PDA

View Full Version : Petty Thieves and others...

TMTTR
07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Just wondering...

marty_palin
07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
I gave the free feed address to as many people as asked when I was playing on PS at the time. And I dont care about the legality

Sykes
07-18-2007, 10:38 AM
I watched it w/o paying and you know what:

[censored] the haters. I'm sorry it was extremely easy to get the live feed for free. And I'm sorry you had to pay to watch that donk-fish win.

And to whoever calls me or anyone else who watched it for free a petty thief, [censored] you you hypocrite. I bet you guys who did pay for it are no better than myself in the ethics department, because I'd bet my whole BR all you people bitching about paying the "only $20" have pirated movies/songs/tv shows off the internet in the past (or are currently doing so as I type this).

NickyC
07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I watched it w/o paying and you know what:

[censored] the haters. I'm sorry it was extremely easy to get the live feed for free. And I'm sorry you had to pay to watch that donk-fish win.

And to whoever calls me or anyone else who watched it for free, [censored] you you hypocrite. I bet you guys who did pay for it are no better than myself in the ethics department, because I'd bet my whole BR all you people bitching about paying the "only $20" have pirated movies/songs/tv shows off the internet in the past (or are currently doing so as I type this).

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir

suzzer99
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I would have paid for it. But the modem went out on my DTV box a long time ago, so it won't let me order anything.

Vavavoom
07-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I didn't pay for it as I'm at work and ppv websites are restricted...as are most things gambling related....I'm still amazed I can get 2+2...

Los Feliz Slim
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I knew there'd be a free way to get it, but I paid anyway. The first two hours were easily worth twenty bucks. I work in the entertainment industry so I'm pretty good about not stealing intellectual property (no, I do not download movies, TV shows, songs illegally). I don't care if that makes me a better person than people who steal this stuff, it just is what it is.

jhans24
07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Can't even look at 2+2 at work. Had to rely on Andrew Feldman's blog on ESPN. Not good.

Sykes
07-18-2007, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew there'd be a free way to get it, but I paid anyway. The first two hours were easily worth twenty bucks. I work in the entertainment industry so I'm pretty good about not stealing intellectual property (no, I do not download movies, TV shows, songs illegally). I don't care if that makes me a better person than people who steal this stuff, it just is what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are not a better person than anyone that does pirate songs/live feeds/movies off the web.

liquid
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet you guys who did pay for it are no better than myself in the ethics department,

[/ QUOTE ]
appeal to common practice fallacy ftw?

[ QUOTE ]
because I'd bet my whole BR all you people bitching about paying the "only $20" have pirated movies

[/ QUOTE ]
no

[ QUOTE ]
songs

[/ QUOTE ]
no

[ QUOTE ]
tv shows off the internet in the past

[/ QUOTE ]
no

[ QUOTE ]
(or are currently doing so as I type this).

[/ QUOTE ]
no

ship it!

Los Feliz Slim
07-18-2007, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you are not a better person than anyone that does pirate songs/live feeds/movies off the web.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think I'm probably a better person than most of these people, but the pirating has nothing to do with it. I'm just a pretty good guy. And everybody else needs to worry about their own [censored], and I will worry about mine, and that's that.

But you, Sykes, were the one that assumed anyone critical of stealing the broadcast must be a hypocrite w/r/t the theft of intellectual property. You were mistaken.

danielkomen
07-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Did ESPN make it available for free or was there some oversees site streaming it illegally?

TMTTR
07-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Never mind. I misread earlier posts.

StuckaRack
07-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I would have gladly paid for it.

But my dog ate my credit card.

Jazzy3113
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
you know what i dont get? there are some smart hackers out there who are skilled enough to hack the feed and then our so generous to give out the link. i dont get em but i love em. just like the people who get movies in theater out to the net with dvd quality FOR FREE. god bless em

RacersEdge
07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Stealing is just so non-baller.

luckyjimm
07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I am really confused by the existence of the free feeds.

There were two links posted on this board and elsewhere. One was an ESPN link - presumably someone bought the pay-per-view then posted the link, and hundreds used it for free.

Then there was the Channel link (can't remember the full address) which was a site offering streaming videos from lots of TV channels, including the final table.

In the first case, I don't understand how ESPN didn't shut it down. They had about 18 hours for goodness sake. If a password to an adult site is shared, an IP log will pick up it is being used by many people and automatically shut it down. Why didn't ESPN do the same thing?

In the second case, could someone tell me what that Channel site was - how come it had the feed? Is it basically a bootleg/hacked site that channels/provides a proxy access point to the feed one person bought?

I am amazed so many people were able to watch it for free, when with basic software ESPN could have blocked it. All the more so when the commentators referred to the WSOP heads monitoring 2+2 at the time. Surely they could and should have requested this site take down the links at the time - why didn't they?

TxRedMan
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stealing like this from a huge corporation who wouldn't be here without us is just so baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

metsfan88
07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
i fell asleep right before heads up started, anyone know if they are coming out with the full broadcast on dvd?

Sparki
07-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I knew that you had to pay to watch it on TV but I had no idea you were supposed to pay to watch it online. I just got the link from a friend. oops.

ESKiMO-SiCKNE5S
07-19-2007, 12:36 PM
i watched some but it was boring so i stopped (i didnt pay or even consider paying)

Zetack
07-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I did not pay for it for several reasons, none of which I consider to be a valid eithical justification. On the other hand, ESPN didn't lose anything because I simply wouldn't have watched at all without the free feed.

First, I didn't get home until after 8 PM and so missed the first five hours.

Second, I was primarily interested in watching the Tour de France that night and have no ability or interest in watching two channels at once on my TV. (And as I expected I missed a lot of the poker action as I watched the TDF).

Third, I was exhausted and would not be able to watch a significant amount of the broadcast (though probably would've pushed to stay up later if I was paying for it).

Note, I paid for the PPV last year, and would've done so again this year if not for the conflict with the tour de france (I would've pushed to get home earlier if I were paying for the PPV as well.)

I understand they're moving the WSOP earlier next year, so I'll probably pay for it next year.

I have abslutely no qualms about my choice. Take that for what you will about the state of my ethical values.

Querry, did the paid for stream have a full screen option? I certainly wouldn't pay for the small stream that I got. I am willing to pay to get it on my TV.

ReptileHouse
07-19-2007, 02:16 PM
I paid for the online feed. I knew about the free feed before I did so, and I still chose to pay.

Quite honestly, the primary reason isn't some ethical high horse; rather, it's that I want this sort of thing to become more available in the future and not less. Revenue is the motivator for ESPN, and by extension any other outfits considering something like this for other games. By demonstrating a willingness to pay for the feed, I'm doing my (very small) part to incentivize the providers to continue to do so.

Zetack
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I paid for the online feed. I knew about the free feed before I did so, and I still chose to pay.

Quite honestly, the primary reason isn't some ethical high horse; rather, it's that I want this sort of thing to become more available in the future and not less. Revenue is the motivator for ESPN, and by extension any other outfits considering something like this for other games. By demonstrating a willingness to pay for the feed, I'm doing my (very small) part to incentivize the providers to continue to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thinking, I agree with you.

On the other hand, I'm not going to do it just on that basis, I want enough value in the immediate to make it worth my while. So, while I paid last year, and will probably pay again if available in the future, given the conditions for me this year it was either free feed or not watching at all. And quite frankly it was mostly not watching at all, ya know, exciting mountain stage of the TDF and all.

That said, I really got my money's worth last year, though would have liked it if Tech had gone further.

--Zetack

Slow Play Ray
07-19-2007, 02:51 PM
i knew there would be a link to the online feed for free. i ordered in on directv anyway. it's only $20, i'd rather be able to veg out on my couch and watch it than have to sit at my computer all night.

Tarheel Vito
07-19-2007, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Same here. I'm in the Sports Broadcasting industry. Part of my job during offseason is locating copyright violations.

Actually discussed at lunch how 2+2 handled the link issue for the FT and how impressive it was.

rafiki
07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
the money I save watching stuff like this for free, I donate to various charities. Making me pay takes money from those charities. If ppv wants to live with that, so bet it. I care for the children.

trying2learn
07-19-2007, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew there'd be a free way to get it, but I paid anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously...what's $20?!

plus, I got to watch it on my tv instead of on the computer, which is preferrable for a group of people.

luckyjimm
07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
So why didn't ESPN get the free links shut down???

TMTTR
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the money I save watching stuff like this for free, I donate to various charities. Making me pay takes money from those charities. If ppv wants to live with that, so bet it. I care for the children.

[/ QUOTE ]

I declare "Bullsh**"

It would be $20 less you have to lose to us on the tables -- that is a more persuasive (and more honest) answer.