PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set, 3 flush board turns 4 flush

jimpo
07-11-2007, 05:31 AM
A bit difficult spot with a set. Sorry, no good inline hand history, converters don't support B2B:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1252853

Players(max 6):
72_of (EUR 53.59 in seat 1) 35/14/0.8, 40 hands
morfar15 (EUR 25.00 in seat 2)
Cerzio (EUR 62.48 in seat 3)
poker_313 (EUR 38.56 in seat 4)
Hero (EUR 56.80 in seat 5)
BEFO (EUR 50.00 in seat 6)

Dealer: poker_313
Small Blind: Hero (0.25)
Big Blind: BEFO (0.50)

Hero was dealt: 8s - 8d

72_of Raise (2.00)
Cerzio Fold
poker_313 Fold
Hero Call (1.75)
BEFO Call (1.50)

call for set value, I guess sometimes this could be a raise too

Flop 8h - Ah - 9h

Sweet, flopped a set. I generally am not scared with these monotone board sets, I find that often enough I am against a flush draw or a scared TP who puts me on a flush draw and I get my money in good. No reason to check and risk a free heart on turn. Leading out, hoping that preflop raiser comes over the top and I can get all in on the flop.

Hero Bet (4.75)
BEFO Fold
72_of Call (4.75)

Turn 8h - Ah - 9h - 4h

OK, this sucks a bit, I am OOP and there's 4 hearts out. My logic for betting out (70% of pot)

- there's some chance that he has Ax without a heart and I would rather bet and win the pot than check, be faced a bet and a really difficult river unless the board pairs.
- if I get called I pretty much know that I am behind, but still got lots of outs and can win a decent pot if I hit one, he will not fold to river bet easily if he calls turn
- if I get raised I can be 100% sure he is not bluffing and I don't fold the best hand

Hero Bet (9.25)
72_of Call (9.25)

River 8h - Ah - 9h - 4h - 6s

crap. Just have to hope for a miracle (free showdown + Ax no hearts), and otherwise give up
Hero Check
72_of All-In (37.59)
Hero Fold

I am mainly interested in the turn thought process. Also, what's your line if turn is a blank and river is a heart?

Genz
07-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Recently, I've been unsure about calling raises oop for set value in 6max. I overcall this everytime, but like this, I actually probably either reraise or fold here.

I think the rest of the hand is standard. AKo, AQo, KK, QQ with a heart in them will not let it go here. So no reason to float or something. I like the bet/3bet-line, although it puts you in a tough spot on this turn. Often letting him have the initiative is good here, because he probably bets more hands than he will continue with if you donk into him and IME most villains will not raise with TP here, no matter if they hold a heart or not. So the bet/3bet line often does not work out.
As played, your hand is never good on the river, imo.

Heine
07-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I agree with Genz, especially preflop. On the other hand, calling has its merits if you have a read on the big blind. If its a TAG with 22-18 stats. You should raise/fold. If its a 40-4 then you should be calling. In your action when you don't close it, you have to consider what the last person is likely to do, and that should effect your decision.

River is a fold. Even if it is a bluff, he could be bluffing with the 2 of hearts.

jimpo
07-11-2007, 07:11 AM
No one disagrees with betting the turn?

Genz
07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I like your reasoning as long as you are confident that a call means that you are beat. Of course you could check/call and hope that he might decide to bluff you or that he even checks behind. But you could win a sizable pot on an unfortunate board by betting. But you can't win it by calling. So if you are planning to call a bet, you can bet yourself when you are confident that you are behind when called or raised. And it might work as a blocker because villain might decide to bet a full pot what would hurt your implied odds and probably would force you to fold.