PDA

View Full Version : Playing 200BB deep - Question about PF raising

Spurious
07-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Why shouldn't I raise like 6BB + BB/Limper in a 200BB deep game?
There are a lot of smaller stacks playing. They fold a lot on the flop to cbets. I wanna put more pressure on them.
What are the big disadvantages?

rjacobs003
07-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Smaller stakes or smaller stacks? If everyone's deep and it's just a case of having some normally smaller stakes players in the game then I'm all for it as big bets would probably fold them more easily. If the stacks are smaller though, I think the problem with bigger bets (not only preflop but in general) is that you're probably more inclined to see them push as they're now getting better implied odds.

Arctic
07-16-2007, 11:11 AM
When you find players that call huge bets preflop loosely and fold to cbets too often even from position, I think you can and you should raise more to abuse this.
Those players are easy money.

Raising something like 6bb with big pairs etc might get you stacked pretty easily when you end up playing against a flopped set/2 pair. Personally I love calling relatively big preflop bets with pocket pairs. If the pot is 15bb on the flop and I hit my set, my chances of stacking the villain is alot better than being on the flop with 8BB pot.

just my 2 cents...

corsakh
07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
By raising 6 instead of 4 you just effectively reduce your stack from 200BB to like 130BB.

Antinome
07-16-2007, 11:57 AM
A 4BB raise is sized to win 1-1/2BB, it isn't arbitrary. If You are only called 1/2.6 times, you profit immediately. With a 6BB raise, you need to be called less that 1/4 times to show an immediate profit. How often do the blinds call? well, at our loose uNL games it is definitely closer to 1/2 times than 1/4 times.

Obviously poker isn't a single street game, but if you can make it independently profitable, or as independently profitable as possible on every street you are going to be good.

07-16-2007, 01:47 PM
just keep raising normaly. Suited connectors and small/medium pocket pairs go up in value. Top pair hands go down in value, unless they are suited.

Bantam222
07-16-2007, 03:29 PM
I like to play about 60/40 in shorthanded deap stack games

Kasane
07-16-2007, 04:48 PM
It all depends on where the big stacks are and how likely I'm going to be playing them. If they're super tight and don't adjust to having 200bb, I keep my pf raise the same. If everyone has 200bb, gotta raise the pf standard to more. If there's one other stack in that has 200BB, it depends on if he has position and how many left to call. If I'm UTG, and there are 5 players to call, and the big stack has position on my (say he's button) I'm okay with 4bb. If I'm CO, and three left BB has postion on button, I think I have to go 6bb (iffy). I'm button, and other big stack has bb -- again, bigger. If he's SB and BB has normal stack, 4bb is fine.

Average out your opponents' stacks and always think of how you can control pot size post flop with position.