PDA

View Full Version : KK - what do I do about this donkbettor

losingdonkey
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh))

<u>SB: $8.95</u>
<u>hero (BB): $20.55</u>
UTG: $10.10
MP: $5.15
CO: $84.50
BTN: $9.95

Preflop: hero is dealt K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (6 Players)
4 folds, SB calls $0.05, <font color="red">hero raises to $0.45</font>, SB calls $0.35
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to hero

Flop: ($0.90) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.30</font>, <font color="red">hero raises to $1.45</font>, SB calls $1.15

Turn: ($3.80) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.50</font>, hero calls $0.50

River: ($4.80) A/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $4.30

TheRenaissance
07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
I hate this spot.
Dont think there is much you can do differently.
Turn raise is optional, but he will have an ace a lot I think.
I fold river fwiw.

elmopoker
07-11-2007, 05:21 PM
looks like flush draw maybe AJ. Turn call is fine because of odds, I fold river though.

beavens
07-11-2007, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate this spot.
Dont think there is much you can do differently.
Turn raise is optional, but he will have an ace a lot I think.
I fold river fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't say i agree with you.. i definitely dont think he's holding the A here.

the weak turn bet screams to me that has a pair we are dominating and he wants to push us off our hand on the river.

Nick C
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
To me, it mostly looks like he caught his flush, but it's possible he's betting big on the river because his turn bet didn't work. And the fact that he raised preflop should somewhat limit the flush combos he could have, so that's a point in your favor.

AJ is a concern, and he might even have stabbed at the flop (as sort of a stab, sort of a blocking bet, and sort of just a plain old donkbet) with, like AT. Still, I think it's the flush and full house possibilities that worry me most (he did call your flop raise, after all), but I would probably call anyway.

Edit: Damn, I'm reading badly today. Now that I see he didn't raise preflop, I'm much more worried about a flush than before and much less worried about AJ. The number of flush combos is now very large, though, and I think I would grudgingly fold the river.

cubase
07-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Semi-grunch.

You've indicated no read/stats on the villian, but here are my reads:

Villian hasn't reloaded to full. I don't know if that is because he just lost the last hand and didn't have time to reload, or because he started out with $5 and won a few pots.

He weak leads, calls raises weak leads. This is typical of a passive calling stationish type.

I'd like to see this played differently.

In my 10NL experience, the 1/3 donk bet here is going to be I hit the board, probably top pair. I expect to see KJ, QJ, TJ. I'm not worried about AJ.

If he had a flush draw, a very weak jack, or something like A3 or A9, or K3s, or K9s, I'd expect one of two things. A .10 or .20 donk bet, or a check/call. If he is holding A3 or A9, then I will see him get active on the turn. I'd expect either a strong donk bet or a weak-donk or a check. If he weak donks or checks and you raise, you fold to a shove.

His weak donk into the turn tells me I still have a J and I don't like the ace, do you have one? Don't disappoint.

Here's where I play different. I go ahead and raise and fold to a shove. If he has KJ or QJ, he probably isn't going anywhere, but the A will scare him, and if he is indeed passive, he will switch to check-call mode, giving you the option to check the river or value bet based on you reads of this player.

If he calls the raise and checks the river, I can choose to value bet or check behind. What I choose to depends on my opponent. If I have few notes on him and and need to add more, I will check as well, note his holding. If I already have significant notes such as ("value bet me to death"), I will make a value bet here, probably just putting him all in. If he shows up with an ace (or some other odd hand) so be it, I will note it and adjust accordingly in the future.

You also may have sucked out on him by the river if he had some holding like J3s or J6s, but he will still call a reasonable river bet with it thinking AAJJ is still good.

If you have additional reads or stats, feel free to add them (I'll look over the rest of the post to see if someone else requested them, and if so, update accordingly)

Obviously I have a specific type of player in mind based on his betting pattern so be sure to take the above in context.

My .5/.10 cents.

Edit: As played, I'm snap calling the river. If you had raised the turn you would have invested an additional $3 + maybe called a small river bet or invested another $3+ as a value bet if he checked to you. Total it up and on average you would have invested an amount similiar to his river bet. Since you played the turn so weak you've under-represented your hand (maybe you have TT?). The door is wide open for you opponent to either feel he has the best of it (AAJJ) and value bet, or bluff because you've shown weakness.

I call, take my notes and adjust. If he has the flush note his betting pattern. If he has a J, note the betting pattern. If he has air, note the betting pattern.

Mr_Pathetic
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Fold river. If you have a read that he bets small on draw then calls raises then raise turn otherwise at least call turn. This line tends to be a flush draw most of the time. He bets small then all of sudden when the flush hits he pots it. Villain probably knows pot odds but still cannot fold to your raise(s). Only the club changed the size of his bets not the ace.

boycalledroy
07-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Raise up the turn all day and all of the night. Make it about 3 to go. Then when he shoves the river you can fold knowing that you showed 2 streets of aggression and he still donked river!

Horatio1
07-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Grunch
His small leads look like blocking bets, looking for a cheap draw with clubs or a showdown with 2 Js. I might raise the turn here, maybe 2.50-3.00 and fold a reraise or substantial river bet.

As played, fold, unless you have a read that he will bluff a scare card &gt; 30%

AroundTheHorn
07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
there's no a whole lot you beat imo. you lose to an A, a FD, and of course a boat. i don't think you're ahead more than 1/3 of the time to call this bet, i think its a fold

gimmetheloot
07-11-2007, 11:44 PM
make it ~4 on turn. fold river as played.

holdme
07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
easy fold, everything's there