PDA

View Full Version : Questionable flop decision

Bonk
07-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey folks,

First time poster in this forum - I must start out and say that I've been browsing through the uSNL FAQs and Poo-bah quite a lot recently and was really impressed with quality of posts. They helped me a lot with my game.

On to the hand. I'm enjoying my time, multi-tabling on stars 0.1$ FR tables, when the following hand comes up:

Table is great, very loose pre, not much hand reading going on.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter (http://www.learnhowtoplaypokerfree.com/convert/convert.cgi) Courtesy of PokerZion.com (http://PokerZion.com)

MP1 ($1.90)
MP2 ($6.05)
MP3 ($6.30)
CO ($7)
Button ($11)
SB ($9.05)
BB ($4.60)
UTG ($11.95)
Hero ($5.40)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.55) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.2</font>, Hero calls $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $1</font>, CO folds, BB calls $0.80, Hero calls $0.80, MP2 calls $0.80.

(Rest of hand is unimportant IMO)

Main question is: Who raises flop, to which amount and why. The reason I didn't pop BB's 1/2 pot bet was due to the following reasons:
A. I want callers, and there are a bunch of potential customers out there
B. I am OOP
C. If I am behind and drawing - I want better expressed odds if the bet is raised and by disguising the strength of my hand - I greatly increase my implied odds if I fill-up

I'm not by anyway slow-playing this hand. I really believed that with this board, there's good chance I'm behind and I gain a lot more value by just calling than raising sky-high and getting blown-away of the hand if re-raised.

Your thoughts?

relativity_x
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
welcome to the forum. I have no experience in FR cash games, so I'm not so sure if limping 88 in ep is a good thing to do?

Bonk
07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
As stated in post - table is soft and very loose PF.

I didn't think I gain great value from raising small pocket-pairs from this position, especially I'm going to get called by a lot of players with a lot of over-cards.

ama0330
07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey dude, you should post this in the FULL RING forum which is one below this one. This forum deals mostly with 6-max games.

Having said that, your preflop play is fine, but you should DEFINITELY be getting it all in on this board. To my mind if you are afraid of getting it in with top set here then you are playing scared. If he has the straight then you just got unlucky, but you never want to be in this hand 5 WAYS on the turn, no way. I go broke on this flop.

beavens
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
what exactly are you behind?

you think someone has exactly 45 or 9T?

with all that action on a wet board i want my monies in there ASAP.

you'll see this type of action with lower sets, overcards, overpaids, flush draws, straight draws - hell, anything.

you are behind very little right now and should shove as much cash into that pot while you can.

wrkingtobegreat
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
The reason you want to get your money in on the flop is that there are flush draws and straight draws out there that you want to get out/force to call with unfavorable odds.

ben wb
07-11-2007, 03:03 PM
You can't get blown away on this flop, especially not with 50bb because I'm never folding a set on the flop ever at nl10. I'd raise to at least $1, try to get it all in.

boycalledroy
07-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Get it all in you don't want to see a HELL of a lot of cards. Shove and hope you snag somebody with a pair and a draw.

Bonk
07-12-2007, 03:15 AM
My reasoning for not getting all-in was that there are multitude of possible draws out there that I'm fully aware of (= I won't pay them off if they make it). These draws are *likely* to call my bet and have at least 20% equity if I shove. Also - note there are multitude straight combinations here, quite possibly straight + FD combinations, against which I'm basically flipping. If I am going to make a big bet, shouldn't I wait for the turn and get it in with a way better equity?

I can't see why I should rush this flop and either take down a small pot or play for stacks as a small dog/favorite. Further still - if I fill up and a draw gets there, he/she will have HARD time laying his hand down.

cooker3
07-12-2007, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning for not getting all-in was that there are multitude of possible draws out there that I'm fully aware of (= I won't pay them off if they make it). These draws are *likely* to call my bet and have at least 20% equity if I shove. Also - note there are multitude straight combinations here, quite possibly straight + FD combinations, against which I'm basically flipping. If I am going to make a big bet, shouldn't I wait for the turn and get it in with a way better equity?

I can't see why I should rush this flop and either take down a small pot or play for stacks as a small dog/favorite. Further still - if I fill up and a draw gets there, he/she will have HARD time laying his hand down.

[/ QUOTE ]

30bb is not that small a pot. Being a small dog/favourite with so much in the pot already is not a bad thing, also your are miles ahead of the range so I don't think your any of the above.
3 hands beat you, but so many more could do so on the turn and you want to make them pay so ship it!

DaycareInferno
07-12-2007, 03:35 AM
you lose more "customers" by not betting these flops anyway, because a lot of times people's hands look a lot worse on the turn than the flop, especially with a low flop. you lose more money by not getting max value out of small top pairs and small overpairs than you'll ever gain by slowplaying, draws on the board or not.

Bonk
07-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Few last points on my behalf – as I think I hammered this forum enough with this specific hand, and especially because it seems that everyone here is unanimous regarding raise/shove.

1. Someone having top pair here is unlikely as I have the top set. I don't think one will see here a lot of overpairs too, as it's an unraised pot.
2. I'm not a huge favorite against the possible draws - therefore I can't be winning huge amounts of money of them, at least not on the flop.
3. It's perfectly understandable why one would want to push this flop and 'price-out' draws, but by 'pricing out' you are denying your opponents the chance of making a bigger mistake on later streets. Suppose I have the best hand and pop this right away to say about PSR and get a flush draw caller - I don't win much, even though he doesn't have the right expressed odds. Suppose I shove, most draws will probably fold - and again I don't gain much value.
4. If my hand WAS an over-pair or other strong-but-no-great holding - then raising here is probably a must as it’s highly vulnerable and I want the pot right away, but with top set holding I’m having great equity across the *entire* range and I don’t think I should mind some good, multi-way action.

Thank you for all your input and help guys. /images/graemlins/smile.gif