PDA

View Full Version : Getting killed with my overpairs, need advice

Damani311
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Since I just lost 4 decent size pots in one session with all varieties of overpairs, I figured I should make a post outlining my problem it either happens like this, where I get pressured from a smoothcaller after the draw hits, or i just get pressure from the smoothcaller on the river after they called the whole time, so they obviously have something better than top pair...any advice to help me lose less?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

SB ($30.05)
Hero ($24.50)
UTG ($9.80)
UTG+1 ($13.15)
MP1 ($19.15)
MP2 ($14.65)
CO ($10.90)
Button ($25.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50, UTG folds.

Flop: ($2.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, CO calls $1, SB folds.

Normally I raise PF with JJ, but here with no position and callers already I take the flop...
Turn: ($4.50) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

River: ($12.50) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $12.50

EscapePlan9
07-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Definitely squeeze-raising pre-flop. Make it like $4. Then lead 2/3 pot on most flops.

Flop/Turn: If you're going to lead bet, don't weak lead - you didn't even bet half the pot! Turn... you're beat like 90% of the time here.

housefish17
07-16-2007, 07:16 PM
One thing that sticks out to me is your letting villain draw cheap. From the button I think you have to reraise this to push him out of the pot right now. You will be acting first in all upcoming rounds, and the villains hand range from LP is generally a lot weaker than UTG or MP. More than likely you have the better hand

On the flop, I think with an overpair to a 2 to the flush on the board, I bet at least pot sized here. Even if he calls with a flush draw, he will be the one making the mistake, not you.

On the turn, I like to put out a half pot feeler, if he calls, I'm done betting this hand, as villan can be playing anything from 56-67 to any two diamonds. If he had a 6, he may be raising on the turn to try to push you off any potential flush draws that he may now be worried about. After his reraise, I would fold.

If I'm wrong, please correct me

ajml
07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
As played fold turn.... but sorry man this is donkish on every single street. You have to 3-bet this preflop, this will make every street play differently but basically 3-bet preflop, c-bet flop.

robinmbuk
07-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Villain has 40BB, so am willing to get allin pf vs him with JJ. To this end I 3 bet pf to $3 and call shove. If he smooth calls and I get the flop you have, I shove (I am assuming here SB would fold due to the 3 bet). As played a pot flop and prob call shove. If villian smooth calls flop I'd check that turn, and cry if he shoved because he would only have 1 psb left, but i'd prob let it go.

Kasane
07-16-2007, 08:57 PM
This is soooo bad on so many levels. Gotta hurt ya to help ya.

RR pf. Your hand is usually ahead and JJ is a horrible hand to play multiway. The "callers already" and oop is a good hunk of the reason you want to raise.

Flop: Don't donk small ever, especially in a pot like this where you have no idea where you are.

Turn bet's too small too. Not sure what I'd do there, but then, we shouldn't be here in the first place.

Oh, and tell the floor that there are too many people on your 6max table.

Lego05
07-16-2007, 09:01 PM
You have to reraise pre-flop and it'll play so different.

If you're going to lead the flop it is to be a bigger bet.

You have to fold the turn.

MrPoPo
07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally I raise PF with JJ, but here with no position and callers already I take the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you got it backwards here...you want to RR BECAUSE you are out of position and you want to get it heads up. Now you have the power on the flop. You can bet at the board since you represent a very strong hand and if you were being played you can take it down. And, of course, raise more on the flop

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4_2_it
07-16-2007, 09:44 PM
JJ is teh suck in a 4-way pot. Re-raise pre-flop and then the hand plays much easier.

wikemang
07-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Reraise preflop to 3-4 with the intention of calling a shove from CO. 2/3 - full pot on the flop to charge draws.

As played, turn is a fold.