PDA

View Full Version : 50nl - Top pair in 3bet pot, facing overbet shove on river

pepper123
07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Villain is like 24/14. The other 2 at the table are both like 50/30. The hand before this one UTG (BB in this hand) opened, villain called, I 3bet with AA from the SB and they both folded. Other than that I don't have any real history with this villain.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

SB: $75.25
BB: $112.55
UTG: $57.65
Hero (BTN): $63.15

Preflop: Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $2.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.50</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls $5.50

Flop: ($15.75) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($15.75) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $8.50</font>, Hero calls $8.50

River: ($32.75) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets all-in for $41.65</font>

boycalledroy
07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Why the hell are you checking that flop?

Bet about $9 into that flop and you can run off if raised. As the hand is played you have to call that river. Simply because your hand is WAYYYYY under-represented. You have played it so KK and QQ have chances to bluff or be "value-bet". What serious hand do you place him on that the turn/river improve?

infinite_loop
07-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Fold. This is a set or flush enough of the time.

blah-blah-blah
07-11-2007, 07:38 PM
yea you have to bet the flop. i say fold the river unless you have history that he is capable of overbet shoving as a bluff.

BevillTheDevil
07-11-2007, 07:39 PM
pf looks good, Flop check is ok boards not drawy and bettin probably folds out alot of hand we beat probably really only gets called by hands that beat us (though i could see KK callin). Turn im not sure if i like a raise or call?? I think just callin does make us look really weak and if villian is aggro he could put us on a tough river spot like this 1. Raising the turn really lets us know where we stand, probably helps us a aviod a tough river spot but probably folds out a lot of hands we beat possibly losing value on river...I think it really comes down to if you think villian is aggro enough to make a move like this on the river with like TT, QQ-KK. If villian isnt aggro i think its a pretty easy fold. But tbh im not really sure what is best here.

pepper123
07-11-2007, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yea you have to bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? We're not stacking KK/QQ by betting the flop. Are you bet/folding if he c/rs ai? Calling seems like a spew. He's obv not folding any better hands and there's no draws out there.

members_only
07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I think I'd fold the river. The small bet on the turn followed by the overbet looks like he's trying to catch up on the value front (maybe a missed check-raise with JJ or AJ.) He could conceivably be betting AT for value (putting you on KK/QQ), but other than that you're only beating a bluff.

The question then is how likely he is to be bluffing. You are looking quite bluffable, and he might have decided to turn a decent hand like TT into a bluff on the turn. But without any particular read I think it's still a fold.

Your having reraised the hand just before might make villain call with a wider range of starting hands, but I doubt it would induce him to get particularly jiggy after the flop.

pepper123
07-11-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising the turn really lets us know where we stand

[/ QUOTE ]

A pot sized turn raise is a shove, so yeah, I guess we'd know where we stood.

BevillTheDevil
07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raising the turn really lets us know where we stand

[/ QUOTE ]

A pot sized turn raise is a shove, so yeah, I guess we'd know where we stood.

[/ QUOTE ]

a pot sized raise isnt a shove and obv dont make a post size raise.

pepper123
07-11-2007, 08:00 PM
16+8.50+8.50 = 33 + 8.50 = make it $41.50 total. That's a shove.

iwa
07-12-2007, 12:07 AM
This is a fold. I'm not sure why you're not betting the flop or why people are telling you it's a good line to check this flop. If you get c/r ai you can get away from the hand easy. But you have no idea where you're at compared to his hand otherwise. He calls loose and raises loose, I wouldn't automatically put him on a hand you don't have beat.