PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATULATION JERRY YANG!!!! 2007 main event CHAMP

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm sure you've never read 2p2 (DUCY?) but if you're reading this, congratulations! I'm sure you have a heart of gold and I hope you set a much needed precedent with your philanthropic and charitable actions.

CONGRATULATIONS JERRY YANG!

2007 WSOP MAIN EVENT CHAMP!!!

Poker is Rigged
07-18-2007, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you've never read 2p2 (DUCY?) but if you're reading this, congratulations! I'm sure you have a heart of gold and I hope you set a much needed precedent with your philanthropic and charitable actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban

sh58
07-18-2007, 06:58 AM
that's at least $850,000 that doesn't go back into the poker community

llleisure
07-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Ala Akbar.

Wait...sorry.

Priase Sweet Baby Jesus!

There thats the right one.

Despite his being a little weird and babbling about God and whatnot, you do have to give it to him. He was a friggin machine for 16 hours. He was more consistent than I thought a human could be. Go go God power - and probably Provigil since he's a Psychologist but whatever man, he crushed it. He gets props for that.

wonderwes
07-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Listening to this acceptance speech, he is quite humble. Congrats on taking out nearly the entire FT and becoming WSOP 2007 Champ.

speedyj1
07-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Wasn`t Full Tilt offering $10 million bonus to??

shipitkthx
07-18-2007, 07:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn`t Full Tilt offering $10 million bonus to??

[/ QUOTE ]

He didnt qualify on full tilt.

underthegun662
07-18-2007, 07:05 AM
congrats! he's a good guy

minnesotasam
07-18-2007, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't believe it, but I actually agree.

Jerry Yang >>>> Jamie Gold at life.
Sadly, Jamie Gold >>>> Jerry Yang at poker /images/graemlins/frown.gif

clowntable
07-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Introducing a new play: the shove 'n' pray
Giving to charity = good guy, he deserves it
GG man.

LooseCaller
07-18-2007, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that's at least $850,000 that doesn't go back into the poker community

[/ QUOTE ]

unless some dying kid's wish is to play patrik heads up. real men dont soft play.

zaxx19
07-18-2007, 07:08 AM
My ? is how exactly did this monkey qualify?

850k...PLEASE this crazy Asian is gonna dump 1.25 million minimum on the high limit Baccarat section at the Bellagio...

Christ give me a 19...I say Jesus give me a 19....

Needs of the community..We need a real champion...this is bunk I guess Deeb is the real WC this year...which is cool the guy is very good/classy/and has mastered allt he games.

This might be the beginning of the end of the ME being called the WC...seriously.

gordongecko
07-18-2007, 07:09 AM
man I hated that guy until his acceptance speach. the whole god thing was a bit much for a poker player, BUT he gave me the chills a few times. Good for him...really (and hopefuly the other 90% of the monies gets trickled down to the mid stakes games I play =( )

Debaser
07-18-2007, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
man I hated that guy until his acceptance speach. the whole god thing was a bit much for a poker player, BUT he gave me the chills a few times. Good for him...really (and hopefuly the other 90% of the monies gets trickled down to the mid stakes games I play =( )

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha funny that I liked him til the interview, he sounds like Stevie [censored] Wonder.

LGs0pHT
07-18-2007, 07:16 AM
This guy has no postflop skills and some decent preflop skills. "There was a raise and a re-raise, I was in the Big Blind with A4 of hearts and just shoved it all in, and I prayed to god".

OMG GODAMENTS.

etown
07-18-2007, 07:16 AM
obv the money couldnt have gone to a better guy

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the whole god thing was a bit much for a poker player, BUT he gave me the chills a few times.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the [censored] genuine article man. You never see that on TV once everything gets edited down and marketed to the right demographic but holy [censored] this guy is the genuine article.

Compare it to Gold's phony staged phone call of last year and you can see the score.

Plus, even though I have a special place of disgust in my heart for donkeys that overvalue ace rag off, I have to retract my statements and concede that he ran over the table and bluffed the hell out of those guys at the right spots.

Plus #2, anybody bitter about Yang bracelet must not be a winning player, cuz, quite frankly, I have my second set of chills thinking about how good this could be for poker.

God mother [censored] bless Jerry Yang.

MrTimCaum
07-18-2007, 07:24 AM
i think this guy is going to make an awesome world champion. congrats jerry. i was rooting really hard for rainkhan and kravchenko, but it's almost impossible not to adore this guy.

Bidz
07-18-2007, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a special place of happiness in my wallet for donkeys that overvalue ace rag off

[/ QUOTE ]

dersl
07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
uhm, yang still sucks

MikeR
07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Everybody wins. A nice genuine guy wins alot of money for charity and his family, he'll get free buy ins to tourneys where he will give money to the poker community, and he will show the conservatives and congress that poker players can be god fearing, American loving, charitable good guys.

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a special place of happiness in my wallet for donkeys that overvalue ace rag off

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, this too. I don't play texas hold them but aye, there are similar patterns of behavior in all my games.

minnesotasam
07-18-2007, 07:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody wins. A nice genuine guy wins alot of money for charity and his family, he'll get free buy ins to tourneys where he will give money to the poker community, and he will show the conservatives and congress that poker players can be god fearing, American loving, charitable good guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the phrase QFT, but this is a very good analysis in my opinion.

W brad
07-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Yang is number 7 on the all time money list.

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
uhm, yang still sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol [censored], my heart is much colder and blacker that most, so I defy anybody to not have their heart filled with joy after watching that interview.

Plus, i'm an atheist (too?) so don't give me that [censored] about you can't look past all the 'god mumbo-jumbo'. It was a thing of beauty.

marty_palin
07-18-2007, 07:47 AM
oh he won, thanks, I had to stop looking at the thread because (as I expected) asking for the NSFW images to be removed meant they were added in regular succession.

Rebel88
07-18-2007, 07:48 AM
I think it's great he won wearing a Full Tilt hat, it'll be nice to see the newbies come to Full Tilt, after watching the final table in September, instead of poker stars

JennFox
07-18-2007, 07:52 AM
exactly. i already said this in a thread in nvg but i think it should be said here too. everyone needs to stop and think about which audience this is going to affect. it could not be more perfect that a christian won it considering they are the ones whose opinions need to be swayed. alienating this guy would be a mistake. please be careful what you say about him and his demographic..

marty_palin
07-18-2007, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's great he won wearing a Full Tilt hat, it'll be nice to see the newbies come to Full Tilt, after watching the final table in September, instead of poker stars

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of stupid quote makes my week. Firstly people dont take any notice of what someone's cap says, it certainely wont influence where they deposit $$$ of their cash. They go online, join a forum and ask around.

Secondly roughly 85% imo play more than one site and the bottom 25% play PS and FT. So it doesnt matter whos [censored] cap or tshirt they are wearing.

You think I'm going to go buy the Family Guy DVD's because Kalmar had Stuey on his shirt?

dj_mercury
07-18-2007, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
obv the money couldnt have gone to a better guy

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you an "owner" of a church in desperate need of a new look, nearby where Yang lives?

THAY3R
07-18-2007, 08:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of stupid quote makes my week. Firstly people dont take any notice of what someone's cap says, it certainely wont influence where they deposit $$$ of their cash. They go online, join a forum and ask around.

Secondly roughly 85% imo play more than one site and the bottom 25% play PS and FT. So it doesnt matter whos [censored] cap or tshirt they are wearing.

You think I'm going to go buy the Family Guy DVD's because Kalmar had Stuey on his shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically everything you said is wrong.

Slow Play Ray
07-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Wow this guy is really crazy, talking about praying for a 4 in the flop and then hitting it, he says (paraphrased) "I have seen proof of God's miracles"

mir·a·cle
Pronunciation[mir-uh-kuhl]
–noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.

Silly Christian...

chh
07-18-2007, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the phrase QFT, but this is a perfect analysis in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[b] FYP

RichGangi
07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
This is the best thing to happen to poker since Moneymaker. Praise the lord!!!

marty_palin
07-18-2007, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you say so pal

Rebel88
07-18-2007, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron if you think that the sponsorship of the winner of the ME has no effect on the amount of new players it brings to the site. Stars has banked huge on having Moneymaker, Raymer, and Hachem as their main attraction. People watching tv who don't know poker think these guys are the best players in the world and wanna play on their site. Every site knows this and now try to market through final table tv coverage.

typically
07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you say so pal

[/ QUOTE ]

I say so too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

fatshaft
07-18-2007, 08:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you say so pal

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Agree also, THAY3R is correct, and Marty_palin's analysis is laughably off target.

PokerEveryDay
07-18-2007, 08:28 AM
I didn't really keep track of the ME until the final table. After last years horrible final table I lost interest. This Yin Yang dude was annoying to watch IMO. Could anyone move any slower? I would have INSTA pushed all-in on his ass. By the way, I stopped watching it with four people left. The ME has been a joke since the new decade. The HORSE event determines the champion IMO.

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you say so pal

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya rly. Marty, you could ask Jerry Yang about it. He has a masters in psychology and i'm sure he'd be nice enough to explain to you the psychology behind advertising.

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really keep track of the ME until the final table. After last years horrible final table I lost interest. This Yin Yang dude was annoying to watch IMO. Could anyone move any slower? I would have INSTA pushed all-in on his ass. By the way, I stopped watching it with four people left. The ME has been a joke since the new decade. The HORSE event determines the champion IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will pass on your heartfelt congrats to Mr. Yang if I ever see him.

BOTW
07-18-2007, 08:32 AM
JHC: Hey Gabriel!
JHC: watch this!!!!!!
ArchyA: whatev? coinflips are boring
JHC: srs- just watch
ArchyA: so u liek canada now or somthin?
JHC: STFU--watch
ArchyA: HAHAHAAH, that runner-runner [censored] tilts those monkeys hard
JHC: go wake up Emil

CONGRATULATION JERRY YANG!!!! 2007 main event CHAMP

adios
07-18-2007, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO donkament determining a champion. Only champion determination made is of that donkament.

Fish R Friends
07-18-2007, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And NASCAR is plastered with logos because they just love the colors and cute outfits? That mulit-billion dollar redneck turnleftament shows how powerful logos and branding are to people. Newbies will flock to FTP.

On another note, there has been a good deal of talk about opening up the Eastern Market with poker (lol, poker v. Bac) and Jerry, an Asian champ, will certainly have an effect on that.

Schwatt
07-18-2007, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That multi-billion dollar redneck turnleftament

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

TMTTR
07-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Watching him talk to Chad this morning, I finally understand that it is God that is allowing the fish to suck out on me. Now I can rest in peace.

Despite the overabundance of religion in his interview (come on Jerry, take some credit yourself!), I too had tears in my eyes.

Nice going, Jerry.

revots33
07-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't really hold the religion stuff against him, although it was a little over the top on the Watkinson hand. But that's who he is. He seems like a genuine guy and I'm happy to see him win it. And he deserved it, going from 2nd-smallest stack to basically steamrolling over everyone at the final table. GG Jerry.

Los Feliz Slim
07-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I defy you to watch this interview with Jerry Yang on Poker News and not kind of like the guy and think he's good for poker. (http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/video-gallery/)

Humble, reserved, guy. And he could feel the straight coming, honestly! He FELT it! Seriously, this is great.

randomcards
07-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Congratulations Jerry!

Jerry really owned the final table. Anybody playing and aggressive style like he did will have chip swings, he definately had some good luck, but he lost some big ones also.

I am amazed by the amount of posters that would not know a good person if they were right in front of them. I think many people here would have given him more respect if he had said he was going to spend the money on hookers and blow.

That is really really sad.

Jerry surely isn't the best player in poker today, but he had a great run, and played well enough to make it through many many hours of poker and run over a final table. Give the man some respect.

BTW also as a conservative, I am glad for someone like Jerry repping that not all poker players are the degenerate gamblers with questionable moral taste and no family values. Those folks can dominate msg boards like this and give us all a bad name.

GotQuads
07-18-2007, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations Jerry!

Jerry really owned the final table. Anybody playing and aggressive style like he did will have chip swings, he definately had some good luck, but he lost some big ones also.

I am amazed by the amount of posters that would not know a good person if they were right in front of them. I think many people here would have given him more respect if he had said he was going to spend the money in online tournaments and cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Eder
07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm glad he won...it sounds like much of the $$ will go to worthy purposes rather than getting donked off. Cool guy and worthy champ.

Ace-Ex
07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
He pwned the first hour of the FT and then held on.

Hopefully he'll attract a lot of religious gamb00lers to poker.

SGspecial
07-18-2007, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he might be right about the Stuey part...

BenJammin'
07-18-2007, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol to talking about "newbies" when you have 2 posts

TMTTR
07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but if they are as religious as Jerry, God will be on their side and you can never win...

BenJammin'
07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lolshoveandprayaments

BenJammin'
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've clearly never taken a marketing course or understand how the entire freemarket business world works...
Key words/phrases to look up:
-PRODUCT PLACEMENT
-SPONSORSHIP
-ADVERTISEMENT

Dunkman
07-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I was rooting against this guy last night, but I'm actually glad he won now. Right now poker needs image help, and this guy can certainly help with that. Also, he seems like a good guy. Finally, the other guys played like pussies, and let him run them over...I'm not sure if anyone deserved to win besides him.

AngusThermopyle
07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
How much did Bodog benefit from Gold? (I know they dropped him in January)

schwza
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I defy you to watch this interview with Jerry Yang on Poker News and not kind of like the guy and think he's good for poker. (http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/video-gallery/)

Humble, reserved, guy. And he could feel the straight coming, honestly! He FELT it! Seriously, this is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for this link. this guy is basically perfect imo in terms of being good for the game and also just seeming like a really cool down to earth guy. my only complaint is that he was wearing full tilt stuff instead of poker stars.

FGators
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Why do people that post in BBV and play $16 sit n gos always bashing people's play?

The guy can obviously handle himself at the table both playing wise and with humility, congrats.

nath
07-18-2007, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he might be right about the Stuey part...

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's "Stewie", so he's definitely wrong at least about that...

diggla
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey that guy is very nice. Just watched the pokernews interview and he is very mellow and soft ;D. His table image was the opposite especially at the beginning of the FT, so he is good at switching gears. He can easily be misinterpreted as a praying maniac 8). Be a good pokah ambassador!

JooWish622
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM
this sets back atheism a little

Rebel88
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol to talking about "newbies" when you have 2 posts

[/ QUOTE ]

Having 2 posts on 2+2=new to poker, good logic!

LuckyTxGuy
07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Just watched the interview and I'm not sure a nicer guy could have won it. Very humble, honest and well spoken. He just seems like a super nice everyday guy. He seems like he'll be a super ambassador for poker over the next year and contrary to what some of you might like to think, this guy's image is what poker needs.

mrjetguy
07-18-2007, 11:53 AM
not a great poker player, but a decent guy. I am much happier to see him win than Jamie Gold.

NozeCandy
07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
God this thread is great

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hilariously dumb.

[ QUOTE ]

Why do people that post in BBV and play $16 sit n gos always bashing people's play?

The guy can obviously handle himself at the table both playing wise and with humility, congrats

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny as well considering the source.

Merek007
07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And not even close...

TMTTR
07-18-2007, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
God this thread is great

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure that God had anything to do with thread... oh wait... we are talking about Jerry Yang... never mind...

graarrg
07-18-2007, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
God this thread is great

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure that God had anything to do with thread... oh wait... we are talking about Jerry Yang... never mind...

[/ QUOTE ]

um, zing!

jjnidguy
07-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I second the congrats.

I can't believe some of the people on this forum...
His religous zeal was totally fine and unobtrusive.
He wasn't getting in anyones face about it, he wasn't trying to get into other peoples busniess, and he never even went to it unless it was all in with no action left. Totally appropriate. Just cause you all hate Republicans doesn't mean you have to take it out on a guy whos grateful to some universal diety for the fortunes in his life. He's even giving to secular charities that we all can agree with.
For as much on air time was given to Lee Watkinson and his freakin chimps there should be 10 times for this guy.

Also, to all the people who are complaining about the money that wont be back in the poker community....
are you [censored] kidding me? you're serisouly whining about how your degenerate ass, MGM Mirage and Harrahs aren't going to have access to the money instead of charities called "Feed the Children".

Also calling him a complete donkey is a little much. My only one real critism of his play was the wild range of open raises at the full table. That did show a lot of inexperience. But hey, he is unexperienced, and frankly he played pretty damn good for someone with two years experience. Think back to when you had only been playing for two years and how bad you were.

I would say the way rahme played kings, and the danish guy played his bottom pair, mid flush draw with ONE card to come, and Watkinson's totally uneccassary overbet with his life on the line with A7, were all incredibly worse than anything yang did.

Also hes going to be a way better ambassador considering hes the average joe giving to charity and acted like a complete gentleman throughout than the guy who had to go through legal actions just to get his payout because of shadyness with deals.

Ace-Ex
07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
He just reminded me of Kurt Warner... a guy you like to root for until he starts opening his mouth and preaching about what a great religinut he is.

BennyMac
07-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Is there a capture of the interview with Norman Chad anywhere?

RonFezBuddy
07-18-2007, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know there's really no reason to jump in on the beating this guy is taking for writing his post, but in a post full of really horribly inaccurate perceptions, the item in bold is the most off base.

No one joins an online forum before donking off a few buyins or tourney entry fees. If >0.0001% of players are forum members before they have site accounts I'd be surprised.

benza13
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JHC: Hey Gabriel!
JHC: watch this!!!!!!
ArchyA: whatev? coinflips are boring
JHC: srs- just watch
ArchyA: so u liek canada now or somthin?
JHC: STFU--watch
ArchyA: HAHAHAAH, that runner-runner [censored] tilts those monkeys hard
JHC: go wake up Emil

CONGRATULATION JERRY YANG!!!! 2007 main event CHAMP

[/ QUOTE ]

This needs some love.

Although I lost some money betting against him and the God stuff got annoying during the broadcast, I couldn't agree more that Yang is going to be good for poker.

HorridSludgyBits
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but if they are as religious as Jerry, God will be on their side and you can never win...

[/ QUOTE ]

This not getting enough love, lol

aramfingal
07-18-2007, 01:12 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2007 WORLD CHAMPION OF POKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

way to go freddy deeb

JooWish622
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
you dont know anything...

[ QUOTE ]
I second the congrats.

I can't believe some of the people on this forum...
He wasn't getting in anyones face about it, he wasn't trying to get into other peoples busniess, and he never even went to it unless it was all in with no action left. Totally appropriate. Just cause you all hate Republicans doesn't mean you have to take it out on a guy whos grateful to some universal diety for the fortunes in his life. He's even giving to secular charities that we all can agree with.
For as much on air time was given to Lee Watkinson and his freakin chimps there should be 10 times for this guy.

Also, to all the people who are complaining about the money that wont be back in the poker community....
are you [censored] kidding me? you're serisouly whining about how your degenerate ass, MGM Mirage and Harrahs aren't going to have access to the money instead of charities called "Feed the Children".

Also calling him a complete donkey is a little much. My only one real critism of his play was the wild range of open raises at the full table. That did show a lot of inexperience. But hey, he is unexperienced, and frankly he played pretty damn good for someone with two years experience. Think back to when you had only been playing for two years and how bad you were.

I would say the way rahme played kings, and the danish guy played his bottom pair, mid flush draw with ONE card to come, and Watkinson's totally uneccassary overbet with his life on the line with A7, were all incredibly worse than anything yang did.

Also hes going to be a way better ambassador considering hes the average joe giving to charity and acted like a complete gentleman throughout than the guy who had to go through legal actions just to get his payout because of shadyness with deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the gist of this one. Nobody is complaining about the money going to charity, they're complaining that he won't, a la Jamie Gold et al, donk off the non charity money at high stakes cash games.

This is not supposed to be thread attacking other viewpoints, it's the show some love thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

YoungOne
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Congratulations Jerry Yang.

Hmong Pride. This is going to be good for the game because Hmong/Asian are sick gamblers. BTW, I'm Hmong haha. He's going to be all over the Hmong Media in USA/World.

benza13
07-18-2007, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the gist of this one. Nobody is complaining about the money going to charity, they're complaining that he won't, a la Jamie Gold et al, donk off the non charity money at high stakes cash games.

This is not supposed to be thread attacking other viewpoints, it's the show some love thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, Jamie Gold only brought $100k to HSP, I'm sure Yang could be convinced to do the same. And he'll definitely be playing more tournaments with the money as well, some of this will trickle back into the community.

To everyone complaining - how much do you think Raymer has given back, Hachem?

Tuan Lam who came in 2nd is a 200/400 regular on Stars, think he'll be donating much other than maybe moving up to 300/600 or 500/1k where 15 people have a shot at the money.

SpeakEasy
07-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Post-game interview with Norman Chad --

Yang: "I come to this tournament, and I meet you, and I am honored to be in your presence. It was a great moment for me to meet you. And now I sit with you again at the end of the tournament. I am so blessed." [Or something close to this]

Chad stares back without the slightest reaction, thinking: "I have no clue who you were before this final table. I don't remember meeting you. And, until now, I had no idea what you actually looked like, with the black jacket, black hat, black shades and hands covering the remainder of your face. But nice game."

namisgr
07-18-2007, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow this guy is really crazy, talking about praying for a 4 in the flop and then hitting it, he says (paraphrased) "I have seen proof of God's miracles"

mir·a·cle
–noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.

Silly Christian...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you gotta admit its a miracle Jerry won. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Much as I like the guy's humility and backstory, I was totally creeped out by the near-fundamentalism of the praying for cards. Hoping as hard as you can is one thing, but this was something altogether different.

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, Jamie Gold only brought $100k to HSP, I'm sure Yang could be convinced to do the same. And he'll definitely be playing more tournaments with the money as well, some of this will trickle back into the community.

To everyone complaining - how much do you think Raymer has given back, Hachem?

Tuan Lam who came in 2nd is a 200/400 regular on Stars, think he'll be donating much other than maybe moving up to 300/600 or 500/1k where 15 people have a shot at the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Hachem was a winning cash game player before he blew up in the donkament, and Raymer's solid though has been known to donk off a bit in O/O8.

Meh, I was just making the point that nobody is hating on him giving to charity.

bigt2k4
07-18-2007, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the phrase QFT, but this is a awful analysis in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

[b] FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
How does one who gets free buyins give money back to the community?

rebuyboy
07-18-2007, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gumpzilla
07-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I watched the pay per view up until the Rahme/Yang AQ/QQ hand at about 3:30 ET and then went home. I'd sort of like to read the amazingly huge thread on the FT, but it's unlikely I'll read through all of that, so perhaps somebody could fill me in.

I found Yang's table persona annoying, between what I considered excessive slowness and the "I will glorify your name" nonsense. I'm sure he's a nice guy. But I was a bit surprised that Gordon was railing on him so much for so long about how bad he was playing. I actually thought Yang was playing quite nicely. Certainly he was by far the most aggressive and really set the tempo. There weren't many moves I saw that I thought were horrendous in the time I was watching, the JT call against Kravchenko being the only one that looked bad.

I actually really liked the A9 call against Watkinson's A7 shove, given Yang's image at the table at the time and the positions in that hand; I expected Watkinson to be shoving all kinds of nonsense there. The AT call against Lam's KQ, after some thought, I think I like as well - it was a limped pot, Lam seemed unlikely to play a mediocre J that way, and there were enough drawing hands that I think you can justify it. I can be convinced on that one.

Anyway, it looks like some people here still weren't that impressed by Yang, so are there any major hands that I'm missing after I went to sleep (from the last 3 hours of the tournament)?

DrewDevil
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's great that he's giving 10% to charity and bravo to him for doing it.

But his prayers at the table for a specific card, or a miracle, were completely over the top and ridiculous, not to mention contrary to scripture.

[ QUOTE ]
But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

[/ QUOTE ]
--Matthew 6:6

[ QUOTE ]
Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'" Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

[/ QUOTE ]
-- Matthew 4:5-7 (referencing Deuteronomy 6:16)

student_of_game
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Congratulations to Jerry Yang as well! He really dominated the final table.

Sure he got lucky in spots (e.g., the J8ss vs KhJc hand), but he also got unlucky in spots too (e.g., the QQ vs. AQ hand). Just looking quickly over the all-in & call confrontations, Jerry won six of these and lost six of these. However, he was the clear favorite five times, the clear underdog three times, and the rest were rough coin flips with pocket pair vs. overcards (in which cases he had the slight edge with the pocket pair three times).

One could determine more carefully by computing the actual probabilities whether he actually won more than his fair share of these confrontations, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

While he may have played some hands in a way that might be either unconventional or somehow exploitable, his opponents failed to make the adjustments needed to counter him.

It's easy to be critical of someone from the comfort of your home, where you can quickly skim to see accurate chip counts or trends. But playing under the lights and pressure of the WSOP ME final table, for a substantial amount of money, after some pretty exhausting sessions, is another matter entirely.

Jerry seemed to handle himself well under the pressure. I personally thought he came off as a genuinely nice person on the interview, and think having him as the reigning ME champion is good for poker. It may help remove some of the negative perceptions and stereotypes associated with poker players, which is great. Also, the story of an inexperienced relative newcomer parlaying a satellite win into a huge score (especially considering Jerry was one of the few non-professionals at the final table) will hopefully attract many more people to the game.

A number of people were critical of him repeatedly mentioning god during his interviews. I personally have no issue with it. He didn't do it in an obtrusive "you'll all go to hell if you don't accept Jesus" kind of way. But he simply seemed humble and thankful to have good fortune on his side.

It's a refreshing change to have a poker player actually acknowledge providence rather than claiming that they only won because of their perfect play and skills.

So once again, congratulations to Jerry Yang! And good luck with your tenure as a poker ambassador.

tpir
07-18-2007, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But his prayers at the table for a specific card, or a miracle, were completely over the top and ridiculous, not to mention contrary to scripture.

[ QUOTE ]
But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'" Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I think it's safe to say that someone as dumb as Yang appeared to be has never actually read the Bible.... or any books really.

pacecar86
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
yes, congrats Jerry, at least u prolly didn't need body guards to follow u around

barrister
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations Jerry!

I am amazed by the amount of posters that would not know a good person if they were right in front of them. I think many people here would have given him more respect if he had said he was going to spend the money on hookers and blow.

Jerry surely isn't the best player in poker today, but he had a great run, and played well enough to make it through many many hours of poker and run over a final table. Give the man some respect.

BTW also as a conservative, I am glad for someone like Jerry repping that not all poker players are the degenerate gamblers with questionable moral taste and no family values. Those folks can dominate msg boards like this and give us all a bad name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Congrats Jerry!

AngusThermopyle
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you are miked, the whole poker world will hear your prayers and make fun of thee.

redCashion
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not religious at all, but don't have a problem with the way he is expressing himself. I think there is a big difference between a guy who is a believer and a guy who wants to make everyone else a believer, and he is obviously the former.

He seems like a nice humble guy, and I hate for another "bad player" to win the ME, but at least he isn't as douchey as the last one.

SuperUberBob
07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Jesus is just alright with me, jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright with me, jesus is just alright

I dont care what they may say
I dont care what they may do
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright

I dont care what they may know
I dont care where they may go

Jesus, hes my friend; jesus, hes my friend
He took me by the hand; led me far from this land
Jesus, hes my friend

I dont care what they may say, I dont care what they may do
I dont care what they may say, jesus is just alright, oh yeah

DrewDevil
07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
big titts are just alright with me,
big titts are just alright, oh yeah

[/ QUOTE ]

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I think it's safe to say that someone as dumb as Yang appeared to be has never actually read the Bible.... or any books really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he has a master's degree in psychology.

This is something very bizarre that was brought up in that final table thread. I can't see how there isn't a conflict there.

Chump Change
07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I dont care what they may do
Jesus is just alright

I dont care where they may go

Jesus, hes my friend; jesus, hes my friend
He took me by the hand; led me far from this land
Jesus, hes my friend

I dont care what they may say, I dont care what they may do
I dont care what they may say, jesus is just alright, oh yeah

[/ QUOTE ]

Pray - MC HAMMER

"That's word,we pray(pray,pray)
We got to pray
Just to make it today
I said we pray(pray) ah,yeah,pray(pray)
We got to pray
Just to make it to pray
That's word,we pray

All my life I wanted to make it to the top
(That's word,we pray)
Some said I wouldn't
They told me no,but I didn't stop
(That's word,we pray)
Working hard,making those movies everyday
(That's word,we pray)
And on my knees every night,you know I pray

That's word,we pray(pray)
Ah,yeah,pray(pray) we got to pray
Just to make it today
We got to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

Now I just think that you
Can do what ever you want
(That's word,we pray)
I'm bustin' these rhymes
Making this money and I won't
(That's word,we pray)
Forget my people or may town or my ways
(That's word,we pray)
And on my knees.every night I'm still gonna pray

Just to make it today
We got to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

Time and time and time and time again
(That's word,we pray)
I kept on knocking,but
These people wouldn't let me in
(That's word,we pray)
I tried and tried and tried and tried to make a way
(That's word,we pray)
But nothing happened till that day I prayed

Just to make it today
We got to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

Childrem dying,oh,so fast from this or that
(That's word,we pray)
Needing that money
Smoking that dope and doing that crack
(That's word,we pray)
Ten years old stand outside
Better look out
(That's word ,we pray)
Dead and gone,necer had a chance
What's it all about?

That's word,we pray(pray) ah,yeah,pray
We need to pray
Just to make it today
I need to pray(pray),ah,yeah,pray
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

That's word,we pray( x3)

We need to pray
Just to make it today
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

On a mission start to doubt.here we go
(That's word,we pray)
Kicking back,read these words we need to know
(That's word,we pray)
Living high,living good,living long
(That's word,we pray)
Take a minute,bust a prayer
And you're good to go

We need to pray
Just to make it today
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

We're sending this one out to the Lord
(That's word,we pray)
And we thank you and we know we need to pray
(That's word,we pray)
Cause all the blessings that are good they come from above
(That's word,we pray)
And once again we want
To say "thank you" to the Lord with all our love

We need to pray
Just to make it today
We need to pray
Just to make it today
That's word,we pray

That's word,we pray(pray,pray) (x4)
That's word,we pray"

benza13
07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
"I've seen the miracles of God with my own eyes," said the married father of six. "I did a lot of bluffing also."

Jesus.

You said it man, nobody [censored] with the Jesus.

SimonBarSinister
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations Jerry!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Congrats Jerry! God Bless You and Best of Luck to you and your family. You seem like a good man and I hope you accomplish everything you want. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sputum
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I like our new WSOP Champion! He will do just fine.

i am run
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
i thought only 1 player per hand... first chan and gold.. now yang and god.. ridiculous.

Ship Ship McGipp
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
i am very angry with this guy and i dislike his wife even more, i think he needs to buy his wife some english lessons with the money, and i think he's going to hell with all that blasphemy

renodoc
07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

mir·a·cle
–noun

Silly Christian...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's got my miracle? I need a miracle! Puppy for a ticket!

SonofDjugashvili
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Damn you haters! Now I realize why I lose all those 80-20's and 70-30's on PS. It's not the rigged flops, it's my lack of faith. I BELIEVE. Watch for me on the TLB.

luckbalks
07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought only 1 prayer per hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Congrats to this guy... I hated his guts until he started speaking after he won and my opinion instantly changed.

gumpzilla
07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am very angry with this guy and i dislike his wife even more, i think he needs to buy his wife some english lessons with the money, and i think he's going to hell with all that blasphemy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, first these dirty foreigners come over and steal our God, and then they steal our poker championship as well. GO HOME YANG! GO HOME!

fnurt
07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Yeah, no kidding. You know, if I'd gone from being a kid in a Thai refugee camp to living in America with EIGHT MILLION BUCKS I won in a poker tournament, you can bet your sweet ass I'd believe in God and be pretty f'in grateful to him.

Maybe some people think the guy's beliefs are a bunch of horsecrap. Who cares? He's not hurting anyone. If the worst thing that happens in the course of my day is that I have to listen to some guy praising Jesus a little too loudly, it wasn't a very bad day. For all anyone knows, you'd believe the exact same things if you had his life story instead of yours.

luckbalks
07-18-2007, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no kidding. You know, if I'd gone from being a kid in a Thai refugee camp to living in America with EIGHT MILLION BUCKS I won in a poker tournament, you can bet your sweet ass I'd believe in God and be pretty f'in grateful to him.

Maybe some people think the guy's beliefs are a bunch of horsecrap. Who cares? He's not hurting anyone. If the worst thing that happens in the course of my day is that I have to listen to some guy praising Jesus a little too loudly, it wasn't a very bad day. For all anyone knows, you'd believe the exact same things if you had his life story instead of yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen... err. I'm an atheist and still believe that this couldn't have happened to a better person. Religion works for some people and if it makes him out to be the grateful and generous person that he seems to be then more power to him.

MegaFossil
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I bet ESPN will really play up the near deaths in Thailand and refugee angles.

It also helps our cause a lot that a Christian is giving back so much to the community, which could help debunk the argument that gamblers just suck money out of the economy and don't do any good.

SonofDjugashvili
07-18-2007, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet ESPN will really play up the near deaths in Thailand and refugee angles.

It also helps our cause a lot that a Christian is giving back so much to the community, which could help debunk the argument that gamblers just suck money out of the economy and don't do any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly won't hurt the PPA to trot out Jerry as the face of poker. I was cheering for Alex, being Russian, but Jerry was the only one (well, Hilm too /images/graemlins/wink.gif) who had the guts and will to play that way, and whatever you think of his skill or lack thereof, the rest of the table were either idiots (Hilm, Watkinson) who made bad moves or nits who were playing to finish as high as possible. So, good on him. The praying put me off (no need to say it out loud), but as far as his play goes, if that was a "name" pro doing that, we'd all be siging his praises. In fact it looked like Jerry read Super System on the off-day. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

gisb0rne
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm pretty sure this guy had the cards run over him for 16 hours. Why? Nearly every time someone played back at him he had a hand. Get reraised with AQ? Oh I happen to have JJ. Get reraised on the final hand? Oh I happen to have 88 heads-up. Get check-raised on the turn? Oh I happend to have AK that hand with TPTK. Reraise the UTG raiser and BB 3-bets? QQ of course! I can't think of a single time where he bluffed other than some weak-sauce bet on the river when it got checked down.

You can't beat a guy who a) raises a ton of hands b) always has a better hand when you play back at him and c) always calls your reraises with those better hands.

I think he got more good hands than the rest of the table combined.

niin
07-18-2007, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My ? is how exactly did this monkey qualify?

[/ QUOTE ]

He qualified through a $200 buy-in tournament at Pechanga Indian Casino in California.

[ QUOTE ]
850k...PLEASE this crazy Asian is gonna dump 1.25 million minimum on the high limit Baccarat section at the Bellagio...

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt that.

MyTurn2Raise
07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure this guy had the cards run over him for 16 hours. Why? Nearly every time someone played back at him he had a hand. Get reraised with AQ? Oh I happen to have JJ. Get reraised on the final hand? Oh I happen to have 88 heads-up. Get check-raised on the turn? Oh I happend to have AK that hand with TPTK. Reraise the UTG raiser and BB 3-bets? QQ of course! I can't think of a single time where he bluffed other than some weak-sauce bet on the river when it got checked down.

You can't beat a guy who a) raises a ton of hands b) always has a better hand when you play back at him and c) always calls your reraises with those better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait until you see the telecast and see all the 24o and 27o steals

07-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Full Tilt Poker won the WSOP this year (with the help of Jerry Yang from Full Tilt Poker, and God). The three Stars players didn't make it, meaning one gets better at Full Tilt Poker, and God favors Full Tilt Poker.

Join the champions at Full Tilt Poker, at www.fulltiltpoker.net (http://www.fulltiltpoker.net) from where the champions come.

JayA
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Why all the hatred because he's religious...?

gumpzilla
07-18-2007, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored].

I feel like people need to try and make Yang look as bad as possible because they hadn't heard of him before the final table, and so he couldn't possibly have just actually played really [censored] well. He definitely made a couple of subpar decisions, but EVERYBODY at that table made a couple, as far as I could see. With his overall aggression once he grabbed the big stack, Yang played it in the balls-out aggressive style that seemed to be the favorite among 2+2 MTTers back when I read that forum a year ago, which makes me surprised that people are in such a hurry to say "LOLZ what a retard."

VictorOfAveyron
07-18-2007, 05:14 PM
No one there deserved to win better than Jerry Yang. He seems like a very good hearted person. I'm glad he won.

gisb0rne
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean pre-flop raises with 24o? Perhaps, but I doubt it. That doesn't change the fact that over half the time he was played back at he had a dominant or coinflip hand. Why do you think people weren't playing back at him? If he's raising with 24o every time then where are those hands when he gets reraised? Do they magically transform into JJ, QQ, AK, 88, A9, etc.? Or do you actually think that premium hands are more common than trash hands?

SonofDjugashvili
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one there deserved to win better than Jerry Yang. He seems like a very good hearted person. I'm glad he won.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT on the first part. I don't know about his heart, but he had the stones to sit at that table on TV with the least experience, and basically just announce "this here be mine".

AngusThermopyle
07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Before Hand #1:
Jerry Yang -8.45 million

After #11 (Childs lays down QQ)
Jerry Yang ~ 20 million

After Hand #14 (another raise post-flop wins $11M pot)
Jerry Yang ~ 25 million

After Hand #15 (Hilm knocked out)

Jerry Yang - 44.88 million

After Hand #21 (Watkinson knocked out)

Jerry Yang - 55.015 million

Yang goes from second shortest stack, about 6.5% of the chips in play to massive chip leader with 43% of the chips in 21 hands.

Don't care if you are "lucky", that is impressive.

revots33
07-18-2007, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why all the hatred because he's religious...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree, he's religious, so what? If he's a good person who wants to help others that's what's important.

But I think the main problem was his reaction during the Watkinson hand, where he did go a little over the top with the glorify your name bit. Especially since he's praying about a *poker tournament*. God might be a little busy these days with the war in Iraq, starving Africans, genocide, etc. it just seems a little self-centered to think the all-powerful creator of the universe cares whether you win a poker game or not.

But like I said, he's religious and he was excited. It didn't really bother me too much. I say GG Jerry and congrats.

DrewDevil
07-18-2007, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why all the hatred because he's openly praying for Jesus to perform a "miracle" and give him the correct card so he can win lots of money...?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine.

I have no problem with his faith, but his grandstanding display of his prayers and the ludicrousness of asking God to influence the outcome of a poker game really annoyed me.

Synergistic Explosions
07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I think JY was the perfect man to win this tournament and it couldn't have worked out better.

UATrewqaz
07-18-2007, 06:14 PM
In fairness to Yang, he did a very loud audible prayer once early in the final table. After that he was being quiet.

He expressed his thanks to God at the end much as many other competitors do, at the Super Bowl or whatever.

The guy seems geniuenly nice and unassuming and very gracious. He also happens to believe in God and legitimately thinks God helped him to win. While you can ridicule that if you want, he's no where near the douche class of a Jamie Gold.

Dynasty
07-18-2007, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure this guy had the cards run over him for 16 hours. Why? Nearly every time someone played back at him he had a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's raising with 24o every time then where are those hands when he gets reraised?

[/ QUOTE ]

He folded them either pre-flop or on the flop (for hands like 87s which missed). Yang lost plenty of hand where somebody played back at him.

gumpzilla
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

He folded them either pre-flop or on the flop (for hands like 87s which missed). Yang lost plenty of hand where somebody played back at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Besides, how many hands were there, actually, when somebody reraised Yang preflop? Seven or eight? He definitely mucked on a couple of those.

AngusThermopyle
07-18-2007, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fairness to Yang, he did a very loud audible prayer once early in the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even sure how loud it was.
Remember everyone was miked.
I recall someone here blasted Rahme for saying he folded an ace while action was still going on. But someone pointed out that he was all the way over with the spectators and could not be heard by the table.

DrewDevil
07-18-2007, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fairness to Yang, he did a very loud audible prayer once early in the final table. After that he was being quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically remember him doing it loudly on two different hands, and one was so over the top I almost threw up on myself.

And why does this not disgust you? Please read Matthew 6:6 and then respond.

[ QUOTE ]
He expressed his thanks to God at the end much as many other competitors do, at the Super Bowl or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I hate it when they do it too. Even when I was a devout Christian, I was smart enough to know that God does not influence the outcome of sporting events.

[ QUOTE ]
The guy seems geniuenly nice and unassuming and very gracious.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

[ QUOTE ]
He also happens to believe in God and legitimately thinks God helped him to win. While you can ridicule that if you want,

[/ QUOTE ]

He's entitled to believe whatever he wants. I think it's a stupid belief and I think it makes Christians look silly.

[ QUOTE ]
he's no where near the douche class of a Jamie Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

High praise indeed. Kobe isn't as big of a douchebag as OJ, so let's give him kudos.

I'll even give Yang the benefit of the doubt and concede that he is 100% genuine and not playing for the cameras, and his donation of winnings to charity is admirable.

But that doesn't mean his FT behavior wasn't ridiculous and annoying/insulting. And I would think Christians would agree with this.

Artsemis
07-18-2007, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/poker/2007-07-18-wsop-winner_N.htm

[/ QUOTE ]
"Oh my gosh, I was very excited," said the 5-foot-3 Yang

LOL THIS IS WORDED FUNNY

Artsemis
07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But that doesn't mean his FT behavior wasn't ridiculous and annoying/insulting. And I would think Christians would agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. =)

PokerEveryDay
07-18-2007, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

way to go freddy deeb

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Dynasty
07-18-2007, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

way to go freddy deeb

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

[/ QUOTE ]

The HORSE snobs aren't going to get what they want. The World Championship isn't going to be determined by 60% stud games which combined make up less than 10% of the games played.

Since just about everybody recognizes that you can't crown the best player in the game simply by playing a tournament, looking for the ideal tournament is silly.

The World Championship is about the history of the tournament and prestige that comes form winning it. The $10,000 WSOP no-limit hold 'em main event blows everything else away.

A couple years ago, some posters wanted to pretend the $25,000 WPT championship was the "real world championship". The HORSE snobs look just as foolish as the WPT fanboys did.

JayA
07-18-2007, 07:34 PM
In my opinion, when people thank God at the end of major sporting events, I think it's more along the lines of thanking God for giving them the ability to compete in whichever event it was: Super Bowl, WSOP, etc.

Pablo229
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, when people thank God at the end of major sporting events, I think it's more along the lines of thanking God for giving them the ability to compete in whichever event it was: Super Bowl, WSOP, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jerry was thanking God that he could see over the edge of the table and know what the hell was going on...

bobneptune
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
i like out new champ on a number of counts. first , his analysis of his own shortcomings in poker.

clearly, he made a conscious decision to play the way he did early. his analysis was he could not beat watkinson, hilm nor the russian playing post flop poker. he figured they would be looking to counterpunch and not get in too much trouble as deep as they were and let their skilzz take over later in the match. he assumed the other non pros would play tight early looking to move up the board. he figured they'd play gay poker early and he took the bull directly by the horns

he was 2nd shorty and decided to play straight maniac and try to steal a bunch of chips hoping to meet little resistence. he succeeded.

i'm a little surprised that decision was met with derision here. isn't that the 2+2 mantra: play to win, be aggressive, put the other guy to the test making the tough decisions ??? had a young 2+2 er done that the group would be orgasmic with praise as he was "runnin over and tilting the live pro's and old nits, etc". this laotian plays right out of the 2+2 playbook and he is somehow scorned ??? i don't get it.

his agreesion early won the 3 critical hands of the match for him. he got childs to fold QQ. he frustrated hilm and got him to move in as a 70-30 dog. hilm even basically said that in his interview, he wanted to put a stop to jerry. he got watkinson to move in unnecessarily with 26 bbs as a 2.5-1 dog the same way. now he was off to the races.

he continued to put pressure on all the time and wielded his big stack perfectly.

a look at his all in showdowns shows he got it in good most of the time , or had a tremendous stack advantage where it made sense to move it:

1...got in as a 70:30 fav vs hilm when the chips went it

2...got in as a 70:30 fav vs watkinson.

3... got lucky vs childs when childs only had 20% of his stack

4... got it in 57:43 vs rainkahn

5... got it in dominated aginst twice and on the short end of a flip vs the russian, but 2 of those 3 times he had 18 times and 10 times the russian's stack and are good moves according to harrington's flyswatting rule.

he picks up 1.3 million in cash by eliminating the russian on any of those 3 hands moving from 4th to 3rd.

6... got in 70:30 fav vs rahme and got sucked out on

7... eliminated rahme drawing to 2 outs when the chips got in after the flop

8... got it in with A9 v 43 vs lam and lost

9... got it in on the right side of a flip when the chips went in to win it all

maybe i'm nuts, but i thought he played pretty well and within his own skill set.

didn't brunson give props to chris fergurson for realizing his post flop shortcommings vs cloutier and adjusting to more push fold ??? isn't that what this fellow did ???

secondly, i like the guy from where he came from.

although i'm quite a secular guy, his praying at the table didn't offend my sensibilities one single iota. this is america, and it is certainly his perrogative to be religious if he cares to any way he cares to as long as he doesn't impinge on my freedoms. it's no different than religious latin players crossing themselves before the step to the plate. is god going to help the hit that braking ball ??? totally inocuous to me.

i like his life story very much. i was draft age during the viet nam war and let me tell you youngins little story about where this guys and his people came from.

during the vietnam war, the viet cong shipped most of their supplies to the south via the "ho chi mihn trail" that coursed down neutral laos and cambodia. the hmong tribesmen were citizens of laos. the american army wasn't supposed to cross into laos chacing the viet cong, so the cia got the idea of recruiting a proxy army to fight the VC going through laos. the cia recruited about 10,000 hmong tribesmen to fight the communists passing through laos and they did so with great valor. they interdicted thousands of tons of supplies, killed thouands of out enemies and thusly saved thousands of american casualties. the hmong have the eternal thanks of many of the american people.

needless to say, then the americans left southeast asia, the VC were none too pleased with the hmong, and brought their wrath upon those who weren't directly evacuated by the cia. slaughter, "re-education" camps, etc were the order of the day and it wasn't pretty.

many of the hmong tried to escape across the thai border: some made it... others died trying. the US government ended up taking about 180,000 hmong refugees from thailand and jerry and his parents and grandparents are from this group.

i think that success is, in and of itself a great story. a movie should be made about this guy's life.

and for those of you complaining the money is out of the "poker community" and 10% is going to charity, i'd rather see it in this guy's hands than going up mike matasow's nose or into the sport's book at caesars.

now , stepping down from soap box.

Mrnoluv
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
WORST FINAL TABLE IN HISTORY! Talk about no names, this is turning into the World Series of Who??? I only knew two names at the final table. The HORSE event is no doubt the more prestigous now, main event has turned into a forgettable event.

And what happened to all the young players, everyone at the final table except 1 player was over the age of 30, I thought poker had become a young man's game?

Uglyowl
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can't wait to see the ESPN telecast. That was a hell of a showing, he was very unpredictable and no one knew what the heck he had.

Congrats Jerry Yang.

lackofcorporate
07-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow, it's weird, but as a minority, I've noticed it's been a lot time since the Chans & Nguyens got a hold of the Finals Main Event.

My hats off to Yang.

SonofDjugashvili
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Great post bobneptune. If this was bond18 or nath playing like Jerry, this site would indeed be orgasmic. I am an atheist and have no need for Jerry's religious views, but give the man some credit - he played fearless power poker. Just because he's old, foreign and overtly religious is no reason to denigrate the fact that he TOOK that title.

Borgland
07-18-2007, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought only 1 player per hand... first chan and gold.. now yang and god.. ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

Congrats Jimmy. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hexadecimal
07-18-2007, 08:20 PM
If you're talking about the Judeo-Christian God, then there's no such thing as Him being too busy. I agree with your assessment that the outcome of a poker tournament is a bit trivial, but I have no problem with praying, particularly in a high-stress situation with people watching and money on the line. Praying for the emotional well-being to make good decisions, and be gracious in winning or losing is what I think would be good to pray for, IMHO.

THAY3R
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
No good MTT players have bashed Yang for his play. People who have are just retarded people who don't understand tournament poker. He may not be very good at poker, but Yang played the FT better than anyone else.(I've probably said this like 500 times)

thebeebster
07-18-2007, 08:28 PM
say what you want about his game, but this guy is a nice dude. and his stance that he'll be whereever he needs to be to help poker and poker players' rights is fantastic.

sdfsdf
07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, you think he had a good hand every single time he raised? we will see when we see the hole cards, and you're going to be wrong. projecting a maniac image but only going to showdown with good hands is called playing well.

anyways, i agree with what bobneptune said. his style may be -EV in cash games, but lots of successful tourney pros play the same way. if gun hanson was there instead of yang and played the same way yang did, then everyone would praise hanson as a genius.

StuckaRack
07-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Very nice and interesting post.

I am always turned off when people spout relegious beleifs in public, especially athletes who thank the Lord etc.. for enabling them to score the winning touchdown, but thats just me.
I like Jerry Yang and think he will be Great for Poker.

He has more universal appeal than some young internet hotshot or most name Pros. You think Humberto Brenes or Lee W. or Chad Brown would be better ?

If he gets out there and becomes the Poker Ambassador, people will love him, his story and who and what he is. This will give poker more credibility with anti-gamers and draw more mainstream people into poker.

Congrats Jerry Yang !!

Jasper109
07-18-2007, 08:51 PM
What if he would have been a Muslim and started praying to Allah for divine intervention, and had a picture of Osama Bin Laden as a card protector?

Just because N. American religious fanatics tend to be Christians doesn't make it any less asinine or insulting to sane human beings.

niin
07-18-2007, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if he would have been a Muslim and started praying to Allah for divine intervention, and had a picture of Osama Bin Laden as a card protector?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing his kids to the worlds #1 terrorist is a new low, even for 2+2.

It's easy to bash someone who's done better than you. Whatever makes you feel better. I know Jerry, and I know he's truly humble and worthly of winning. He's not the best poker player in the world; but he played the absolute best within his abilities, given the table conditions.

A previous poster is right. If this was a frequent 2+2'er who frequently posts his encounters with hookers and drugs after a big win, everyone would be having multiple orgasms at how he 'pwnd' the WSOP ME.

Jerry is one of the most unoffensive people I have ever met in my life; I've played with him many times, and spoke with him in length before the ME this year.

Congrats, Jerry! Well deserved, and earned.

remski
07-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Yang recalled growing up in Laos in meager circumstances.

"I lived in the mountains, very, very poor," he said. "I didn't own a ball or marbles. Whenever my parents killed a pig, we would use the bladders and blow it up and use it as a fell to play. That's how poor I was."

congrats Jerry, remarkable victory.

Jasper109
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy to bash someone who's done better than you. Whatever makes you feel better. I know Jerry, and I know he's truly humble and worthly of winning. He's not the best poker player in the world; but he played the absolute best within his abilities, given the table conditions.

A previous poster is right. If this was a frequent 2+2'er who frequently posts his encounters with hookers and drugs after a big win, everyone would be having multiple orgasms at how he 'pwnd' the WSOP ME.

Jerry is one of the most unoffensive people I have ever met in my life; I've played with him many times, and spoke with him in length before the ME this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying anything at all about his poker playing abilities. I thought he played very well.

What I'm saying is that it was offensive to me a sane human being that he was praying to "god" to win a poker hand in much the same way that others to their "god" for other events to occur.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but since religion is the biggest factor in creating the [censored] up world we live in, I am very offended when delusional people pray for things no matter how trivial those things may be.

niin
07-18-2007, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he's a great guy, but since religion is the biggest factor in creating the [censored] up world we live in, I am very offended when delusional people pray for things no matter how trivial those things may be.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, you compared a picture of his kids to a picture of Osama bin Laden. That's pretty low.

Plus, someone talking to themselves about their own religious beliefs is a far cry from someone strapping on a bomb and blowing themselves up based on their religious beliefs.

He uses his faith to relax himself; to 'give him strength' when he's in a stressful situation. It's the same as someone singing to themselves, biting their fingers, humming, playing with chips, drinking a beer, whatever. Personally, I'd rather have someone praying quietly to themselves than standing up at a table and shouting to the room how great of a player they are.

It wasn't like he was there saying "I'm going to win because God likes me better than you". I don't really even remember him saying (I'm probably wrong here) that he said or implied that God somehow 'made' him win. All I remember is him saying that God gave him strength to play and win.

Just so it is said, I'm a devout agnostic, and could care less if someone believes in a God, gods, talking goats, or whatever.

But in this case, Jerry's one of the most unassuming and humble winners I've seen. It's difficult for me to be offended by his personal faith. I've had many conversations with him, and he's never once pushed his faith on me. It is his, and his alone; verbalizing it quietly to himself is a far cry from terrorism, which you implied in your post.

Jasper109
07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, you compared a picture of his kids to a picture of Osama bin Laden. That's pretty low.

Plus, someone talking to themselves about their own religious beliefs is a far cry from someone strapping on a bomb and blowing themselves up based on their religious beliefs.

He uses his faith to relax himself; to 'give him strength' when he's in a stressful situation. It's the same as someone singing to themselves, biting their fingers, humming, playing with chips, drinking a beer, whatever. Personally, I'd rather have someone praying quietly to themselves than standing up at a table and shouting to the room how great of a player they are.

It wasn't like he was there saying "I'm going to win because God likes me better than you". I don't really even remember him saying (I'm probably wrong here) that he said or implied that God somehow 'made' him win. All I remember is him saying that God gave him strength to play and win.

Just so it is said, I'm a devout agnostic, and could care less if someone believes in a God, gods, talking goats, or whatever.

But in this case, Jerry's one of the most unassuming and humble winners I've seen. It's difficult for me to be offended by his personal faith. I've had many conversations with him, and he's never once pushed his faith on me. It is his, and his alone; verbalizing it quietly to himself is a far cry from terrorism, which you implied in your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentioning Bin Laden was definitely uncalled for, but I think it gives you an idea about how anything related to religion infuriates me.

I think you need to go back and check what he said last night, as it was way beyond him just praying to himself to relax.

Does he really believe that there is some "god" in the sky that determines who wins the main event of the WSOP? If so, it is very scary to me that he is raising 6 children and works as a psychologist.

At what point is all of this insanity going to stop? We're not living in the freaking 15th Century here.

dwedeking
07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
I've played with this guy a number of times at Pechanga. He's pretty down to earth and I've only seen him get peeved at another player one time. Usually he's pretty quiet so I've never heard the religion stuff until here. Anyway I think this is HUGE for poker as he's just a plain joe off the street which will connect with the other average joes and bring money to the table.

niin
07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've played with this guy a number of times at Pechanga. He's pretty down to earth and I've only seen him get peeved at another player one time. Usually he's pretty quiet so I've never heard the religion stuff until here. Anyway I think this is HUGE for poker as he's just a plain joe off the street which will connect with the other average joes and bring money to the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played with him quite a bit too, and have talked to him at length at the WSOP send-off party and other times (I won the similar tournament he won, back in September). He's one of the most unoffensive people I know. I've never heard him say anything bad towards anyone.

Hell, every time he got sucked out on last night, he'd shake the guys hand and say "Nice hand", and I'm certain it was sincere. Sure, he was disappointed to lose the hand, but he didn't hold any ill-feelings towards the player.

tpir
07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No good MTT players have bashed Yang for his play. People who have are just retarded people who don't understand tournament poker. He may not be very good at poker, but Yang played the FT better than anyone else.(I've probably said this like 500 times)

[/ QUOTE ]
I still don't understand what everyone else was doing. I am terrible at MTTs, so tell me, wouldn't you be looking to get involved in lots of small pots with Yang?

Also, nice avatar! 'cano ftw.

AngusThermopyle
07-18-2007, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I still don't understand what everyone else was doing. I am terrible at MTTs, so tell me, wouldn't you be looking to get involved in lots of small pots with Yang?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yang did not let them play "small pots"

tpir
07-18-2007, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For a while he didn't change his raise size, so eventually the blinds caught up to it and it wasn't that big. (I think this is hint #3 or 4 he didn't really know what he was doing)

Also, the other players didn't do themselves any small-pot-favors with their PF supersized blocking(?) bets.

LuckyTxGuy
07-18-2007, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

Oh and there is no such thing as a "new low" for a few of the folks here.

JennFox
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're religious yourself or how familiar you are with the bible, but the passages you chose to use here are taken completely out of context and do not mean what you think they mean.

Matthew 6:5-13
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9"This, then, is how you should pray:
" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.[a]' 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

These verses are discussing the sincerity of these prayers. The gospels in the new testament spend a lot of time discussing pharisees, hypocrites, tax collectors etc. People who pray to exaggerate their zeal. I don't think Jerry was showboating his Christianity. I think he was genuine in his prayers..

And Matthew 4:5-7 is known as "the temptation of Christ". Satan tempts Jesus after he has spent 40 days and nights fasting in the desert. This is where the classic line "Man does not live on bread alone" comes from. He is also tempted to turn stones to bread and to worship the devil in exchange for the earth. it has absolutely nothing to do with humans testing god.
In fact, in Judges 6, Gideon asks God to prove himself and his power before he agrees to lead Israel into battle. God agrees to do so not just once, but twice by Gideons request.

In 1 Kings 18, the prophet Elijah on Mount Carmel calls out the pagan prophets and challenges their god to the test. they each set up altars. the pagans call out to their god to send a sign, but nothing happens. when it was elijah's turn he called out to god. 1 Kings 18:36 "Answer me, oh Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, oh Lord, are God.." Then fire from heaven fell and burned Elijah's sacrifice, and the people fell down and worshiped.

Plus there are several passages that SUPPORT his audible prayer.

philippians 4:6 - be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto god.
psalm 55:17 - evening, and morning, and at noon, will i pray and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
james 5:13 - is any among you afflicted? let him pray. is any merry? let him sing psalms.
1 timothy 2:8 - i will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without anger or disputing.
1 thessalonians 5:17 - pray without ceasing.

I think its really irresponsible to attack someones religion incorrectly with their own religious tools. i dont think hes done anything wrong according to the bible. im not religious, but i was raised in a religious home. i dont see anything wrong with what he did from a christian point of view. (it doesnt matter that im not christian, so i miht have been slihtly annoyed.) i may not agree with what he did or said. it just annoys me to watch this guy get picked apart by idiots who throw around bible verses like their bumper stickers that can just be quoted willy nilly and mean nothing. gross. biblically, he has done nothing wrong. saying what he's done is wrong is really a difference in beliefs, not just a stance on his.

vixticator
07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Alex was the only one correctly adjusting to his play, and Tuan to a lesser degree (except head's up). Everyone else played like a donk against Jerry. You can't make moves against a station. I thought Jerry played well given his own image and the total inability for all but two people to make the correct adjustments.

THAY3R
07-18-2007, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For a while he didn't change his raise size, so eventually the blinds caught up to it and it wasn't that big. (I think this is hint #3 or 4 he didn't really know what he was doing)

[/ QUOTE ]

This just shows how powerful aggression is. We are taught to be aggressive, and this is why. I think it's pretty clear Yang wasn't a great, thinking poker player. But he made up his mind to just be aggressive(and maybe not totally understand why and the reasoning behind it), but it worked because it was the Main Event Final Table and everyone else was scared.

fnurt
07-18-2007, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mentioning Bin Laden was definitely uncalled for, but I think it gives you an idea about how anything related to religion infuriates me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, but I think it says more about you than about Yang. Why do his personal beliefs make any difference to you at all? It's not like he's the President or something and trying to force you to live by his holy book. Nor is he blowing people up in the name of his religion, so just leave the guy alone already.

Jasper109
07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not like he's the President or something

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you want to go there.

llleisure
07-19-2007, 02:45 AM
Until the end I sort of didn't like him either.

After he won and then spoke, I liked him. He seems like a genuine nice, humble, likeable guy. Yes, he happens to be pretty religious; there are certainly worse traits than that for the ME winner to have. If he really uses a lot of the money to help other people - and he seems the most likely of the bunch at the FT to do exactly that - then cool and good for pokers image overall. If he talks like that and then goes and dumps 4m playing baccarat, nobody could possibly be surprised.

He was a machine for 16 hours and that was impressive. While the other guys had their mood swings and did their talking and laughing at Yang, it didn't seem to affect him one bit. I don't think it was because he is an idiot either - he was just very focused and consistent and he ran the table at his own pace for the entire time which was something to see. The other players seemed to think he was a joke at first but hour after hour, the ones that he hadn't knocked out yet seemed to figure out he wasn't just a joke.

I think Yang will be good for poker.

Jasper109
07-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Tuan Lam was interviewed today on CTV and said that we would be going back to the village in Vietnam that he grew up in and helping out the people there.

He mentioned that most of the people there were unemployed and that some didn't have enough food to eat.

DrewDevil
07-19-2007, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're religious yourself or how familiar you are with the bible, but the passages you chose to use here are taken completely out of context and do not mean what you think they mean.

5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
12Forgive us our debts,
but deliver us from the evil one.[a]' 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

These verses are discussing the sincerity of these prayers. The gospels in the new testament spend a lot of time discussing pharisees, hypocrites, tax collectors etc. People who pray to exaggerate their zeal. I don't think Jerry was showboating his Christianity. I think he was genuine in his prayers..

And Matthew 4:5-7 is known as "the temptation of Christ". Satan tempts Jesus after he has spent 40 days and nights fasting in the desert. This is where the classic line "Man does not live on bread alone" comes from. He is also tempted to turn stones to bread and to worship the devil in exchange for the earth. it has absolutely nothing to do with humans testing god.
In fact, in Judges 6, Gideon asks God to prove himself and his power before he agrees to lead Israel into battle. God agrees to do so not just once, but twice by Gideons request.

In 1 Kings 18, the prophet Elijah on Mount Carmel calls out the pagan prophets and challenges their god to the test. they each set up altars. the pagans call out to their god to send a sign, but nothing happens. when it was elijah's turn he called out to god. 1 Kings 18:36 "Answer me, oh Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, oh Lord, are God.." Then fire from heaven fell and burned Elijah's sacrifice, and the people fell down and worshiped.

philippians 4:6 - be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto god.
psalm 55:17 - evening, and morning, and at noon, will i pray and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
james 5:13 - is any among you afflicted? let him pray. is any merry? let him sing psalms.
1 timothy 2:8 - i will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without anger or disputing.

I think its really irresponsible to attack someones religion incorrectly with their own religious tools. i dont think hes done anything wrong according to the bible. im not religious, but i was raised in a religious home. i dont see anything wrong with what he did from a christian point of view. (it doesnt matter that im not christian, so i miht have been slihtly annoyed.) i may not agree with what he did or said. it just annoys me to watch this guy get picked apart by idiots who throw around bible verses like their bumper stickers that can just be quoted willy nilly and mean nothing. gross. biblically, he has done nothing wrong. saying what he's done is wrong is really a difference in beliefs, not just a stance on his.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a devout Christian until I was 30 years old.

You may be correct about the passage regarding Satan's temptation of Jesus, but throughout my scriptural upbringing, I heard this verse over and over again as an example of why it was wrong to ask God for a specific miracle or to "bargain" with God, e.g., "help me win this hand and I will glorify your name."

However, while of course different people have different interpretations of Scripture, your argument that Matthew 6:6 and surrounding verses has nothing to do with public, ostentatious prayer is ludicrous. Please read it again. While you've referenced passages that tend to support prayer, I don't think most of them encourage public loud prayers of the grandstand variety like Yang displayed.

However, Matthew 6:6 CLEARLY disapproves of audible, grandstanding public prayer like what Yang did. I mean, seriously, read it again and then tell me again that it doesn't mean something like, oh, I don't know, "go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret..."

I am not sure why you think I am an "idiot," as I was simply pointing out that Yang was acting in a way contrary to his own professed belief system. So it annoyed me not only as a normal everyday person, but also as a former devout Christian. It also annoys me when people bend over backwards to defend the actions of self-professed Christians even when they are obviously contravening Scripture, even for the best intentions. We all know what road that leads to.

Question: did you think Jerry Falwell was a good man, or a scumbag? Your answer will be telling.

Cat
07-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Vnh bobneptune /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brad1970
07-19-2007, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

" 'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
12Forgive us our debts,

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a devout Christian until I was 30 years old.

You may be correct about the passage regarding Satan's temptation of Jesus, but throughout my scriptural upbringing, I heard this verse over and over again as an example of why it was wrong to ask God for a specific miracle or to "bargain" with God, e.g., "help me win this hand and I will glorify your name."

However, while of course different people have different interpretations of Scripture, your argument that Matthew 6:6 and surrounding verses has nothing to do with public, ostentatious prayer is ludicrous. Please read it again. While you've referenced passages that tend to support prayer, I don't think most of them encourage public loud prayers of the grandstand variety like Yang displayed.

However, Matthew 6:6 CLEARLY disapproves of audible, grandstanding public prayer like what Yang did. I mean, seriously, read it again and then tell me again that it doesn't mean something like, oh, I don't know, "go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret..."

I am not sure why you think I am an "idiot," as I was simply pointing out that Yang was acting in a way contrary to his own professed belief system. So it annoyed me not only as a normal everyday person, but also as a former devout Christian. It also annoys me when people bend over backwards to defend the actions of self-professed Christians even when they are obviously contravening Scripture, even for the best intentions. We all know what road that leads to.

Question: did you think Jerry Falwell was a good man, or a scumbag? Your answer will be telling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you were so devout until 30, what made you become un-devout?

tpir
07-19-2007, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This just shows how powerful aggression is. We are taught to be aggressive, and this is why. I think it's pretty clear Yang wasn't a great, thinking poker player. But he made up his mind to just be aggressive(and maybe not totally understand why and the reasoning behind it), but it worked because it was the Main Event Final Table and everyone else was scared.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, no doubt. I did not meant to imply he played horribly. He was willing to put a lot of chips in the pot and he got the job done.

tpir
07-19-2007, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he realized that picking and choosing items of dubious veracity out of a very old book written by uneducated people and then trying to organize your life around them was a waste of time?

gsqwared
07-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Jerry Yang Loves His Hugs (http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/gsqwared/?action=view&current=20de9209.flv)

DrewDevil
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, there were lots of reasons. I don't really feel like hijacking the hijack.

JennFox
07-19-2007, 02:05 PM
i studied the bible for 18 years. i am extremely familiar with this particular passage. IT IS THE LORDS PRAYER AND REFERS ONLY TO THE SINCERITY OF PRAYER. anyone who thinks matthew 6:6 is talking about discouraging christians who pray outloud in public sincerely to their god is a [censored] MORON. you dont know the bible at all if you think this. matthew 6:6 says to not show off as a christian to other christians. it talks about pharisees and elders pretending to be devout to show off their "holiness" during a time when everyone was "holy". kinda like "watch me pray, see how devout i am?! see everyone??!!" thats not at all what jerry yang was doing. HE WAS SINCERE. im sorry you don't understand. please stop using the bible as a reference.

DrewDevil
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I studied the Bible for 24 years, I win.

Would Christ approve of your profanity and name-calling?

And how exactly do you know he was SINCERE and not showing off?

And please tell me if you think this analysis is made by a [censored] MORON:

[ QUOTE ]
What the Christian Scriptures say about public prayer:
The author of the Gospel of Matthew contrasted public and private prayer. He recorded Jesus as saying:

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

The reference to go into thy closet has been translated in other versions of the Bible as "go into your inner room." "go away by yourself," "all alone," "your [most] private room," "enter into thy chamber," and "go into your room."

Two of the largest Jewish religious movements in 1st century Palestine were the Pharisees and Sadducees. Jesus is recorded as having repeatedly criticized both - often with rather hateful and vicious language. Much of Jesus' anger may have been motivated their prayer methods which were very public.

Many liberal Christians interpret Matthew 6:6 literally. Jesus believed that prayers are to be an intensely personal event between a person and God; no one else should be present. Prayer to him was a private matter. Jesus condemns prayers in situations where other people are present. For example: In religious settings like churches or synagogues,
In a private or public school,
In a legislature or municipal government meeting, or
In the street or other public place.

Most conservative Christians tend to downplay Jesus' instruction about the importance of going off by oneself and pray alone and in secret. After all, if public prayer is not permitted, then just about every Christian service is seriously in error, with the possible exception of some by the Society of Friends (Quakers). Conservatives interpret Matthew 6:5 as not condemning public prayer. Rather, it criticizes only that prayer in public that is motivated by a desire to show off. Prayer "may be offered in any circumstances, however open, if not promoted by the spirit of ostentation..." 1

Some commentaries on these passages are:

The Interpreter's One Volume Commentary on the Bible 2 states, with reference to Matt. 6:6 that: "...prayer and fasting are to be purely private acts involving only God and the penitent one."
Matthew Henry's Commentary 3 states: "Instead of praying in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, enter into thy closet, into some place of privacy and retirement. Isaac went into the field..., Christ to a mountain, Peter to a housetop."
Asimov's Guide to the Bible 4 states: "Jesus....decries giving alms openly, praying in public...Jesus points out that if it is human acclaim that is wanted, then...that is all the reward that is likely to come."

What Jesus did in public instead of praying:
The feeding of 5,000 men, their wives and children by Jesus is reported in all four gospels: Matthew 14:13-23, Mark 6:32-46, Luke 9:10-18, and John 6:1-15. Jesus is recorded as performing a miracle, by feeding a crowd which probably totaled 15,000 adults and children with only 5 loaves and two fish. The practice of a communal meal was one of the features of his ministry and of the early Christian church. During and following this miracle, Jesus appears to have been moved to thank God for the food and later to pray to God.

It is notable that he blessed the food in public. All four of the canonic Gospels describe this event. In chronological order:

Mark 6:41: "And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all."
Matthew 14:19: "...took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude." (KJV)
Luke 9:16: "Then he took the five loaves and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed them, and brake, and gave to the disciples to set before the multitude."
John 6:11: "And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would."

In a similar manner, there is a another passage in the Gospel of John in which Jesus is recorded as having given thanks to God. This is in John 11:30-45 when Jesus is said to have raised Lazarus from the dead:

John 11:41b to 42: Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me."

But then Jesus wanted to pray. So, he went off by himself to pray in private. All four gospel writers emphasize that he prayed alone:

Mark 6:46: "And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray."
Matthew 14:23: "And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone." (KJV)
Luke 9:18: "And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him..."
John 6:15: "...he departed again into a mountain himself alone."

Jesus' message, displayed by his actions, appears to be that it is acceptable, perhaps even desirable to give thanks to God at important occasions. But prayer -- communion with God -- is to be performed privately, in complete isolation from other persons.

How did Jesus Pray:
The Gospels contain many references to Jesus praying, including:

Matthew 14:23: Jesus went up on the mountain by himself to pray.
Matthew 26:36-44: Jesus went with three disciples, left them behind and went further to pray alone. This is the well known passage in which his disciples fell asleep at Gethsemane, just before Jesus' arrest and execution.
Mark 1:35: Jesus is went to a solitary place to pray.
Luke 3:21: This passage describes how Jesus was baptized and was in prayer when the Holy Ghost descended. Unfortunately, this passage does not describe how and where Jesus was praying.
Luke 5:16: Jesus is described as often going to lonely places to pray by himself
Luke 6:12: Jesus withdrew to a mountainside to pray. Verse 13 implies that he was alone at the time.
Luke 9:19: Jesus was praying alone, with his disciples in the vicinity.
Luke 22:41-43: Jesus withdrew from his disciples "about a stone's throw" to pray by himself.
John 16, 17: These chapters are ambiguous about the circumstances of Jesus' prayer just before his arrest. He first talked to his disciples; then he prayed, then he went with his disciples across the Kidron valley. It is not clear where the disciples were situated when Jesus prayed. But if he was consistent with the pattern described in other passages, he would have left the disciples behind, and prayed in private.

It would appear that Jesus engaged in private prayer, away from other people. His actions might be interpreted as showing his disapproval of public prayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Public Prayer and the Bible (http://www.religioustolerance.org/prayer.htm)

Brad1970
07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
The definition of an oxymoron: Two confessed non-believers arguing over who knows Biblical scripture better.

Brad1970
07-19-2007, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you really don't have a reason.

DrewDevil
07-19-2007, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If believing that makes you feel better, go for it.

And I never said I wasn't a believer, just not devout.

Jasper109
07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a brain?

Brad1970
07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If believing that makes you feel better, go for it.

And I never said I wasn't a believer, just not devout.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're a true believer, you wouldn't have the attitude you are portraying.

JennFox
07-19-2007, 02:54 PM
did you study how to take verses out of context? because you do that surprisingly well. you musta been in a coma for 22 of the 24 yrs.

also, i am not christian, which you still seem to be confused about given your criticism of my "profanity". but thanks for tying to put me in my religious place. you failed.

and again, i dont KNOW he was sincere any more than you KNOW he wasn't. so go suck a nut you silly pseudo scholar. yeah i still think youre a [censored] moron. * notice repeat of name calling and profanity.*

JennFox
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
also, for someone who studied the bible 6 years longer than i did... you are a [censored] moron to think that the god of the christian bible would ever discourage sincere prayer from any of his worshippers. EVER. ANYWHERE. you are flat out [censored] stupid.

also- jesus was the son of the god, it makes sense for him to need to be slightly more private. since he is after all praying to his father in heaven, right?

THERE ARE SEVERAL EXAMPLES IN THE BIBLE OF FOLLOWERS CALLING ON GOD PUBLICALLY FOR HELP AND HIM RESPONDING. WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT??

AngusThermopyle
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Can you two take this to another thread/forum?

JennFox
07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Asimov's Guide to the Bible 4 states: "Jesus....decries giving alms openly, praying in public...Jesus points out that if it is human acclaim that is wanted, then...that is all the reward that is likely to come."

[/ QUOTE ]

do you not see that this is exactly my point? yang was not expecting any kind of acclaim from praying out loud. in fact, he probably knew people were going to give him a hard time about it. so what reward was he seeking? what acclaim was he trying to get by praying out loud? that fact that no acclaim existed to be garnered proves that the need to pray in private to avoid human praise for praying was unneccesary. do you see why this verse doesn't apply now? its talking about a completely different situation.

you're wrong. bottom line. im out.

DrewDevil
07-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Nuh-uh, YOU'RE wrong, AND you're a girl. Nanner nanner.

Seacrest out.

JennFox
07-19-2007, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AND you're a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

burn!! lol

Kevroc
07-20-2007, 02:54 AM
http://plusev.net/comics/plusev20070629.gif

BigSlick75093
07-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Excellent post. I couldn't agree more. And when he lost that hand to the Russian, he paid the Russion with his own chips!