PDA

View Full Version : NL50 - Bluffing the river vs. weak player

Burdzthewurd
07-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Villain was a shortstacker who managed to double through a few times vs. a maniac at the table. The only times he went to showdown was versus said maniac, and he was quite aggressive postflop with top pair good kicker or top pair/draw, but other than those pots, he had been limping in EP often and not very aggressive otherwise.

I had been playing tight, not really picking up any hands, and only went to showdown once when my KK got busted by a shortstacker's 67 when he check/raised the flop with bottom pair and slammed trips on the turn.

UTG limps, Villain ($30) limps, I limp on the Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gif ($48), SB completes, BB checks

Flop A/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Villain minbets, I call, others fold.

Turn K/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Villain bets $1, I call

River 8/images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain takes 2 seconds and bets $1, I make it $3.75, Villain...

I guess what I'm wondering is if it's ok to raise here once in awhile to get someone off top pair weak kicker, or if this is more often than not your typical "milk bettor", where he just makes weak bets with two pair or better. In my defense, I'd probably play JT just like this as well /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jessyj07
07-18-2007, 02:17 AM
I dislike the river bluff...what are you repping? JT made a straight on the turn and likely raises there. I don't like it against people who can't form hand ranges and only see their cards as weak as they may be. Preflop is beyond gross IMO.

edit: I forgot you had 2nd pair, this may indeed be a value raise /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. With showdown value here I like calling because you may be ahead and he's not folding if he's ahead.

ajmargarine
07-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Raise preflop. As played, call river. Not raising the turn with JT would be criminal.

gimmetheloot
07-18-2007, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop. As played, call river. Not raising the turn with JT would be criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is money.

Burdzthewurd
07-18-2007, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? With that kind of flop and turn, raising would really look like JT if I was in Villain's spot IF I had Broadway.

Anywho, he typed in the chatbox "A2 no good?", took his max timebank and mucked. I find it hard to believe there's value in calling the river with 2nd pair ok kicker here to someone leading all the way when all I beat is like, a Queen with busted diamonds.

gimmetheloot
07-18-2007, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? With that kind of flop and turn, raising would really look like JT if I was in Villain's spot IF I had Broadway.

Anywho, he typed in the chatbox "A2 no good?", took his max timebank and mucked. I find it hard to believe there's value in calling the river with 2nd pair ok kicker here to someone leading all the way when all I beat is like, a Queen with busted diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah and what does your hand look like?

it looks like some awful busted diamonds bluff, or A8.

what if you cold call here with JT on the turn and a diamond rolls off killing a) your hand or b) your action?

raising turn with JT here is a MUST.

Also, his hand is often a Q squeezing value given your line.
fwiw, I snap call you as villain...