PDA

View Full Version : WTF does this donk bet mean

robinmbuk
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
NL25 4 handed
Hero($25, UTG) - Been raising a fair amount from the btn, but not excessively. Think this is my first UTG raise, about 20 hands into the session.

Villian(BB, $17) - Unknown, seems reasonably loose but not a station by any means. Haven't seen him do anything noteworthy.

Hero raises to $1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif, fold to villian who calls.

Flop, 2 players, $2: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
Villian checks, Hero bets $1.8, Villian calls

Turn, 2 players, $5.6: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Villian donks $2, Hero...

The flop is the type that gives high suited connectors that villian could well be playing some kind of hand / draw (T9, JT, 87), but most of the hands in this range contain a T which I hold, so I feel cbetting this flop is easy, and I have the best hand here the majority of the time I think.

When the tiny donk bet comes I don't feel beat, but it did through me a bit. This is not a scare card so such a weak bet makes no sense in terms of being a bluff. I didn;t think of this at the time but could this be a hand like A/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif that has just gained loads of outs and wants to draw cheaply.

I cant find a fold here but does anyone raise this? I felt like this was a WA/WB situation so a call would be good, but now thinking about it this could be a pair / float that just picked up a flush draw, so a raise might be good?

It seems wrong raising the turn with a hand beaten by top pair, but I do feel like I'm ahead here so is this the correct thing to do?

TheRenaissance
07-17-2007, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems wrong raising the turn with a hand beaten by top pair, but I do feel like I'm ahead here so is this the correct thing to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just call and reevaluate river. IF he is on a draw, no matter how big, he is still well behind one pair.

ocdscale
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just call and reevaluate river. IF he is on a draw, no matter how big, he is still well behind one pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some terminology, 12 outs is not "well behind." Typically well behind/well ahead (wa/wb) is reserved for situations where villain either has <5 outs or you have <5 outs.

For instance:
You raise preflop with KK, villain calls.
Board is A 8 2 rainbow.
This is a wa/wb situation because if you're behind, you're likely well behind (drawing to two outs). If you're ahead, villain is likely drawing to 5 outs at best or needs runner/runner.

In these situations you generally want to tone down your aggression because only the hands that dominate you are going to call while you end up folding the weaker hands (which have little hope of out drawing you) that might put money in if checked to.

OP's hand is not wa/wb. Depending on villain, I'd either raise the turn as a bluff (if he calls, I check behind river, or fold if bet into again) or.. I don't know.
Villain's line is a weak Q a lot of the time (Qxs, QT, etc), but may also be a blocker bet with A9s (as you said) trying to draw cheaply.

07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I agree with therenaissance, just call and reevaluate river. Looks like a draw, but I don`t like betting since we don`t stand a raise. If a blank hits, let him bluff the river. If he checks I value bet.

robinmbuk
07-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Well I din't think about a draw till after the hand, at the time I put villian on air or a queen, so thought it was WA / WB.

TheRenaissance
07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some terminology, 12 outs is not "well behind." Typically well behind/well ahead (wa/wb) is reserved for situations where villain either has <5 outs or you have <5 outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was WAY ahead/way behind /images/graemlins/grin.gif
[/nittiness]
I didnt mean to say that this was a wa/wb situation, which it clearly isnt. Poor choice of words, sorry. I just meant that hero is "quite a bit ahead" on the turn, with 70-80% equity against draws.