PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I didn't just check behind with an overpair....

Harv72b
01-05-2006, 12:53 AM
The table pretty much reeks, but I haven't managed to get a seat on anything better yet so I'm soldiering on. The TAG nature of the table as a whole (17/9) plus a run of bad & borderline starting hands have me playing tighter than...I dunno, something really tight. Villain is pretty well unknown but has played less than 20% of his first 20 hands. I guess I figured that since there were no draws present on this board I couldn't possibly be hurt by the river card, and I was all skeered of getting check/raised by a jack...

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks...

Brilliant application of the WA/WB principle, or just plain stupid?

IronDragon1
01-05-2006, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
plus a run of bad starting hands have me playing tighter than...I dunno, something really tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have your answer here.

And FWIW I bet the turn

cantsitstillbr
01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
You have to know that this check is bad. Take a break for a while or drop down in stakes.

hero
01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Flush draws, any tens, KQ, 89 and underpairs 55/77/88 are all calling your turn bet. I like the thought process behind it esp noting the reads but I'd still bet this. The interesting question this creates is whether to call a turn c/r. Tricky villians would semibluff c/r representing the J with a fd or solid T. Even tho im a betting advocate, given how you played the turn, the river's a bet-call, but if he checks to you, i assume you're betting?

QTip
01-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah....bad time for this.

private joker
01-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Bet and call down a checkraise. I've been at your table quite a bit the past few days, and you've been very timid from what I observed. You're thinking too much because you're a strong player and forgetting how easy-soft the Party 5/10 is. Take a couple days off and play ABC SSHE with confidence. You're a significant winner at this level.

Harv72b
01-05-2006, 04:55 AM
I think you're dead on here, Joker. I suffered my first significant downswing in several months to start the new year off, and all those suckouts obviously took their toll. I'm not gonna take a break, though...even as poorly as I've played at times, I've still won back that downswing in a couple of days and am now sitting at a beautiful +0.25 BBs for 2006. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This hand (along with one that I mentioned to Q-Tip) was kind of like a "wtf?" moment for me. I'll be back at it tomorrow nite &amp; hopefully playing a bit better now that I don't have -170 BBs staring me in the face.

If anyone's curious, the river was a Q and the BB check/called with a Td6d. I have a hunch that I was only getting 1 BB out of him either way I played it, unless he did try a turn c/r to represent the jack (or failed to note that his 3 pair wasn't so strong).

toss
01-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Come on bet theres a few draws villain could have and you want to value bet.

Getting checkraised sucks, but I call down just because I want to see how he defends his blind.

Elevens
01-05-2006, 12:25 PM
The only value I see in checking the turn is inducing a bluff on the river. However, if Villian was in calldown mode anyway, I'm not sure if this gains or loses anything.