PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio Overreacts to David Singer Cellphone Incident

doublejoker
07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
from Cardplayer.com

Phone Penalties
The Bellagio has instituted a harsh penalty for the use of a cellphone at the table. If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone, at the table, they will be given a 20-minute penalty, regardless if the player was in the hand or not. The tournament directors have made it clear that if a player receives a call, he must take it away from the table.

RR
07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from Cardplayer.com

Phone Penalties
The Bellagio has instituted a harsh penalty for the use of a cellphone at the table. If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone, at the table, they will be given a 20-minute penalty, regardless if the player was in the hand or not. The tournament directors have made it clear that if a player receives a call, he must take it away from the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 20 minute penlaty is often less harsh than having your hand killed.

stickdude
07-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Is it common in multi-day tournaments to just make up rules as you go along?

pineapple888
07-10-2007, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

W brad
07-10-2007, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they will be given a 20-minute penalty, regardless if the player was in the hand or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that will certainly stop people colluding in the hands they have folded. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

riverdance
07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which tourney are they in the middle of? i believe the wpt event started today, hence the announcement of the rule change.

stickdude
07-10-2007, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which tourney are they in the middle of? i believe the wpt event started today, hence the announcement of the rule change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point - thought OP was talking about the WSOP.

Ignore my question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

doublejoker
07-10-2007, 09:10 PM
This is at the Bellagio Cup III

CincyLady
07-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Good, I hope it will cause some of these young kids to turn off their phones and not have them growing out of their ears and such for a period of time.

I mean there are normally breaks at worst every 2 hours, and one can check their voice mail systems at that time.

Ppl keep saying, well, what about an emergency? Well, back before pagers and cell phones, if it was a TRUE emergency they'd call where the person was at and have someone get them and say it was a life or death kind of thing.

Otherwise, it could wait until later when the person would check in at home.

LuckyTxGuy
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Bellagio has instituted a harsh penalty for the use of a cellphone at the table. If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why tell us that the iPhone is included? Is there any reason to assume it would not be included? How stupid.

antipeon
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why tell us that the iPhone is included? Is there any reason to assume it would not be included? How stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed!

realwtf
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Bellagio has instituted a harsh penalty for the use of a cellphone at the table. If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It is from Apple and most "Apple" people think they are special so it is just good to give them an extra heads up.

kerr
07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If any person is caught using a cellphone, and that includes the new Iphone, at the table, they will be given a 20-minute penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely ridiculous. Why does the TDA go to the trouble of changing time penalties to round penalties when no one is going to follow suit? Penalties should be 1-, 2- or 3 orbits.

MrFizzbin
07-10-2007, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Phone Penalties
If any person is caught using a cellphone, they will be given a 20-minute penalty,

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the TDA concept of laps or rounds.... (one lap of the button versus time) to minimize the impact that timed penalties have on later stages of tournaments. Or is this supposed to be a 2 round automatic ? Randy, Matt, someone please clarify.

BJ Nemeth
07-10-2007, 10:27 PM
The iPhone is included because it is often used strictly as an iPod. That use of an iPhone is banned as well, because the TDs wouldn't be able to easily distinguish how the iPhone was being used. (You can take phone calls over the same earphones used to listen to music.)

If a player wants to use an iPod, that's fine. But if a player wants to use the iPhone as an iPod (but not as a cellphone), then they are S.O.L.

This obviously applies to all phones that have music-playing capabilities, but since most of them suck for listening to music, it's seldom been a problem to this point.

RR
07-10-2007, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Phone Penalties
If any person is caught using a cellphone, they will be given a 20-minute penalty,

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened to the TDA concept of laps or rounds.... (one lap of the button versus time) to minimize the impact that timed penalties have on later stages of tournaments. Or is this supposed to be a 2 round automatic ? Randy, Matt, someone please clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not currently in Vegas so I don't know if this was a mistake by the OP or if this will be a time penalty. I do beleive that Jack M. knows better than the TDA.

Victor
07-11-2007, 01:15 AM
rofl this is so dumb. pls let make it easier for my goons to see hands.

TheFilmGeek
07-11-2007, 03:26 AM
I don't even understand how this relates to the David Singer incident, considering the controversy in that situation was that it's disputed as to what the definition of "using your cellphone" is.

The incident involving David would still be just a big a problem with Bellagio's version of the rule. Is silencing your phone when it's ringing while you're in a hand "using your phone"? Would the Bellagio floor staff rule the same as the Rio's?

doublejoker
07-11-2007, 06:00 AM
I was in the SS tonite and I was told that indeed it was a 20 minute penalty; not rounds. In the late stages of the SS this could easily cost you a 10k seat

PokeReader
07-11-2007, 06:54 AM
That is stupid. The whole point of going to rounds was that penalties should be of even weight, whether in the beginning or end of a tourney. From what I heard, the person in the Singer hand took his phone out to turn to turn the ringer off, and thus briefly, (like 3 sec.), had the face of the phone in view. I read that the rest of the table thought his hand should have been killed.