PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is the Party store REALLY expensive?

EricW
02-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Can someone tell me if my math is correct here? Say if I wanted to get the Sony 26 inch LCD TV which costs 280,000 Party points.

Let's say I am a sit n go player, and more specifically, a $22 multitabler. Let's say I play 35 sit n gos in a day, 6 days a week.

So each month, I would have played 840 sit n gos a month, each sit n go at the $20 level gets 6 Party points which accumulates to 5040 Party points and that is $1680 in rake.

So under that play, it would take me 280000/5040 = 55.6 months to get that TV. Moreover, it would have cost me about $93,408 in rake before getting a lousy TV.

This seems like a huge rip off to me. Can anyone tell me why I would do this Party points thing rather than the Pokerstars VIP /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Waiting 56 months and paying $93,000 in rake for a TV seems kind of [censored]

snowbank
02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
This seems like a huge rip off to me. Can anyone tell me why I would do this Party points thing rather than the Pokerstars VIP

You wouldn't, you would play PokerStars if you want the best deal for stuff in the stores. To get the porsche on PokerStars, would be the same as an NL player on Party getting a few TV's, maybe a pair of sunglasses and on top. btw, there's already a thread in this forum about the Party store, and how expensive it is.

thing85
02-23-2006, 08:43 PM
What the hell are you guys complaining about? Considering Party points have been, for the most part, worthless, it would appear as though these deals are not ripoffs, regardless of how much you pay in rake to get them. You're paying rake either way if you are a regular Party player, so this stuff is really becomes an added bonus. How can you call these products "expensive" when you don't need to do anything extra to get them (since you're paying rake either way)?

snowbank
02-23-2006, 08:47 PM
How can you call these products "expensive" when you don't need to do anything extra to get them

I believe I was comparing PokerStars to Party points in my response. And yes, it is an added bonus. And yes, it is expensive, although not in a common, 'spending money to buy something' sense of the word.

threeonefour
02-23-2006, 09:33 PM
party has affiliate(rakeback) a vip program AND a store. and you get points for depositing and on a weekly basis and there are happy hours. and the whole point system is geared toward limit players in the first place. its the best game for the house so they obviously want to promote it. at a gold level, playing midlimit holdem you earn more points quicker than you would at stars, obviously. then again pokerstars points are worth more money per point.

it seems like people think a stars point it worth 1.6 cents so a party point should be too. but they use a totally different system. i think both sites are comparable at this point.

party's lineup of promotions is the best on the net right now imo. at least for my personal situation, i understand if you are a NL player or a low volume player etc. there could definitely be better places to be.

at any rate, who on earth would expect the party store to be just as good as the stars store. i think the party store is good and the stars store is fantastic. but stars doesn't pay me hundreds in bonus per week or write me a rakeback check at the end of the month.

if there is a concern with the store i think it should be with the stuff they chose if anything. I am trying to read up on that BX laptop offered in america, apparently the line has been discontinued, i am not sure though but its hard to find much useful information on that line of the vaio published in 2006. i asked party for the specific specs on that laptop but they haven't got back to me yet

thing85
02-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Very good points. Additionally, I think inventory will be a big problem down the line (i.e. Party says "sorry, we're temporarily out of this item" for a lot of the high priced stuff).

threeonefour
02-23-2006, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very good points. Additionally, I think inventory will be a big problem down the line (i.e. Party says "sorry, we're temporarily out of this item" for a lot of the high priced stuff).

[/ QUOTE ]thank you. i agree it will be interesting to see how both sites deal with their inventory and if they keep it up to date. i imagine Ipod will be very popular at both sites. also the 2001FP at stars.

it will be quite sad if three years from now both sites are just offering the same old stuff too. i hope they both stay fresh and rotate items in and out. though that might be asking a lot.

i am kind of worried it is going to take me a long time to earn that laptop and by that time it will already be out of date (it doesn't look so stellar at the current time).

snowbank
02-24-2006, 01:39 AM
NL player or a low volume player etc. there could definitely be better places to be.

Where in your opinion would be the best place for a NL player to play?

Scotch78
02-24-2006, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since pretty much everyone has the same rake for NL games, I'd look for soft games and rakeback.

Scott

threeonefour
02-24-2006, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NL player or a low volume player etc. there could definitely be better places to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly, i think the answer is still party or stars. of course i am no expert on the matter but i don't think there is anyone out there that can compete with the two big dogs. absolute and ultimate bet and full tilt are probably also options. i don't know the state of UB and full tilt's promotion/bonus programs so thats worth investigating yourself. when it comes down to it, party and stars are huge, thats means more games available and generally more profitable games.

if you are playing really low, i guess you should always been clearing a bonus as well as getting rakeback since that helps the bottom line a lot. so in that specific case, i am guessing party or absolute. if you do choose absolute it should probably be with the goal of eventually moving up and going to party/stars once you pulled yourself up by the bootstraps and got to the ~2-4 NL level or so. whichever you choose get rakeback of course...

warlock
02-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Pokerstars are just ordering directly from Dell on your behalf when they get your FPP order, so i don't think inventory is an issue there.