PDA

View Full Version : Cash game with Maniacs (but not your typical type)

Capone
07-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I was at a cash game last night, and I was facing 2 players who were just calling and raising with just about everything.

But the thing is there not donks there world class LAGS, they were in the WSOP and everything. I really didn't know how to adjust to them because they would push one hand and show a bluff. THen they would make the exxact same line with the nuts. The reason they were playing so crazy is because it was only 5/5 NL and they didnt really care for $500 supposidly.

Any help would be great. I was just nutpeddeling basically, tightened up a lot but then they just folded when I raised.

HojoMofo
07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
go passive and let them try to bluff you off strong holdings, and use better game selection. Also I think this is wrong forum.

kazana
07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
If you're outclassed, be glad that you've recognized that, and give up your seat.

If you insist on continuing to play (and probably losing money), then at least use your image (tight, nitty) to work for you, and raise them with pure bluffs - but not very often, only once in a while. Do not show your bluffs.

Capone
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Its not that I'm outclassed its just that I haven't seen many players who play like that because they don't care about money.

kazana
07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
If I don't know how to adjust to a player, then I'm usually assuming that I'm outclassed.
And seeing that you're asking for advice on how to play such players, it sure looks as if you were, too.

Capitan23
07-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Tightening up is a start, but smart LAG players will read you like a book when you have a hand. Heres what you do, raise preflop with a wider range of hands and play them aggressively as if you were playing heads up poker. Slow play big hands, and play marginal hands aggressively always raising.

kazana
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tightening up is a start, but smart LAG players will read you like a book when you have a hand. Heres what you do, raise preflop with a wider range of hands and play them aggressively as if you were playing heads up poker. Slow play big hands, and play marginal hands aggressively always raising.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty bad advice.

For starters, it's exactly what they want you to do: Raise more crappy hands and take them to the felt. They want you to play a different game than your "standard game" because you most likely will suck at it.

Any smart player (whether LAG or TAG or whatever) will notice that you've changed your raising and post flop behavior and then readjust. And then they're back at reading you like a book again.

Think small changes. Change your game subtly so that they still think you're playing nitty, give your raises a lot of respect. But in the mean time you're stealing a few pots on the side that make up for (at least some of) those times you have to give up a possible best hand.