some more betting on the next three rounds.

I know it is a general question, but in thinking about pocket pair theory over the last week while traveling, I was wondering if I was going too much for the home run, or if, indeed, I was starting to increase my aggression better.

I did not post a specific hand because I was wondering about generalities, and not overly specifics of just one example of specific stack ratios, positions, etc.

Thanks.

antman1437
07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Depends on stacks. If everyone had full 100bb, I would call based on implied odds as well. If they are shortstacks, fold.

For example, calling $1.25 in a .10/.25 NL game to win $25 or even more based on other player's flop.

Knuckles
07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
As long as the original raiser start with at least 50 BBs I am going to call this every time. The general rule of thumb I use pf to call with a small pp is that I must be in a situation that is offering me 10 to 1. This 10 to 1 is usually a combination of pot and implied odds. In this case you just need to make sure that the original raiser had at least 30 BB more to call.