PDA

View Full Version : WA St. Gambling Comm. seizes computers of Seattle-based company

TheMathProf
07-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Article linked, FYI:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/323064_gambling10.html

wheelflush
07-10-2007, 07:16 PM
interesting article, but i don't think he'll win.

TomG
07-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Nick Jenkins is a moron. He's operating a betting exchange within the US hoping to skirt the law on a technicality. The irony is that even if his website doesn't meet the legal definition of gambling because it does not accept or back its bets, that same technicality results in a major hole in his business model. Why would anyone use a site that won't guarantee payment of winning bets when there are perfectly legit betting exchanges offshore that will guarantee their bets??

That being said, I believe any publicity surrounding Washington State's strict anti-internet gambling laws is helpful towards getting the law changed. So thank you Nick Jenkins.

Legislurker
07-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Yeah we need people willing to go to court, raise a fuss, and get in the news. I wonder what the legality/practicality would be of having sites have tourneys where half the buy-ins went ot legal defense funds of people willing to challenge gambling laws in court.

Grasshopp3r
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Washington is in a very liberal district court, so perhaps the courts will be our friend.