PDA

View Full Version : Do we Call raises all the time with suited connecters?

Capone
07-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Basically, If someone opens to us and we have suited connects in position do we ALWAYS call a raise? What factors affect our decision?

Also, what if we are in early position with suited connectors what do we do usually?

How does stack size change the picutre?

filsteal
07-11-2007, 01:31 AM
No, we don't always call. We're more likely to call if stacks are deeper (100BB+) or if the preflop raiser plays badly postflop (either by stacking off too much or by playing weak-tight).

As for your other question, in EP at a full table, I usually just fold. In 6-max EP (BTN+2 or BTN+3), I fold sometimes and raise sometimes, depending on the table and situation.

Capone
07-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Intresting, so I guess the larger the stack sizes the more inclined we should be to play suited connectors.

As for the bad play part I understand if he stacks off to much and we hit our straight or flush we are getting played off.

But how does our decision get affect if the player is tight aggressive or weak-tight? By weak what do you mean? Why should we be more incline to call against a weak tight?

(Sorry if my questions are newbish, just trying to learn/get some good discussion going THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE)

Capone
07-11-2007, 01:43 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't really take stack size into consideration, I have a lot of learning to do before I think about playing again.

As for the weak tight what do you mean/how does that change our decision./

Knuckles
07-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Stack size has a lot to do with calling a raise here. When someone raises 4 bbs you are not getting the pot odds necessary to call. You need the implied odds that if you hit your hand the villain will put his stack in to call. Most of the time you are going to whiff on the flop, other times your draw won't come in, so you need large implied odds to play the hand.

A weak tight opponent will give you opportunities to draw to the best hand. He may give you odds to draw. Also, you can either semi-bluff him or make free card plays and get him to fold.

filsteal
07-11-2007, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A weak tight opponent will give you opportunities to draw to the best hand. He may give you odds to draw. Also, you can either semi-bluff him or make free card plays and get him to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, in the extreme case, if he just check-folds flops he misses, then he's bleeding money all over the floor, and you get to mop it up.

Capone
07-11-2007, 01:53 AM
THanks guys. So basically it is very stack/opponent dependant you are saying?

I can see that our stack size is crucial in these choices.

Knuckles
07-11-2007, 01:56 AM
I would suggest the two no-limit books from 2+2 publishing written by Ed Miller and Sklansky that are in books stores right now. They give a very good treatment of these subjects.

M.Goodcat
07-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Yes, and as Sklansky says, suited connectors love multi way pot, my strategy is to call a raise if there were many limpers before the raiser that will be likely to call the raise. Depends on the raise amount. If you hit, there will be at least one or two good customers.